First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I'm finally ready to switch from my flux core wire welder to a MIG, but I want one made in the USA and still not too pricey. I found a Hobart 190 MIG which is made in the USA and actually has some Miller sourced pieces used in it. Although I've been welding for 30+ years and have used many different welders, I've actually never used a Hobart, so I am looking for help on what's good or bad on them. I do know I wont be happy with one of the 110V units so those are out. Since the Hobart 190 is a 220V unit it'll be able to weld anything I can throw at it in my little workshop.
Sponsored

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
have used the hobart 190 as my garage welder for the last 10 years. Works great but mine doesn't have infinite voltage control. Just 4 power settings. No complaints .I use mostly .023 and a little .030. I just wish duty cycle was a little higher when I get involved in somethin larger. No complaints and have had zero problems.....Hobart used to be a big welder company in the olden times.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
have used the hobart 190 as my garage welder for the last 10 years. Works great but mine doesn't have infinite voltage control. Just 4 power settings. No complaints .I use mostly .023 and a little .030. I just wish duty cycle was a little higher when I get involved in somethin larger. No complaints and have had zero problems.....Hobart used to be a big welder company in the olden times.
Sounds like a decent welder. The newest Hobart 190 now has 7 power settings VS the 4 you have. I plan on doing some sheet metal repairs on my 76 F100 next year so I want to get all the MIG stuff together this year.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Love my hobart, want's to be a miller when it grows up. No complaints. Once you go gas you never go back.
I've used a larger Miller MIG for many years where I used to work. I could make some excellent welds with it. My Craftsman flux core wire welder is a joke in comparison.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Back in another life when I was a welder one shop had a few Hobart Beta Migs (240 or 250). When they were working they were great, but I did prefer Miller. on the smaller ones I know a few people who do auto body repair and light sheet metal fabrication and they actually swear by the smaller Hobart's. I am planning to buy a small one myself so will be interested to see how you like it if you get one. I was planning to buy a small miller as I can buy it through Homedepot on my card and get a big discount, but would not hesitate to get a Hobart if the price was right. (the larger ones the shop had had issues with the feed system speed control. it would have a life of their own out of the blue, then next use would be fine.)

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Back in another life when I was a welder one shop had a few Hobart Beta Migs (240 or 250). When they were working they were great, but I did prefer Miller. on the smaller ones I know a few people who do auto body repair and light sheet metal fabrication and they actually swear by the smaller Hobart's. I am planning to buy a small one myself so will be interested to see how you like it if you get one. I was planning to buy a small miller as I can buy it through Homedepot on my card and get a big discount, but would not hesitate to get a Hobart if the price was right. (the larger ones the shop had had issues with the feed system speed control. it would have a life of their own out of the blue, then next use would be fine.)
Yes, the smaller Hobart unit should fit my needs perfectly. If I owned a farm I would go bigger. A larger welder will just be overkill and a waste of money at my house. I'll post an update after I get a welder.

2021Nacho

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu Rubicon, 2015 Jk sport
Occupation
Semi-retired
I use a Miller wire feed but I LOVE my Hobart plasma cutter...

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the smaller Hobart unit should fit my needs perfectly. If I owned a farm I would go bigger. A larger welder will just be overkill and a waste of money at my house. I'll post an update after I get a welder.
Both the Hobart and Lincoln dual voltage smaller welders are another good option. I was looking at the Lincoln PowerMig 210 as well last year. Homedepot does some weird things with brands they carry online, and Miller's were not an option for a while. (may not be still, have not looked in a few months). I think Hobart has a 210 model as well if you wanted the ability to jump up the power.

I always keep an eye on Homedepot, I actually bought a Warn Zeon 10s winch there last year on sale, and using a discount code saved another 200$. I think shipped to my door was under 1k. they don't always have them in stock, but if you can catch them and have a card you can get some really good deals.

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I used an older Clark 110v mig gas welder for years. Got pretty good with it, I thought.
My son went out and bought an ESAB Smart MIG, 30amp.
Holy Crap! Like night and day. This thing will automatically adjust itself to the best weld, if you want. Makes my welds look professional. It’s got a long duty cycle, and has a TIG attachment.
We were doing a lot of welding in a project, 3/16” and 1/4” steel, lots of big welds. Borrowed a buddy’s Lincoln MIG to double up of what we could do. After about 3 welds, gave up on the Lincoln!
Pricey, but worth the cost.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bought a Hobart 190 MIG welder from Tractor Supply. Best price I could find locally and in stock.

This welder is not made in the USA. Found Made in China and Taiwan in several places. The only thing I found on it made in the USA so far are the welding tips. It is assembled in the USA.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Still need to get some shielding gas and some solid wire. I already know I won't be impressed by the flux core wire welding so that's not really important to me.
I also ordered a MIG, TIG, plasma cutter cart so I have room to add stuff later.

Since getting it I discovered that getting the shielded tank for it is not so straight forward. One place stated I must already have a tank to exchange for a full one. Another (same company, different location) stated I don't need an empty tank to exchange. Go to get it and all they have is the expensive almost $500 #4 125 c.f. tank. So I buy it. Go to load and noticed right away it's way too light. Take the cap off and crack the valve with my regulator attached. Gauges don't move a damn bit. Removed the gauges and open valve. Nothing! Absolutely empty tank! Bummer.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Found a local welding supplier and got the C25 80CF tank from them. Also got an 8 inch 11 lb spool of .023 wire, pack of extra .023 tips and nozzle dip. All for less than $400. Tractor Supply is right at $500 just for one 125 CF tank.

Just FYI, the tips are Miller and can be found easily.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a Hobart 210mvp

If I could do it again, I'd get a HF Vulcan multiprocess

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a Hobart 210mvp

If I could do it again, I'd get a HF Vulcan multiprocess
Have you used an HF Vulcan welder? There are so many good options that are outside of my budget right now. Someday I'll go to a higher level welder. So far the little Hobart 190 I decided on is doing excellent.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just in case anyone is interested. Here is my little $1400 all in Hobart Handler 190 MIG setup. I'll build a wall mounted fold up welding table later. For now I have a portable 18" x 40" steel plate that's 3/8" thick with handles to use.

That's an Eastwood cart. I tossed the supplied hardware to the side and used all grade eight 1/4" hardware. It's a nice sturdy cart for what I'll do with it. And it has room for my flux core only wire welder to fit in the bottom. Anyway there it is.

0426211659.jpg
Sponsored