Sponsored

MIG Welders - Anyone have input on these?

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
My wife would have killed me had I bought a cheap or bargain tool. So when I told her a few years back I needed a new welder, she said go get something "decent".
Sorry for going OT, but where did you get her? I've been searching my whole life...
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool. Where did you end up buying it? I may have to get one.
Baker Gas--they were fantastic to work with, had the cheapest price, free shipping, and no sales tax.

HDSlowride

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
I have a Hobart Handler 140. Can plug into 120 volt outlet so I can take it most anywhere. I've used a Lincoln 225 stick welder around farm equipment since I was 13 years old so this MIG is a dream come true for me. Well worth the $$.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I have had a miller matic 200 since the early 1990's. traded for it. I still use it today.

Sponsored

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Miller for 240v units.
Lincoln for 120v units.

Been my experience and several of the local fab/metal shops will/have said the same.

My next wirefeed will be an either/or 120/240v machine that will run gas or Flux core. Most versatility, plus capabilities to run spool gun for stainless or aluminum.

No tap adjustments either.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have the Miller 210 MVP. Transformer based instead of inverter so heavier but long term I think better. And probably more than I needed for my hobby use but ‘buy once, cry once’ and I know it will last me my lifetime. I like the ability to run 110v when I have to but at 220v, this thing welds!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Just bought a Lincoln 210MP. MIG, gas or flux, Stick and TIG with an additional kit. All I need to do is get a bottle of gas and get to work. I have a lot of things waiting.

I’ve always used Miller before, so let’s see how this one works. The reviews look great. My local welding supply shop sells both, and recommended this over a Millermatic 211.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Miller for 240v units.
Lincoln for 120v units.

Been my experience and several of the local fab/metal shops will/have said the same.

My next wirefeed will be an either/or 120/240v machine that will run gas or Flux core. Most versatility, plus capabilities to run spool gun for stainless or aluminum.

No tap adjustments either.
Well...we're about to find out. The Lincoln 211i I bought is going to be ran on 240v only...

Huntinwild88

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm welder in the Airforce and although we don't use Mig on Aircraft, the only welders we use are miller's, for both our Mig and Tig machines.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm welder in the Airforce and although we don't use Mig on Aircraft, the only welders we use are miller's, for both our Mig and Tig machines.
In a former life, I worked in industrial construction and we had a mix of Lincoln and Miller.

Typically, the "8 Pack" was Miller and the diesels were Lincoln. They are both good machines, though depending on speciality, one can have more suitability than the other

In my case, a comparable Miller would have been considerably more, so I opted for the Lincoln.

Huntinwild88

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
In a former life, I worked in industrial construction and we had a mix of Lincoln and Miller.

Typically, the "8 Pack" was Miller and the diesels were Lincoln. They are both good machines, though depending on speciality, one can have more suitability than the other

In my case, a comparable Miller would have been considerably more, so I opted for the Lincoln.
Our portable "deployment" welders are typically Lincoln trailblazers(if i remember correctly) . But it's because we run everything off that generator.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I am looking for a machine that has ability to:

1. Separate the wire feed from the amps
2. Use gas in addition to flux core
3. 240v is fine as I am not going to be using it outside of my shop

I have a small Tooliom TL-135A multi-process welder, and for the $100 I paid for it a few years ago. It works great, but is very limited when you need to weld thicker materials because the wire speed is not adjustable and it is too fast when needing to run a slower bead.

I have been looking at a few and would like this to be my "last" MIG machine so these are on my short list and would like some input on them if anyone has an experience with them.

For the money, the HF Vulcan seems to be a sweet spot, but at the same time long term viability and parts availability could be an issue (time will tell, but it is Harbor Freight).

(EDIT to add prices and a Hobart machine)

$1900 - Miller Millermatic 211 MIG
$1300 - Lincoln PowerMIG 211i
$1100 - Hobart Handler 210MVP
$950 - HF Vulcan MIG Max215
The Lincoln and the Hobart are excellent units, I have no knowledge of the Vulcan.

Miller, my blood runs blue and the 211 Millermatic was my choice for 10 years, input V 110/120 & 220-240.

I strongly recommend you go gas and not Fluxwire. IF you have a place to weld indoors, go gas.

There is ALWAYS a demand for a Miller if you want to sell when you decide to. I have sold 3 millers over the years and the fone starts ringing the morning of the ad and gone by noon every time.

I would be welding now but at my age my eyeballs are not young, I sure miss it!

Miller way underrates its equipment. I built HD stuff (bumpers, rocker guards etc custom work like trailers for Overlanders) for Jeeps and Superduty trucks.

This is an Overland-built-to-spec trailer for one of my clients.. Later I added a fixed top that sat about a foot over the top of the trailer and he put a fixed fold out tent on top.

Jeep Wrangler JL MIG Welders - Anyone have input on these? 18032010509

Last edited:
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Lincoln and the Hobart are excellent units, I have no knowledge of the Vulcan.

Miller, my blood runs blue and the 211 Millermatic was my choice for 10 years, input V 110/120 & 220-240.

I strongly recommend you go gas and not Fluxwire. IF you have a place to weld indoors, go gas.

There is ALWAYS a demand for a Miller if you want to sell when you decide to. I have sold 3 millers over the years and the fone starts ringing the morning of the ad and gone by noon every time.

I would be welding now but at my age my eyeballs are not young, I sure miss it!

Miller way underrates its equipment. I built HD stuff (bumpers, rocker guards etc custom work like trailers for Overlanders) for Jeeps and Superduty trucks.

This is an Overland-built-to-spec trailer for one of my clients.. Later I added a fixed top that sat about a foot over the top of the trailer and he put a fixed fold out tent on top.

Jeep Wrangler JL MIG Welders - Anyone have input on these? 18032010509
Definitely going gas (tired of the splatter and clean up needed with flux core).

I bought a Lincoln 211i (their newest machine). It was a great price and from all of the videos I have seen, it welds great too.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Definitely going gas (tired of the splatter and clean up needed with flux core).

I bought a Lincoln 211i (their newest machine). It was a great price and from all of the videos I have seen, it welds great too.
I would use Flux core, but with luck the guy that taught me would not use Fluxcore either. He was a great welder and taught me well and taught me that just cause its pretty, does not mean its a good weld. He had me practice and on different scenarios and then cut the weldment open and see my penetration, I learned fast under his hand. I cannot stack dimes due to and injury to right shoulder and my nerves so my hand shakes slightly.

Probably singing to the choir, but I used Copper tip shields instead of Brasss, which last longer, stay cleaner and do not hold the splatter. not cheap but in the long run you are ahead.
Sponsored