Greasing the Seldom Seen Flat Zerk

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I assume there are folks out there that have lifted their 392 to 3 1/2" and installed an aftermarket front drive shaft and maybe have a full set of skids also. My question is, how in the heck are you getting grease into the flat zerk at the transfer case? Adams says they should greased every 3k miles. For starters, since the 392 has full time 4WD, the transfer case has to be put in neutral and the front tires have to be off the ground to rotate the driveshaft to get the zerk in the right position. To add to the frustration, the skid plate(s) and crossmember make it almost impossible to see the zerk let alone get the needle in there to grease it....what a PITA!
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
A needle grease fitting

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I take it back i missed the needle part šŸ˜‚

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Don't be worried about drilling a access hole in the skid plate if needed.
I'm thinking about doing that, if needed....I just need to take a closer look at the whole situation (no pun intended)....I think the cross member may more of a problem...that's why I'm asking other folks for their experience...

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I'm thinking about doing that, if needed....I just need to take a closer look at the whole situation (no pun intended)....I think the cross member may more of a problem...that's why I'm asking other folks for their experience...
Well I've taken a closer look at the flat zerk on the CV joint for the Adams 1350 front driveshaft. It looks like it can be serviced without removing or modifying the Metal Cloak skid plates. I marked the flat zerk before installing it a couple of weeks ago. The zerk is on the forward part of the CV joint, away from the transfer case, so it is visible and therefore serviceable with an extension and needle grease fitting. I'm wondering if the cross-member position at the transfer case is unique for the 392. The flat zerk is between the two arrows in the picture.

Flat Zerk.jpg

Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I'm going to sing up for a yoga stretching class before I attempt this

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
I have the same issue with my 2018 JLUR with the Adams driveshaft and a 2.5" lift. It is seems impossible to access the flat zerk. I am overdue for greasing it and not sure whether I have to remove the driveshaft. I certainly would like to hear how others have accomplished this greasing.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I have the same issue with my 2018 JLUR with the Adams driveshaft and a 2.5" lift. It is seems impossible to access the flat zerk. I am overdue for greasing it and not sure whether I have to remove the driveshaft. I certainly would like to hear how others have accomplished this greasing.
Seeing the flat zerk is half the battle. If you put the transfer case in neutral and jack up (front) one side of the Jeep to get 1 tire off the ground you can rotate the driveshaft to position the zerk to access it with a needle grease gun fitting. The zerk is in the front part of the CV joint (away from the transfer case). If you can't see it, you may have to remove the shaft, identify the zerk and mark it for future reference. It sounds like all JL's, including the 392, have the cross-member in the same place.

Flat Zerk.jpg

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Seeing the flat zerk is half the battle. If you put the transfer case in neutral and jack up (front) one side of the Jeep to get 1 tire off the ground you can rotate the driveshaft to position the zerk to access it with a needle grease gun fitting. The zerk is in the front part of the CV joint (away from the transfer case). If you can't see it, you may have to remove the shaft, identify the zerk and mark it for future reference. It sounds like all JL's, including the 392, have the cross-member in the same place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Greasing the Seldom Seen Flat Zerk Flat Zerk
Thanks. I will give it a try. Cheers

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Had to remove my Next Venture Motorsports transfer case skid plate. Then the only way I was able to get to the flat grease zerk was to disconnect the driveshaft at the front differential and lift it up as high as possible and tie it to the motor mount. This allows enough space between the u-joints to get to the flat grease zerk fitting. I sure wish Teraflex made a Rzeppa driveshaft for the JL.
Jeep Wrangler JL Greasing the Seldom Seen Flat Zerk 1638717555327

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
FWIWā€¦I know youā€™re ā€œsupposedā€ to grease this joint every 3-5K miles but on my old lifted 06ā€™ Power Wagon I never greased the factory CV joint (same design as Adams) and had no failures over 120K miles. Iā€™m going with the Adams driveshaft on my 392 and while I definitely donā€™t look forward to greasing it Iā€™ll do my best to do it every 5Kā€¦even if itā€™s a massive PITA.

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
So is this grease fitting you guys are speaking of for an aftermarket driveshaft or is there a lube point on the OEM yoke? Iā€™m brand new to Jeeps so Iā€™m trying to get dialed in on the general maintenance. Thanks

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
So is this grease fitting you guys are speaking of for an aftermarket driveshaft or is there a lube point on the OEM yoke? Iā€™m brand new to Jeeps so Iā€™m trying to get dialed in on the general maintenance. Thanks
Only on aftermarket driveshafts...no lube points on the OEM shaft...

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I assume there are folks out there that have lifted their 392 to 3 1/2" and installed an aftermarket front drive shaft and maybe have a full set of skids also. My question is, how in the heck are you getting grease into the flat zerk at the transfer case? Adams says they should greased every 3k miles. For starters, since the 392 has full time 4WD, the transfer case has to be put in neutral and the front tires have to be off the ground to rotate the driveshaft to get the zerk in the right position. To add to the frustration, the skid plate(s) and crossmember make it almost impossible to see the zerk let alone get the needle in there to grease it....what a PITA!
>Adams says they should greased every 3k miles.
Where do they say that?

My guess is they are recommending way more than necessary.

How often should I grease my shaft and what type of grease should I use?

FWIWā€¦I know youā€™re ā€œsupposedā€ to grease this joint every 3-5K miles but on my old lifted 06ā€™ Power Wagon I never greased the factory CV joint (same design as Adams) and had no failures over 120K miles. Iā€™m going with the Adams driveshaft on my 392 and while I definitely donā€™t look forward to greasing it Iā€™ll do my best to do it every 5Kā€¦even if itā€™s a massive PITA.
If you're not going through water/mud, my guess is every 15K miles is more than enough.
Sponsored