Gorilla Glass update

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Meh - I have old glass. I counted one day, but forget. Something like 8 cracks, with 2 of them longer than 24 inches.

No inspection sticker, either. Not gonna replace the glass until I get a ticket (they are fix-it tickets, when if you get a sticker the ticket goes away) or sell the Jeep.
Sponsored

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
I couldnt do it. It would drive me nuts.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

Just got mine replaced at 11,000 miles, cracked at 7500, a gravel train go figure. Finally cracked all the way across.

If you get yours replaced look at the upper corners as the guy replacing mine scratched my paint, now have to visit my local body shop.

I only paid 195 for the option not doubt I would pay the 495 it was listed on my window sticker.

Regards,
Jim

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Luckily in FL it’s $0 to replace.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I couldnt do it. It would drive me nuts.
It's interesting. I used to be SUPER bothered by cracked windshields, dirty windshields, bugs, etc. Anything would we cause for replacement, pulling over the clean it, etc.

Then I started racing cars. Following another car, you get rock chips galore in a stock windshield. And, because there are no windows, it gets dirty both inside AND out. If it's cold, no defrost, just wait. I thought it was gonna drive me nuts. I would sit there in the grid just staring at all the nicks, cracks, dirt, etc.

But I realized that as soon as I started driving, I completely forgot about all that. And, that's carried over to now. I notice that they are there, but only when sitting. And even then, it's more of a "hmmm, that new one looks kinda like the crab nebula" than "OMG, I need a new windshield!"

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Luckily in FL it’s $0 to replace.
How often can you replace them? Assuming insurance pays? Anything in a policy or law about them raising your rates if you get, say, 6 windshields a year?

Also . . . is that restricted to FL residents only? I'll be there in Feb...

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have gotten better about the bugs and such since getting the Jeep. It used to always be clean. Now only when it looks like a million bugs have hit it do I clean it. Granted, thats about 3 times a week since I have to commute to work and back every day and the Jeep is a bug magnet. The crack though....I cant live with. Makes me feel like my Jeep looks like crap and and I dont take care of it etc. The worst part about it getting broken is just the fact I have to pay to re-tint it lol.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How often can you replace them? Assuming insurance pays? Anything in a policy or law about them raising your rates if you get, say, 6 windshields a year?

Also . . . is that restricted to FL residents only? I'll be there in Feb...
FL law for FL ins companies. I dont think it covers outside of FL insurance companies. As for # of replacements, I cannot find anything stating how many. Hope its not just one a year as these windshields are the most expensive I have ever seen. Had one replaced on a Tahoe, Camaro and a Silverado that I paid for due to pitting and they were under $500. These are over $1k. Its nuts for half the size and much easier to replace than the others.
Sponsored