Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My 2.0T, when going through warmup idle, sometimes seems a little rough, but smooths out at end of warmup. If I drive it before the process completes, the roughness is also immediately gone.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
My 2018 2.0T does the same, since driveability is good, I figured it's computer controlled warm-up, factoring a million bits of information, and missing a few. The " imperfect machine" known as "Jeep".
Afterthought ; is this a result of "seasonal " fuel ? Winter vs Summer fuel formulas ?
Can't say I noticed it in warm weather, but that's hardly scientific observation.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get any roughness, as far as any quivering or vibrating, but it does idle high for a couple minutes. There's some mechanical noises that come with direct injection and it sounds like it's got a cam chain, not a quiet but weaker belt.

Also, I've both read and been told by transmission rebuilders over the years to always let the idle settle before shifting into gear. Over time, that small bad habit can shorten the potential lifespan of certain hard parts, due to the slide hammer affect of high idle shifting.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I don't get any roughness, as far as any quivering or vibrating, but it does idle high for a couple minutes. There's some mechanical noises that come with direct injection and it sounds like it's got a cam chain, not a quiet but weaker belt.

Also, I've both read and been told by transmission rebuilders over the years to always let the idle settle before shifting into gear. Over time, that small bad habit can shorten the potential lifespan of certain hard parts, due to the slide hammer affect of high idle shifting.
Most, if not all, modern vehicles are ECU controlled. The ECU will cut the throttle before shifting out of park. You may not feel it or perceive it, but it happens.

So while this may be true many years ago, shifting out of park at "high idle" will do no harm today.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Most, if not all, modern vehicles are ECU controlled. The ECU will cut the throttle before shifting out of park. You may not feel it or perceive it, but it happens.

So while this may be true many years ago, shifting out of park at "high idle" will do no harm today.
This. In fact they've found that letting a motor idle for long periods of time with no load is actually detrimental to the motor.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah, it was something said to me years ago. Wasn't trying to come across like I was stating law, just making conversation. In a past life, I've been inside countless manual trannies out of the larger end of trucks and heavy equipment, but never got involved in the autos too much. Mostly farmed those out to a guy that specialized in the smaller end of the spectrum. He used to equate high idle auto shifting to how consistent sloppy shifting a manual would lower the lifespan of certain internal components.
This. In fact they've found that letting a motor idle for long periods of time with no load is actually detrimental to the motor.
Growing up in the diesel mechanics industry and my first several personal vehicles being diesel, wet stacking has kept me from forming the habit of not allowing for too much unloaded idling. 2, maybe 3 minutes for oil to make it to the furthest reaches and a bit of water jacket temp is all the jeep seems to need for rpms to drop below 1k.
Sponsored