How to tighten steering.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was one that complained about my steering when I first got the Jeep. After playing with tire pressure and mainly after 2000 miles I feel it drives as good as any other car.
I wish there was someone in the same city as me that is having issues so we could drive each other and compare.
I have 1100 miles on. The only thing that's changed so far is that the return to center after turning has gotten better. First few hundred miles I had to help it more to get back.
Sponsored

STOMPEEZ

First Name
Renegade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
^^^^ That is what I'm afraid of, but I'm going to try anyway (appt tomorrow). At a minimum, I'm going to force them to check the alignment and give me a printout of the toe and caster numbers. If those are in spec, then I guess I'll follow #2 and suck it up until hopefully #1 or #2 happens. So many on this forum say it's a jeep thing but I swear to you my JKUR I drove for 4 years wasn't nearly as bad as my JLUR is now...for whatever the reason is. (my tire pressure is at 33-34 cold and gets up to about 36 hot)
I just lowered the pressure on my Rubicon JLU 33" tires from 42 PSI down to 34 PSI cold because I know they will heat-up to 36+ on 80+ degree days. Question for everyone. My Tire pressure gauge says 34 but the information cluster says 32 PSI. Is anyone else experiencing this discrepancy?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Good idea! Anyone in Atlanta area who says their steering is tight in the Atlanta area? And would you humor me for a meet up to compare? I'll buy you a beer for your trouble!
Anyone in Peoria or central Illinois? I’m up for a beer. Who cares about the steering issue. Woops, no first we compare steering then the beer.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I just lowered the pressure on my Rubicon JLU 33" tires from 42 PSI down to 34 PSI cold because I know they will heat-up to 36+ on 80+ degree days. Question for everyone. My Tire pressure gauge says 34 but the information cluster says 32 PSI. Is anyone else experiencing this discrepancy?
Yes, I am, I go with my gauge. I don’t think the TPMS is as accurate.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Anyone in Peoria or central Illinois? I’m up for a beer. Who cares about the steering issue. Woops, no first we compare steering then the beer.
Northwest suburbs here, Elgin to be exact. Not really too worried about the steering but curious none the less. It drifts here or there but not necessarily consistent. I attribute it to the wind or roadway most of the time. That and the fact is has monster 33" tires, a solid front axle, and various other components that do not make it a performance car. But I'm new to this realm and am interested in other opinions.

Sponsored

TJ&JL

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL, 2005 Jeep TJ
^^^^ That is what I'm afraid of, but I'm going to try anyway (appt tomorrow). At a minimum, I'm going to force them to check the alignment and give me a printout of the toe and caster numbers. If those are in spec, then I guess I'll follow #2 and suck it up until hopefully #1 or #2 happens. So many on this forum say it's a jeep thing but I swear to you my JKUR I drove for 4 years wasn't nearly as bad as my JLUR is now...for whatever the reason is. (my tire pressure is at 33-34 cold and gets up to about 36 hot)
My TJ had the same problem until I adjusted the steering box. I haven't messed with the JL yet, has the same type adjustment screw on top of it. The whole reason for buying a new vehicle is so you don't have to work on it. Just sucks the dealership didn't want to spend 15 minutes and try to adjust it. The dealership also told me that they didn't see any info on other JL's with the same problem on there system. I guess they don't read the forums.

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the same thing, this was never an issue on any of my 3 JKs, but my JL is literally all over the place on the highway.
A Jeep Wrangler is suppose to have some play in the steering. It’s meant for going off road and that little play plays a big role in why the wrangler is so good off road. I just accept that the steering is not tight, it’s not supposed to be. This is common knowledge. I can’t believe what I read about how people want to tighten the steering. It makes me laugh, I’ve owned 5 Jeeps. 1 CJ 7 and every type of wrangler made. They all drive with play in the steering wheel. It’s engineered that way for taking the Jeep off the pavement. It is a little pain in the butt, but you get used to it. I actually got pulled over on a windy day for weaving out of my lane. I told the cop that there is nothing I can do. All Jeeps have play in the steering. He obviously never owned one because his reply was “nice try”. I only was told to keep it straight and go slow in the right lane. On windy days a Jeep is like driving a sailboat.

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
Good idea! Anyone in Atlanta area who says their steering is tight in the Atlanta area? And would you humor me for a meet up to compare? I'll buy you a beer for your trouble!
Mine hasn't come in yet or I would. Ordered May 1st and still waiting

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Agree that tire pressures are set too high at factory and or the dealer. Mine had 43 cold.

37 cold and 700 miles later I don't notice it as much. However My JLUR seems to need more steering correction than my JK sport s 2 door. Not apples to apples though.

I will say the lack of body roll is exceptional in the JLUR. Really surprised it does not lean nearly as much as my JK.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So, I took it in and had an appt. When I discussed the issue with the service advisor, he said they'd need to have the certified mechanics take a look at it because it was a steering issue and that it would be at least a couple hours before they could even look at it and said they could need it all day. (&#%@#+ . I guess I'll have to make another appt and get a ride home. To be continued...

