NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
All you did here is show that there are different scales/units of measurements for temperature. Farhenheit, Celsius & Kelvin. They don’t scale 1:1 relative to each other. If you say the temperature went from 50F to 100F it then did in fact doubled in temperature relative to the Farenheit scale; not so much when compared to the Celsius and Kelvin scale. It’s all RELATIVE to the system you’re using.

I cannot think of another system that scales in differences quite like these temperature scales, most everything scales evenly 1:1 relative to each other.
Then what temperature would be twice of 0F?
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
So, yeah, understanding basic scientific concepts that you should have learned in high school is important in your day to day life.
Screw it- I’ll just be the one to say it: in this case- is it?

Though I am sure you’re a good guy, but being pretentious about laws of thermal dynamics in relation to headliners on a Jeep isn’t something I subscribe to. Further, basic Marketing 101 would state that you would advertise to your audience. The audience wouldn’t want a 3 page statement of math to show that you save a few degrees on your noggin and it’s quieter.

Yes, science is important. Yes, education is important. I have 2 degrees and even teach classes in my spare time. But I also find it overly irritating when someone attacks others for the assumption of being dumb (sleeping through class) over a simple notation about a product’s benefits. Not everyone needs to know about the laws of thermal dynamics or energy transference in their daily life. Sometimes the results are just fine.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
"NavyVet1959": Since 0 F is +460 F above absolute zero...twice O F would be 920 F. What I was trying to get at was that people with marginal knowledge of what they're talking about shouldn't come off like they are experts. For example, some of our politicians.

JoeBowler300

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Because if you are going to use the English language, you should do it accurately. And to claim that there is an 18% increase in temperature is totally inaccurate since temperature is a measure of heat energy and there was most definitely not an 18% increase in heat energy.

Understanding basic concepts like this is important. For example, let's say that you start out with the air in your tires at 30 psi and you are at 30F. If you drive for awhile, possibly to a warmer location and the tire temperature raises to 90F, then by the mistaken logic implied in the above posts, that would mean a 300% increase in temperature which according to the Ideal Gas Law would meant that the pressure would also increase by 300%, so the tire would be at 90 psi. In actually, the calculated pressure would be about 33.68 psi.

So, yeah, understanding basic scientific concepts that you should have learned in high school is important in your day to day life.
Negative Ghost Rider! You’re implying air pressure rises 1 psi for every 1 degree of temperature increase on the Fahrenheit scale when in fact a simple Google search on “ air pressure change per temperature” yields this answer, “For every increase of 10 degrees in temperature, your air pressure will increase by approximately 1 psi. For every drop of 10 degrees in temperature, your air pressure can decrease by approximately 1 psi.”

This is liken to saying “For ever 1 degree Fahrenheit rise in temperature the Kelvin’s temperature scale will rise 1/10th of a unit”.

There was no mistaken logic in my previous post, there is some in yours. I stayed within the same realm of measurement of the temperature scale being used, double the number you doubled the temperature, pretty simple! If you measure against a different scale of measurement no it doesn’t double. As I said, it’s relative to the measurement scale you’re using. You tried to show an example of how temperature affects air pressure and by using my previous post’s logic I’d be way wrong. Well... you went outside the measurement scale and brought in an influencing factor but of a different scale. It’s like trying to prove voltage doubled in some circuit by halving the resistance of the circuit with an ammeter used as the measurement scale; two different things. Keep it on the same measuring scale and double the value is doubled the value!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
"NavyVet1959": Since 0 F is +460 F above absolute zero...twice O F would be 920 F. What I was trying to get at was that people with marginal knowledge of what they're talking about shouldn't come off like they are experts. For example, some of our politicians.
Or to be more accurate:
0F = 459.67R
* 2 = 919.34R
= 459.67F

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Negative Ghost Rider! You’re implying air pressure rises 1 psi for every 1 degree of temperature increase on the Fahrenheit scale when in fact a simple Google search on “ air pressure change per temperature” yields this answer, “For every increase of 10 degrees in temperature, your air pressure will increase by approximately 1 psi. For every drop of 10 degrees in temperature, your air pressure can decrease by approximately 1 psi.”

This is liken to saying “For ever 1 degree Fahrenheit rise in temperature the Kelvin’s temperature scale will rise 1/10th of a unit”.

