Sponsored

Reliability... a concern?

Are you concerned with possible reliability issues?

• Total voters

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
We all know FCA products are known for their malfunctioning electronics, in both new and old products. Look at the Alfa Guilia, Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, etc.

Is this a concern with the JL? My Grand Cherokee’s stop/start system wasn’t working for about a month and navigation system glitches every few weeks. Battery gave out a year after ownership, too.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
We all know FCA products are known for their malfunctioning electronics, in both new and old products. Look at the Alfa Guilia, Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, etc.

Is this a concern with the JL? My Grand Cherokee’s stop/start system wasn’t working for about a month and navigation system glitches every few weeks. Battery gave out a year after ownership, too.
I hope my ESS start/stop system fails completely, permanently.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Concerned enough that I'm waiting for a 2019 model but not concerned enough to look elsewhere for a vehicle. That's what warranties are for. Granted there is a PITA factor with having to take it to the shop. Most of the JL changes don't appear to be new-new, just new to the Wrangler so I don't expect any major issues. {there's no emoji for crossed fingers}

Pete

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
If it sucks, they'll either buy it back or I'll trade it in. Not going to waste time on it, so not really concerned.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Concerned enough that I'm waiting for a 2019 model but not concerned enough to look elsewhere for a vehicle. That's what warranties are for. Granted there is a PITA factor with having to take it to the shop. Most of the JL changes don't appear to be new-new, just new to the Wrangler so I don't expect any major issues. {there's no emoji for crossed fingers}

Pete
There is one for prayer, though! :please:

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
If it sucks, they'll either buy it back or I'll trade it in. Not going to waste time on it, so not really concerned.
I’m in same position. If there’s a ton of problems I’ll just trade it for a 2019 or sell it back and get something different. I don’t think the changes are as drastic as TJ to JK and I’m getting the penstar so there’s likely to not be many issues,

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you look at the first year of the JK, first year of the JK drivetrain refresh (2012), introduction of the Cherokee, introduction of the Grand Cherokee, etc... you'd know that Jeeps almost always have problems right out of the gate.

Waiting to model year #3 is a great idea.

Work

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Willys Wheeler Granite Crystal
I'll definitely be waiting for year two or three but I'd wanna do that for pretty much any manufacturer.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you look at the first year of the JK, first year of the JK drivetrain refresh (2012), introduction of the Cherokee, introduction of the Grand Cherokee, etc... you'd know that Jeeps almost always have problems right out of the gate.

Waiting to model year #3 is a great idea.
And many don't. LOTS of 07's on the road. None of the folks I know had major problems with them, and the smaller issues they had were fixed. My dealer has an excellent service department, too, so I've factored that in.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
And many don't. LOTS of 07's on the road. None of the folks I know had major problems with them, and the smaller issues they had were fixed. My dealer has an excellent service department, too, so I've factored that in.
With money and time invested, you can keep anything on the road. The issues with the 07-08 JKs were well documented. Leaking tops, piston rings installed improperly, D35 rear axles grenading, etc. Jeep revised all those things by model year #3. In 12-13 you had Pentastar engine heads failing and casting sand sludge clogging heater cores. Grand Cherokee had recalls for roll-away vehicles. Cherokee had so many issues with the transmissions when they debuted that FCA held delivery until they could test all units produced. When FCA releases a new vehicle, it's not small items that you have to worry about. It's significant stuff.

There'll be a lot of 18-19 JLs on the road that people are happy with. No doubt. But the 20-22 models will be more trouble free. That's also no doubt.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I've got an early year 2 JK with 140k and lots of off roading on it and nothing has leaked or grenaded. You can come drive it around, if you'd like to see for yourself. I ain't losing any sleep.
Sponsored