Sponsored

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
A Jeep Wrangler is suppose to have some play in the steering. It’s meant for going off road and that little play plays a big role in why the wrangler is so good off road. I just accept that the steering is not tight, it’s not supposed to be. This is common knowledge. I can’t believe what I read about how people want to tighten the steering. It makes me laugh, I’ve owned 5 Jeeps. 1 CJ 7 and every type of wrangler made. They all drive with play in the steering wheel. It’s engineered that way for taking the Jeep off the pavement. It is a little pain in the butt, but you get used to it. I actually got pulled over on a windy day for weaving out of my lane. I told the cop that there is nothing I can do. All Jeeps have play in the steering. He obviously never owned one because his reply was “nice try”. I only was told to keep it straight and go slow in the right lane. On windy days a Jeep is like driving a sailboat.
A Jeep Wrangler is suppose to have some play in the steering. It’s meant for going off road and that little play plays a big role in why the wrangler is so good off road. I just accept that the steering is not tight, it’s not supposed to be. This is common knowledge. I can’t believe what I read about how people want to tighten the steering. It makes me laugh, I’ve owned 5 Jeeps. 1 CJ 7 and every type of wrangler made. They all drive with play in the steering wheel. It’s engineered that way for taking the Jeep off the pavement. It is a little pain in the butt, but you get used to it. I actually got pulled over on a windy day for weaving out of my lane. I told the cop that there is nothing I can do. All Jeeps have play in the steering. He obviously never owned one because his reply was “nice try”. I only was told to keep it straight and go slow in the right lane. On windy days a Jeep is like driving a sailboat.[/Q.

Thanks Biscuit for liking this, are these people complaining about the sway all wranglers have or does their Jeeps have much more play in the steering. I just wonder if they know that all Jeeps from the Willies to the JL are designed to have play in the steering.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Me personally, I understand they have some play, but it seems to be more than I remember that I had on my '14 JKUR. At first, I was thinking the jeep was wandering on me, but I've realized it was just me over-correcting because of the play in the steering. I drove that JKUR for 4 years and 70k miles and I don't remember this much play. However, I'm starting to wonder if it's just my perception/memory problems because I was driving a '17 Honda Ridgeline for 8 months in between my JKUR and my JLUR. I didn't go directly from the jk to the jl. That Honda drove like a dream on the highway. But then, I read the reviews of the jl on tflcar, who says the steering is improved and I wonder what the heck the difference is because mine certainly doesn't seem that way. This really does remind me more of the two CJ-7s I had in the early 90s than it does my jk. I am 99.9999% certain taking it to the dealer to have it checked out will be a waste of time. I don't know what to think right now. I only have a few gripes about my jl... The auto park, no auto up for the windows (and no auto down for rear passenger windows) the door limiting strap always rubbing my leg and the sloppy steering. I can live with the first 3, but the steering is really bugging me! I guess I'll have to get used to it though because I still freaking love the thing! Starting to wish I never read these steering threads as maybe it's also a psychological issue... Putting crap in my head! Eureka! That's it! I know how to fix my jeep steering! I'll book an appt with a shrink! Maybe hypnosis!

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Me personally, I understand they have some play, but it seems to be more than I remember that I had on my '14 JKUR. At first, I was thinking the jeep was wandering on me, but I've realized it was just me over-correcting because of the play in the steering. I drove that JKUR for 4 years and 70k miles and I don't remember this much play. However, I'm starting to wonder if it's just my perception/memory problems because I was driving a '17 Honda Ridgeline for 8 months in between my JKUR and my JLUR. I didn't go directly from the jk to the jl. That Honda drove like a dream on the highway. But then, I read the reviews of the jl on tflcar, who says the steering is improved and I wonder what the heck the difference is because mine certainly doesn't seem that way. This really does remind me more of the two CJ-7s I had in the early 90s than it does my jk. I am 99.9999% certain taking it to the dealer to have it checked out will be a waste of time. I don't know what to think right now. I only have a few gripes about my jl... The auto park, no auto up for the windows (and no auto down for rear passenger windows) the door limiting strap always rubbing my leg and the sloppy steering. I can live with the first 3, but the steering is really bugging me! I guess I'll have to get used to it though because I still freaking love the thing! Starting to wish I never read these steering threads as maybe it's also a psychological issue... Putting crap in my head! Eureka! That's it! I know how to fix my jeep steering! I'll book an appt with a shrink! Maybe hypnosis!
I think you're right about the steering being a psychological issue. I've noticed it slightly with my JLUR which still has under 300mi. The first few drives to work in it, I felt like I was spending most of my energy correcting it occasionally swaying. I attributed some of the swaying to either windy days or beat up roads (in Illinois). Yesterday, while driving in, I didn't notice it at all while driving and talking on the phone. Keeping my mind into a conversation and not on how or where to drive the steering wheel actually worked. So if that makes any sense to anyone...take it for what it's worth. I think there is the inherent dead spot "play" that's at about the neutral position and the problem stems from over correcting. That's my two cents though. Having driving fire engines on a routine basis, this steering isn't even close to how bad "swaying" or "wandering" really truly is. And even in the case of such, one absolutely becomes accustomed to it despite no actual mechanical problem existing.

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
I am running 37 KO2’s and beadlocks, when first installed tire pressure hot was 42 front 44 rear.... all over the road at 60 and above... this is my 4th Jeep. I am now at 32 front and 34 rear... I just did the Columbia River Gorge at 70mph and newly paved which is the route I took home after purchase and it wasn’t newly paved.. anyway, way better handling. Road manners aren’t as important to me as off-road but I still want it to track straight. My current pressures are chalk tested for wear and look good...
"...chalk tested for wear." Never heard of this before. Sounds interesting, can you give details?

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
I was one that complained about my steering when I first got the Jeep. After playing with tire pressure and mainly after 2000 miles I feel it drives as good as any other car.
I wish there was someone in the same city as me that is having issues so we could drive each other and compare.
I agree. Dropped my tire pressure from 45 when purchased to 35. Feels more like my 2004 TJ Rubicon. I'm in Morris, Il, just a little north of you.
Sponsored