thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/torque-reserve.83704/

This thread has a screenshot of the procedure, that came in the 392 supplement
Yea but the point is there's no detailed description on how to use the system.

No one can seem to answer if you need to be in off road plus. If pitch and roll in off road pages need to show 0 or if that matters. How much brake is needed. How much gas is needed. What to listen for to know it's engaged and ready to launch.

Everybody seems to have their own theories lol

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Re-read the screen shot of the manual. They describe exactly how to use the system. They do not provide specific RPM's, but it still seems pretty simple to me having launched other vehicles like this.
You basically want to hold down the brake hard enough to keep the vehicle from moving forward as you push down the accelerator. You are not trying to overpower the brakes. if that is happening less gas and more brake or more brake and the same amount of gas. Play with it a bit and get a feel for what works.

The manual says nothing about offroad +, so that is not part of torque reserve. Will it yield better times? Perhaps...sure feels like it would.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Re-read the screen shot of the manual. They describe exactly how to use the system. They do not provide specific RPM's, but it still seems pretty simple to me having launched other vehicles like this.
You basically want to hold down the brake hard enough to keep the vehicle from moving forward as you push down the accelerator. You are not trying to overpower the brakes. if that is happening less gas and more brake or more brake and the same amount of gas. Play with it a bit and get a feel for what works.

The manual says nothing about offroad +, so that is not part of torque reserve. Will it yield better times? Perhaps...sure feels like it would.
So you've used it a decent amount ? How does it feel compared to just punching it off the line?

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
No I really have not. But I am familiar with boosted launches from the diesel pickup performance scene. I have done it in a few of my built trucks before. Same concept here on the 392.

I did try it one time on my last 392, and it wasn't for me. It feels hard on the Jeep. It felt hard on my pickups doing it. The Jeep is plenty fast as is. If I was on a drag strip trying to wring out every last drop of performance then maybe I would use it. Now using offroad +, that button is fun!

I intend to borrow a buddies draggy once my new 392 is broken in and see what times I can achieve.

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Thats a generic brake torque launch guys have been using for 60 years.

The question is not how to launch an automatic, it’s how to activate the launch control specific to the wrangler 392.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

The question is not how to launch an automatic, it’s how to activate the launch control specific to the wrangler 392.
Exactly this is the point. I can get in any truck and step on the brake and hit the gas get the rpms up and let go of the brake. You can do that in anything and since the 392 is so fast it's possible that's all some guys are doing and THINKING that's the torque reserve launch control when it's not.

My point was how do you know you actually engaged torque reserve and the only answer I've heard is there's a distinctive exhaust note change which i have not heard when I tried it. Seems dumb that jeep didnt simply put some kind of alert on the dash saying torque reserve engaged. Again when I tried it, it wasn't a completely even surface so maybe that's why it didn't work.

Also for the poster that asked I'm in New Jersey. Sea level.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392

Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m just pointing out that’s how Jeep says to use torque reserve. It sounds like the sound alone should alert you to it functioning.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Exactly this is the point. I can get in any truck and step on the brake and hit the gas get the rpms up and let go of the brake. You can do that in anything and since the 392 is so fast it's possible that's all some guys are doing and THINKING that's the torque reserve launch control when it's not.

My point was how do you know you actually engaged torque reserve and the only answer I've heard is there's a distinctive exhaust note change which i have not heard when I tried it. Seems dumb that jeep didnt simply put some kind of alert on the dash saying torque reserve engaged. Again when I tried it, it wasn't a completely even surface so maybe that's why it didn't work.

Also for the poster that asked I'm in New Jersey. Sea level.
I’m in cherry hill area, I’ll figure it out for you if you’re close

Jeep Wrangler JL Hmm 0-60 worlds away from jeeps claimed 4 flat for the XR 9114DB6E-2B4F-4B73-B47D-1BB715444C14

Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I’ll have to go check this out. On a few Porsches you would apply full pressure on the brake and then stomp the gas. It would automatically hold the revs at either 3500 for a soft launch or 6500-7000 for a hard launch (depending on the car). Then you take your foot of the brake quickly and it would go like a bat out of hell.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I’ll have to go check this out. On a few Porsches you would apply full pressure on the brake and then stomp the gas. It would automatically hold the revs at either 3500 for a soft launch or 6500-7000 for a hard launch (depending on the car). Then you take your foot of the brake quickly and it would go like a bat out of hell.
That's how my gtr worked as well. But seems that is not how this system works. Someone figuring it out and making a little step by step guide would be so cool. I may try this weekend if I have time.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

So quick update. Went driving around and tried it a few times. Hard brake /partial throttle. Full throttle tried a bunch of different things. Nothing engaged to my knowledge.

I definitely didn't hear any change in exhaust note or engine tone. Sounded exactly as you would think this Jeep would sound if you're applying brake and gas at the same time.

I think torque reserve is bullshit lol unless anyone can show me proof of it working its a wives tale at this point to me.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
That's how my gtr worked as well. But seems that is not how this system works. Someone figuring it out and making a little step by step guide would be so cool. I may try this weekend if I have time.
Wow I need to experience awd DCT launch control. 6000+ rpm, wow, i knew it was fast, but I didn’t know it was like that

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Wow I need to experience awd DCT launch control. 6000+ rpm, wow, i knew it was fast, but I didn’t know it was like that
Yea I don't know about that high of an rpm for launching. I know some built high hp cars have and can do them but usually they break stuff and expect to break stuff and have a ton of money to replace shit constantly. My gtr has 1000hp but some cars I knew had much more. A fully built trans in a gtr could cost up to as much as 30-40k. Was insane. My daughter loved that car though lol
Jeep Wrangler JL Hmm 0-60 worlds away from jeeps claimed 4 flat for the XR 20200425_134322
Sponsored