Sponsored

Real world difference between LSD & lockers

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The jeep LSD will wear out in 30-30k miles. It's pretty worthless. The only saving grace is that I believe you get the Dana 44 rear axle for a very modest price.
Sponsored

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
JLU sport here with the 6 speed.
I have been wheeling my JLU sport hard with the LSD for 13k miles. I have been very surprised with the performance. Also don’t forget the BLD system Is helping in the background. With a little bit of left foot braking and the LSD I haven't been stopped yet.
This..... and good off-road tires, I bought Rubi take offs, a winch and learned to engage the lsd with the handbrake. It’s a world of difference.

I’m not rock crawling but in the mud, sand and snow.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
The jeep LSD will wear out in 30-30k miles. It's pretty worthless. The only saving grace is that I believe you get the Dana 44 rear axle for a very modest price.
True. I think the trick with the new "improved" dana LSD is to change the oil quickly. I changed mine at around only 4,900 miles and the oil looked like black tar!! I then changed again at around 10,000 miles and it looked better, but still very dark. I will change again here in a few weeks when I reach 20,000.

The manual states to "inspect" the oil at 20,000. This is way to long, I think if people where changing out the oil after break-in, they would not be having all these issues. At least that is my hope with mine, I guess time will tell.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
This..... and good off-road tires, I bought Rubi take offs, a winch and learned to engage the lsd with the handbrake. It’s a world of difference.

I’m not rock crawling but in the mud, sand and snow.
Sorry, but I'm not understanding you. You say you bought Rubi Take-Offs, which would imply you don't have a LSD. The Rubi axles act as an "Open" differential, unless locked in.

What is this "handbrake" you are referencing?

Not trying to be rude, just don't understand what you are talking about.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Sorry, but I'm not understanding you. You say you bought Rubi Take-Offs, which would imply you don't have a LSD. The Rubi axles act as an "Open" differential, unless locked in.

"Rubi take-offs" meaning Rubicon wheels and tires.

Sponsored

Shellbird01

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Shara Unlimited
FYI - I’m at 80 k Kim’s / 52 miles and appears to be working

No worries. I’m originally from Newfoundland we have a language of our own... no really...

The Rubi take offs we’re KO2 tires not axles, the Hand brake is what we call the park brake. I pull it a few clicks to engage the lsd just before I think I need it When off roading.

Cheers

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
if the Limited Slip in our JLs is like my last J**p, it's a Trac-Lok, which is a clutch-pack style and good for about 30K miles, after which it does significantly less 'limiting' of slip. as already mentioned, keeping fresh oil in it (especially early on) helps prolong its limited life.

even with or without a TAD, using the hand-brake (a.k.a. Parking Brake) judiciously when accelerating gently while slipping gently works wonders at getting a slipipng rear wheel to lock up enough that traction will be applied to the side with less slip, and get you through quite a few (not-so-)sticky situations, and it works even better with a LSD.

what is "best" really depends on many things; where you're going, what you're doing, when you're going to be there, and how much accelerator control you have.
a Limited Slip rear end is much less abusive on axle parts than a full locker, as the LSD doesn't transmit 100% of the torque to either side. it's also much more comfortable to drive with over rough washboard roads than a locked axle, as it still allows some play between right and left sides.
auto-lockers are scary if they engage on an off-camber snowy-icy road. selectable lockers will force one wheel on an axle to slip through a turn, so that's always something to consider if you want or not.

when the Trac-Lok in my last J**p wore out, i put a gear-driven Trutrac limited slip in to replace it, and never looked back; that seemed to be the best of all worlds.

do your studying before you spend your money; every solution is going to be a compromise somewhere.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You may not need anything other than the BLD that comes with the jeep. Check out

and also the banned site way of life pipi project and watch eddie wheel his JL pippi in the rocks stock with crummy stock street tires. pretty impressive - of course he had great spotting, knows the area well, and has lots of experience.
I had a 2020 sport that I would still be driving today but an F150 had plans for the Jeep. It had the limited slip and went anywhere I wanted to go. I ended up in a Rubicon because it was the only manual transmission Jeep available in my area. Between the BLD & off-road+ I have rarely had to use lockers.
Sponsored