Proper Jeep Wave

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I'm a boater, and a motorcycle rider, and now jeep owner. I pretty much wave at everyone now, it's exhausting, lol.
No boat, but motorcycle and wife and I both have jeeps, I'm constantly waiving. I get more in her Wrangler then I do in my Gladiator though.

Agree with all above, wave is a wave, no wrong way as long as you're doing it!

I saw a nice old KJ Liberty lifted the other day and threw him a wave, man did that dude smile and wave back with enthusiasm, I think it made both of our days.
Sponsored

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
I have found it more difficult here in Arizona where many windows and even windshields are tinted so dark you can't see the driver but I throw the two fingers of the steering wheel anyways. I have noticed the the mall crawler jeepers never wave back, but I still wave regardless

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
First Wrangler here & wife thought my "wave" was too enthusiastic. I toned it down to leaving my hand on the wheel. I've noticed that's what most folks do.

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
I do the two finger peace sign no matter where, or when. A few weeks ago i passed a right hand drive jeep. I put my wave in the pssengers area of my jeep so the mail lady did not feel wierd. I saw that made her laugh.

Last edited:

Sponsored

asm1125

First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Hell, sometimes I forget myself and I'll wave when I'm driving my wife's Mazda
My husband, who has driven a Wrangler for years, once got a wave from someone driving a Jeep while he was driving the Honda Civic I owned at the time. I don't know how they knew, but they knew.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't. Depends on my own mood (such as driving to work at 6 in the morning) and if I notice a Jeep around me. It's not all that serious. Wave if you want or don't wave. I do try to always return a wave if I see it as a sign of respect.

dfwmountainbiker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 (TJ) Wrangler
My husband, who has driven a Wrangler for years, once got a wave from someone driving a Jeep while he was driving the Honda Civic I owned at the time. I don't know how they knew, but they knew.
When I'm driving my wife's car over the years (instead of in the Jeep), I'd still wave to Jeeps bc it was habit and felt like a dolt, ha.

asm1125

First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
When I'm driving my wife's car over the years (instead of in the Jeep), I'd still wave to Jeeps bc it was habit and felt like a dolt, ha.
It's easy in our household because it's 2 Wranglers and a Gladiator so we're always waving, but I don't know how my husband isn't compulsively waving when he's driving his work truck 😆

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I think the whole "I am in a special club" thing is silly and alludes me. No rules or expectations should be the norm. In the country we all generally wave on dirt roads or to folks we recognize on main roads. It would be a waste of time to have expectations here as there are hundreds of rental Jeeps running around at any given time and nobody told them about the custom...

Sponsored

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
It all started after WWII, and was the 2 finger that represented "V" for victory. Not sure if it necessarily had to come from the steering wheel, pretty sure it didn't matter if it was out the window. Nowadays, any wave from anywhere that can be seen by those you're waving to is an equal acknowledgement of one fellow Jeep lover to the next. I, for one, don't hesitate to throw one to our JT cousins and even other offroad built up Jeep models from any generation or model. Some of the more enthusiastic responses have been from built Cherokees from yesteryear.
I've heard that too, but back in the 70"s, us teenagers with CJ's started waving & then it evolved in our area. I think the WWll story was made up by Jeep to make it seem greater than it is.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I tend to throw up as many fingers as I can with my hand on the wheel, often times I'm rowing gears so, I don't always have a free hand. My impulse is to Forest Gump it though. And, I'll be honest, I'm not really waving at the driver, I'm waving at the Jeep!

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
OMG! This is great!! It's been at least 2 weeks since the last Jeep wave thread, and I was beginning for forget how it worked.... yeah, I'm a smartass.
Just wave - out the window, over the steering wheel (one finger, two fingers, full hand, it doesn't matter), arm out the door, or a nod of acknowledgement when you pull up next to another Jeep.
I don't wave to get one back. I wave because we are kindred spirits and even if we have nothing else in common or our political beliefs are 180 out, we still have common ground. Mallcrawlers, stock Jeeps, built "rigs", even Gladiators.
Plus, since I'm consistent I can wave at the hot blondes in Jeeps without getting scorched by the Mrs....

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have found it more difficult here in Arizona where many windows and even windshields are tinted so dark you can't see the driver but I throw the two fingers of the steering wheel anyways. I have noticed the the mall crawler jeepers never wave back, but I still wave regardless
I find that's a bit of a problem out here on Oahu as well. I usually try to do the wave out of the driver's side window, either above the mirror or 'down low'... a shaka works as well, since it's Hawaii. 🍍 :like::)

Cheers,
-CM-
Sponsored