Spinner Knobs?

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Does anyone use a spinner knob on the steering wheel, and if so, which one? Maybe this is not a thing 🤷🏼‍♀️ but my daughter has one on her car and I love it when I drive her car. She has to have it because she uses hand controls due to a physical ability so she can’t use both hands to make a wide turn of the steering wheel.
Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
Pretty sure you can get one from a place like harbor freight for not much $$.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

OP
OP
AndiS

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
There are many states where they're outright illegal. Others put restrictions on them. You might want to check the laws of your state and those that you drive through. I would think / hope that there are exceptions for people with disabilities.

Hopefully this is relatively accurate: https://vehiclefreak.com/are-steering-wheel-knobs-legal-list-of-states-where-they-are-illegal/
I don’t think it is accurate. Most states don’t address it at all (on private personal vehicles, anyway) from what I have found. I’m not sure it could be justified as illegal when for some people it’s actually required (as in my daughter’s case).

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Odd how they are pretty much standard equipment on boats, yet no one has them on cars.

Sponsored

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086P986ZV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_wtuOCL2EI9aBE

I like it, it makes sharp turns much easier. One thing I didn’t like is the I had to clamp down on my leather wrapped steering wheel. I took it off to relocate once and there was an impression that stayed for a few days. I plan on keeping this jeep after it’s paid off, and will keep this on, so I let it slide.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I don’t think it is accurate. Most states don’t address it at all (on private personal vehicles, anyway) from what I have found. I’m not sure it could be justified as illegal when for some people it’s actually required (as in my daughter’s case).
Here's a different article that says that they're not illegal in any state: https://suicideknob.net/state-laws/. This one actually links to the laws.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
You don't tend to faceplant on a boat when your vehicle meets resistance.
Actually, you do. In fact, you tend to go face/chest first into the steering wheel when you hit an unexpected wave, sandbar, log, etc.

OTOH, in a car with seatbelts and airbags, I can't imagine how you would even hit the steering wheel if you tried.

OP
OP
AndiS

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Odd how they are pretty much standard equipment on boats, yet no one has them on cars.
My stepmom told me when my daughter started driving and had one on hers that her brother and all of his friends had them on their cars when they were young. I think they fell by the wayside when power steering became ubiquitous. I didn’t even know it was a thing (other than on boats) until my daughter needed it to drive. She was 15 so she would drive to school with me in the car and then I’d switch with her. I LOVED using it. I drove her car for a day while mine was getting detailed while she was home for spring break and it reminded me how much I liked it. My hubby is having (right) shoulder surgery next week and I started thinking maybe I’d get him one for driving while he’s in a sling and then use it myself when he didn’t need it anymore.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
My stepmom told me when my daughter started driving and had one on hers that her brother and all of his friends had them on their cars when they were young. I think they fell by the wayside when power steering became ubiquitous. I didn’t even know it was a thing (other than on boats) until my daughter needed it to drive. She was 15 so she would drive to school with me in the car and then I’d switch with her. I LOVED using it. I drove her car for a day while mine was getting detailed while she was home for spring break and it reminded me how much I liked it. My hubby is having (right) shoulder surgery next week and I started thinking maybe I’d get him one for driving while he’s in a sling and then use it myself when he didn’t need it anymore.
I also remember stories that both my parents had them. My dad had one on his 1969 GTO and my mom on her 1970 AMC Javelin. Never driven a car with one, but given how I NEVER use anything else on my boat (I never grab the wheel itself, only the knob) I would imagine I'd use it a lot on a car.

Kidvette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I think they originated on semi-trucks and then cars of the 1950's. Probably because of the large diameter steering wheels and lack of power steering. They are helpful on boats but not sure if they will help much on a new jeep. You can probably get one at a truckstop on most major interstates. Let us know if it works for you.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

They are popular on tractors as well. I use one. They can cause injury in higher speed crashes. Not just impalement (air bag should protect) but when you hit something that forces your steering wheel to spin a bit violently. Race car drivers are taught to take your hands off the wheel or at least palms only, during impact so you don’t break your thumbs.