Sponsored

Warn winch install, does this look right?

Ribixcon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Rubicon
I installed my warn winch yesterday and I am not confident it all went well.

It was very very difficult to get the bumper back on. I a looking at the result now and it seems to me the winch is tilted forward too much, please check the picture and provide any compare pictures if possible.

I have not tested it yet but I did notice that I can not get the free spool handle to go to engage. I simply can’t turn it.
Will this work when I run it back and forth a bit under power?

Thanks for any advise. New to winches myself.

Dennis

C7F32C39-FC92-431B-BCFE-4E7AE4C70AC8.jpeg
Sponsored

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

It was very very difficult to get the bumper back on. I a looking at the result now and it seems to me the winch is tilted forward too much, please check the picture and provide any compare pictures if possible.

I have not tested it yet but I did notice that I can not get the free spool handle to go to engage. I simply can’t turn it.

Dennis

I installed with Rusty’s (one-piece) plate, so angle was set by the frame & bumper mount.
A quick look at yours, and I’d say you’ve got too much forward pitch on the bottom plate. You should (with the right Warn model) be able to turn the clutch handle.

I would not use it in that set-up, as the geometry will be pulling “up” on the plate, not horizontal to it.

Someone who used a multi piece plate could probably give you pointers on where mounting went awry.

OP
OP
Ribixcon

Ribixcon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed with Rusty’s (one-piece) plate, so angle was set by the frame & bumper mount.
A quick look at yours, and I’d say you’ve got too much forward pitch on the bottom plate. You should (with the right Warn model) be able to turn the clutch handle.

I would not use it in that set-up, as the geometry will be pulling “up” on the plate, not horizontal to it.

Someone who used a multi piece plate could probably give you pointers on where mounting went awry.
Thank you for the insights. I would appreciate If anybody can give me pointers how to correct the angle.

Ed El Man

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Ducati XDiavel S, 2011 Ducati 848 Evo, 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grandtouring (the beater)
Vehicle Showcase

SONofHELGI

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Something that sounds technical, but it's not.

Dennis

The only way to correct it if it's wrong is to take the bumper off again and re-look at the setup.

I'm putting mine on (this'll be my 3rd one in the stock bumper) next week and I can give you pictures of the end result and angle.

Do you have the 10-S winch with 90 degree turn for the free spool? If you don't that's going to be an issue that'll require some southern engineering to correct. If you do have the 10-S but you have to spin the free spool 180 to disengage, Warn will send you a free kit to turn it into a 90 turn setup.

Before you start taking everything apart, just look and see if the winch is sitting flat against the plate or if there might be something, like the grounding cord, that might be under the back causing the angle.

Hope this helps or at least sets you down the right path.

If it's still not right. Please answer"
1. What winch plate do you install?
2. What model Warn winch?

Sponsored

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
I installed a Rusty's winch plate and Smittybuilt winch with a RR Spartacus bumper. Here is a pic of the winch plate with winch mounted on it.
IMG_0035.JPG

Did your's look like this when mounted?
IMG_0034.JPG

OP
OP
Ribixcon

Ribixcon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed a Rusty's winch plate and Smittybuilt winch with a RR Spartacus bumper. Here is a pic of the winch plate with winch mounted on it.
IMG_0035.JPG

Did your's look like this when mounted?
IMG_0034.JPG
I took my bumper off and checked the setup. There was nothing wrong, and I ended up just putting it back together. I did put 2 little spacers on the front to make it sit a little more level.
The brackets that I have are going to sit directly on the front of the frame. So the angle of the plate is fixed.

Thanks everyone ! Keep wheeling
Dennis

OP
OP
Ribixcon

Ribixcon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the end result. Also mounted the light bar that came with the winch

DB861FFE-258E-4408-9D2A-E58C40F6D91D.jpeg

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
What winch plate are you using? If it's the WARN plate, your winch should be angled down a little. This was done by WARN intentionally to prevent contact between the winch control section and the Jeep's grill, which can pinch the cabling and cause wear through the cabling insulation. This angle does not interfere with the proper operation of the winch or the proper spooling of the winch line (assuming you positioned it correctly before tightening everything down).

I would remove the spacers you added. They will prevent the winch base from sitting flush against the plate, which weakens the overall structural integrity of that mount.

@SONofHELGI is correct that if your clutch switch doesn't rotate fully, it's most likely due to the 180 switch issue he mentioned. Contact WARN and they will send you a free conversion kit to resolve this.
Sponsored