There was no mistaken logic in my previous post, there is some in yours. I stayed within the same realm of measurement of the temperature scale being used, double the number you doubled the temperature, pretty simple! If you measure against a different scale of measurement no it doesn’t double. As I said, it’s relative to the measurement scale you’re using. You tried to show an example of how temperature affects air pressure and by using my previous post’s logic I’d be way wrong. Well... you went outside the measurement scale and brought in an influencing factor but of a different scale. It’s like trying to prove voltage doubled in some circuit by halving the resistance of the circuit with an ammeter used as the measurement scale; two different things. Keep it on the same measuring scale and double the value is doubled the value!
No, I'm saying that using the "logic" of a previous post while using the Ideal Gas Law on it, you would get that whereas in actually, it is quite a bit less.
P1/T1 = P2/T2
30 psi / 30F = P2/90F
30 psi * 90F / 30F = P2
P2 = 30 psi * 549.67R / 489.67R
P2 = 30 psi * 1.1225315008066659
P2 = 33.675945024199976 psi

Now, air is not a truly "ideal" gas and there is water vapor also likely to be in there, so the true value will be slightly different, but it should be pretty close.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Screw it- I’ll just be the one to say it: in this case- is it?

Though I am sure you’re a good guy, but being pretentious about laws of thermal dynamics in relation to headliners on a Jeep isn’t something I subscribe to. Further, basic Marketing 101 would state that you would advertise to your audience. The audience wouldn’t want a 3 page statement of math to show that you save a few degrees on your noggin and it’s quieter.

Yes, science is important. Yes, education is important. I have 2 degrees and even teach classes in my spare time. But I also find it overly irritating when someone attacks others for the assumption of being dumb (sleeping through class) over a simple notation about a product’s benefits. Not everyone needs to know about the laws of thermal dynamics or energy transference in their daily life. Sometimes the results are just fine.
If you are saying that you are getting a certain percentage decrease in the temperature, that implies *math*. If you math is not correct, then you are either mistaken or you are intentionally lying. Percentages should not have been used in this case. They should have just said that there was a certain number of degrees different after a certain period of time. I'm not claiming that they are lying, just that they are mistaken in their use of math.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lets keep it simple they lower the inside temperature very well and they help the Alpine stereo system sound much better.
It would be nice to know how the R-values of the panels for it compared to the base hard top and the factory panel liners.

But, we're talking about basically a black box with glass panels on it. We're not going to get miracles here. :(

Sponsored

Mom2SNSH

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Can they be installed over the MOPAR ones that I ordered with my JLUR as an additional layer of sound protection? Does anyone know? Is it just one or the other? Thanks.
I’d like to know as well!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I don't think so--99% of the overhead liners are held in place by "VELCRO" strips and it wouldn't be practical to have piggyback sets on your hardtop--

Most of the "VELCRO" becomes inactive after a year or more too, depends on the temp ranges and "JARRING" uses of the jeep-

I may be wrong, I've never used more than one type overhead insulation on my hardtop--

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The Hothead Headliners use 3M tape. You have to gently sand down the exposed roof surface and then wipe down with acetone. I guess you could apply HH to the OEM headliners...but it would be complicated. Is the OEM headliner hook/loop material (that is...will a Velcro strip stick to the OEM material?) You would have to apply industrial strength self-adhesive Velcro strips to the HH panels, and then 3) Stick the HH panels to the OEM panels.
A couple of problems come to mind...the doubled layers would give a 'stacked' appearance to the headliners and I don't think that the OEM panels are designed to carry the additional weight of the much thicker Hothead Headliners. So in conclusion...I don't think so...but you could try it.

Update: After a month...the HHs on the roof are staying put nicely. However, the side window Headliners are not holding as well. The instructions state that you don't have to sand down the sides, just wipe with acetone. The Velcro did not adhere very well...so I pulled the side pieces off carefully. I then sanded the areas and re-wiped down with acetone. then I used new Industrial strength, self-adhesive Velcro.

Daytime temps have been in the mid-90s. The JL hardtop is already well insulated...I couldn't feel any significant warming
on the ribs between the headliners. The headliners do insulate more for sound than heat...it appears.

Last edited:

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Anybody with a factory mopar kit, that upgraded to hot heads looking to sell the mopar one?

ashg2000

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Took advantage of 10% discount and ordered the hothead headliners this Tuesday. They got shipped out same day and to be delivered by Saturday. Super fast shipping and prompt communication by the vendor. Waiting to have them installed. Will post pictures next week.
Sponsored