Sponsored

4xe Hill/Mountain Pass Performance

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I'm in the process of shopping around for a 4xe and one of the use cases I have, that I havent yet seen reports on, is traversing mountain passes. Obviously this is not going to be an area where Electric mode makes any sense, but what I'm interested in finding out is how the hybrid system works at ascending mountain grades. Generally speaking I know the torque is good for low RPM low speed hill climbs, but how does the 4xe handle this at freeway speeds? Does it constantly shift back and forth hunting for a gear? Or does it comfortably hold 3k rpm and just hum along? Has anyone had any experience yet with this scenario?
Sponsored

dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I live in the French valley area (Temecula, Murrieta) of SoCal and take mountain roads to and from work for the view and to not get in gridlock. I will pay more attention to the tach tomorrow on my commute but I SKL tell you that I’ve had no issues whatsoever with power loss or sluggishness. It’s been a blast to drive on these roads.

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
I live in the French valley area (Temecula, Murrieta) of SoCal and take mountain roads to and from work for the view and to not get in gridlock. I will pay more attention to the tach tomorrow on my commute but I SKL tell you that I’ve had no issues whatsoever with power loss or sluggishness. It’s been a blast to drive on these roads.
Sounds like you work in Pendleton and take Sandia creek lol

dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
Sounds like you work in Pendleton and take Sandia creek lol
100% correct lol. Sometimes I mix it up and go through Pala - I enjoy driving. Even if the trip takes longer, I love moving and not being stuck in traffic.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
How was the commute?

Sponsored

dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
How was the commute?
It was easy. The 4xe basically drives itself. It shifts smoothly going up and down the hills, even the steepest one that I drove (28 grade I think). When it comes to a steep uphill it will downshift pretty smoothly unless you gun it, in which case it’ll downshift pretty firmly and send you into the seat. RPMs were pretty tame throughout the trip on the hills, very rarely getting up to 4K. I even took the path once on full electric mode and it made pretty easy work of it (although it obviously took a lot of juice).
It felt 10 times better driving the 4xe on that same path than my JT ever felt.

The 4xe is simply fun as hell to drive. The instant torque is a total game changer.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I LIVE at 3500-4k rpm with the 3.6. It works.. but just barely lol. With the 4xe and 392 people will be surprised to have a Jeep pulling away from them at stop lights.