Backing Into Parking Spots: The Debate

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I back in everywhere unless it’s one of those lots with those one way lane angled spot things

i find it easier to back in between parked cars than back out into potentially moving traffic

vehicles also pivot better when backing in, that’s why the first move in parallel parking is the backupturn into the spot which leads me to my next point

I back into my garage as well. Mainly because I like how I can unload directly into my house and not have to carrystuff around the car potentially knocking stuff over. And currently in my two car garage is my Hummer H1 and my Jeep so both need a little pivoting action to make them fit and it’s much easier to go backwards in and forwards out as a result. I do typically leave the garage open a little bit to air it out

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
In parking lots I almost always back into the space unless the spots are striped at an angle or someone is waiting for me to get out of the way. My wife says it's a guy thing.

In the garage, I drive straight in due to less exhaust fumes that way.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I don't usually back in. And never when its a one way lane with angled spots. If pulling through is an option I may do that.

When parking the tow pig, I'll find a straight spot on the perimeter that lets me hang the long butt out of the way if I can.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I ways thought backing in was a "jeep thing". Did it before too, though.

Back in or pull through, unless there's a tray in the back hitch, or I know I'm buying lots of stuff.

If there's a tray in the front hitch, there's probably one in the back too, so then I'll park out in the sticks, because now I'm weirdly long.

Exception: super crowded lot and someone pulls out of a spot you've got your blinker on for, and there's another person behind you. They'll definitely take the spot if you pull past in order to back in.

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
A few years ago I was working a valet job in college where all of the cars were to be backed into their spot. These spots were super tight and company policy demanded that we only back in. Basically, since then I have almost always backed my vehicles into parking spots. My fiancé is ever so embarrassed when i do this because she is opposed to reverse parking as it seems stupid and that normal parking just makes more sense.

My caveat: I will not back into parking spots in parking structures, OR if I am going to be making someone else wait for me. ( If Someone is behind me)

It doesnt ever Take more than putting the car into reverse to get the job done, no multiple point turns or that nonSense. If it takes more forwards and backwards I often say that the spot is too small lol and I ought to be parked back more in the Lot.

Is backing into parking spots a frowned upon thing? It seems that many people find it annoying, but it seems of those people the annoying part is them having to wait while some ding dong makes a 15 point turn to park. Thoughts? LOL
Why would it be frowned upon? I would be embarrassed if your fiancé is backing out if parking places to leave. I mean who backs out of parking places?

The best parking is pulling forward all the way to the front spot where one can just drive on out. Weirder yet are those that stop at the forward back spot with the front open, I mean do they like backing out?

Perfect Parking:

1:18 in the trailer below.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Back in whenever possible since it’s easier to get out for aforementioned reasons. That being said, it needs to be done on the first try and not making people wait for you to do it.

Regarding backing into my garage, I do so since my power rack and weights are in the R-side stall so parking on the L means I don’t have to worry about flinging my driver’s side door open and hitting the wall.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I’ve been teased for years about always backing it in. Good to see I’m not the only sane person around. It’s much safer and makes life easier when pulling out. Especially on a relatively busy street like where I live. My personal fear or anxiety when backing up has always been some little kid just running behind me I likely couldn’t see. Backing it in completely axes that anxiety.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I back into my garage in my current house, and 2/3 previous residences. It is more of a function of which side I’m parking on. I try to keep the driver door on the inside of the garage to allow maximum clearance for both vehicles.
The lift will change that, jeep won’t fit.
I do this too. Driver doors in the middle.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
I rarely back in. The exceptions would be small cramped parking lots, concerts/events, and the mall around the holidays.

People who back in usually annoy me, only because most of them suck at it. Conversely, those who back in on the first try with no correction put a smile on my face.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I rarely back in. The exceptions would be small cramped parking lots, concerts/events, and the mall around the holidays.

People who back in usually annoy me, only because most of them suck at it. Conversely, those who back in on the first try with no correction put a smile on my face.
Exactly. Has to be first time. A lot easier than backing a boat into a slip. I back in most times. I think I’m pretty good at it. I like looking at the front of my Jeep too.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I didn't usually back in, but started doing it with my Ram 1500 because it's was so darn long and hard to park straight head-in. I also backed it into the garage because the back-up camera gave a perfect view of when to stop. I'm now backing my 4xe into parking spots, but not into the garage because of two reasons. I need the hood in first to clear under the hard top suspended from the ceiling, and the charge cord won't reach the cowl charge port if I back in because of where I have it wall mounted.
Sponsored