2018 Jeep Wrangler Fire

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Oh man I hope this all gets resolved for you.
Electrical stuff scares the crap out of me. I’m about to add a winch, compressor and run dometic wire kit to back for the fridge. Everything with fused out of the battery and I’ve got the power interrupt kit for the winch. But I guess you can’t put fuse n winch power given amperage.
Saw a Badlands winch install where several fuses were run in parallel. Didn't look at the amperage or sizes, but the guy said it was part of the install kit. I would think this would be better than a disconnect which might be forgotten. Haven't made it down to Harbor Freight to check it out yet, but definitely on my list of mods.
Sponsored

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Im jealous. Wish my jeep would burn up!
Jeep prices are pretty high right now if you really wanted to get out of it.

Very curious to see if anything comes out of it although I agree that it'll probably be deemed an electrical fire and written off through insurance.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Maybe Jeep shouldn't be looking too hard. They will see the aftermarket winch..and well, you know Jeep.
either way his auto insurance will cover it. only way they wouldnt is if they could prove that it was intentional arson by the policyholder.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
That's terrible pard - hope you get everything taken care of and will be back in the saddle with a new Jeep soon.

Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Jeep prices are pretty high right now if you really wanted to get out of it.

Very curious to see if anything comes out of it although I agree that it'll probably be deemed an electrical fire and written off through insurance.
Unfortunately f350 prices are even higher right now. A non dually king ranch is 103k last time i checked, and thats only if you can find one. Then add the cost of a 10 inch lift and 40s and next thing u know your truck is worth 135k…. Ill stick to my jeep 😁

but definitely do let us know what happens witj insurance. Id imagine they just pay you out for your loan or for what its worth, depending on if its paid off or not.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
why the hell are you parking that jeep in front of your house like that where everyone of ill intent can see it. Garage it. or something.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Well yeah, but that’s Ford.

seriously though, it does look to have started in the engine bay but a fire starting like this is suspicious. Hopefully it is accidental and not foul play. Watch out for yourself, just in case…
I understand “that’s a Ford”. I was merely demonstrating that spontaneous electrical fires happen.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
why the hell are you parking that jeep in front of your house like that where everyone of ill intent can see it. Garage it. or something.
This can't possibly be a serious post. Does that mean that only people with garages can own Wranglers? I mean I have a garage and have never parked mine in there.

Sponsored

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
That's weird, man. If it was something like a short (unlikely, because fuses) or gasoline leaking onto a hot turbo, you'd be on fire within minutes upon arriving home. But an hour after going to bed? That's suspicious AF.
If it was a battery cable that was rubbed through the fuses won't help. I almost lost my old 66 Impala due to a bad cable, not lose, just rubbed through at a bracket, a little grease and POOF!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The batteries and relays are on the opposite side that was burning though. Where did you run lighting the wires through the firewall?
Is that based solely on the photos that show the fire on the driver side, or is there something more that makes you think that? I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about but the first thing that I saw in the photos was the hood appears to have completely melted away on the passenger side, but not on the driver side. My first thought was that area burned longer and may have been where the fire started, then it moved over to the driver side. In my mind it seems like the fire was moving through the driver side engine compartment at the time it was put out, but isn't that where the lithium battery lives (assuming this was etorq equipped)? To me that explains why the driver side door is gone and how the fire got so intense in that area, but ahead of the firewall I thought it looked like the passenger side was burning for a longer period of time. Just based on photos and pretty much no understanding of how fire works. I flick my lighter and fire happens like magic, that's about all I know.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
This can't possibly be a serious post. Does that mean that only people with garages can own Wranglers? I mean I have a garage and have never parked mine in there.
Agree, no need OP should hide his Jeep. That being said, the worst design flaw is the easy open hood. It begs maleficence. It's so easily fixed, too...like they did for the gas cap.

It used to be cute when jeeps were under $30K to be all money saving and stuff. Nowadays, with heated seats, leather, backup sensors, and they could toss in a lockable hood or at least offer it as an option.

OP
OP

Mattia60

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Does anyone have any information or facts as to why my 2018 Jeep Sahara would burn up in flames , Mods 3 inc lift, 35 inch nitto tires brand new as of this July. Front Bumper , winch, 50 inch light bar all older mods with no problems. Drove tru some floods on September 2 in NJ water about middle of rims for the most part slow 5 miles per hour nothing I have not done since I bought it new in 2018. Jeep drove fine been to dealer 1 time for service about 1.5 years ago vacuum line got pinched they rerouted it and everything was fine 36,000 miles oil changed very 5 thousand miles with royal purple oil and gear lube. Well maintained by me all work done by me including electric. Im am sick I loved my Jeep and enjoyed it soft top, hard top. Parked it in my driveway and went to bed and about 1 hr later fire dept in front of house putting out jeep.

tempImages6dvUs.png
I have been doing a lot of research on the 2.0 e torc turbo and under the truck is a 48 volt li
After a week of investigating so far it looks like the Ion Lithium batteries under the jeep could have caused the fire when they were submerged in flood water. The motor in this jeep is the 2.0 e torque turbo which has 48 volt Ion Lithium batteries 12 inches off the ground even with a lift and 35 inch tires . Spoke to the fire dept today and they said they could not get the fire out it took forever. Fire inspector for insurance called me today and did a back ground information call, if this is true Jeep has a big problem they state 30 inch of water you can go through. spoke to dealer today also and was not to happy with what they told me about the 2.0 that was in my truck!!!

Last edited:

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Mine is parked on the street, in the city. So far, no one has bothered it. But then, just a few doors down is the city of Pittsburgh Police Training facility and of course lots of police activity and police cars on the street all the time because of that. So sorry about your Jeep! It's heartbreaking to look at! By any chance, was it a manual? I just had my 21 back at the dealer for the recall because some manuals were catching on fire
Sponsored