Sponsored

Is this engine braking or an issue?

OddyNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a JLUR with 3.6/8speed and upshifting is seamless, however when braking, the downshift kicks are often pretty noticeable. Especially into 3rd and 2nd. I could be applying even braking pressure and as it shifts down and reaches 3rd and 2nd, the kick into those gears feels noticeable and almost like a downshift in a manual, but doesn't always feel smooth, it feels very sudden. Like if i'm applying gradual pressure, at some point during the shifts down, it will start kicking into lower gears and slowing me down much quicker. So i'm not sure if this is by design or not. I've driven JK's and the downshifts are as smooth as the upshifts. I haven't driven any other JL's than mine, so I have nothing to compare to. So is this normal for this trans or is there an issue here?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Doesn’t sound normal from what you’re describing. How many miles are on the transmission? It may need more learning.

OP
OP

OddyNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Nearly 2500 miles on the Jeep

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
It should have learned by then, but it also may have learned some bad habits. I’d take it in to a dealer if you have time to be without it. I wouldn’t expect anything quick.

OP
OP

OddyNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It should have learned by then, but it also may have learned some bad habits. I’d take it in to a dealer if you have time to be without it. I wouldn’t expect anything quick.
Yea it doesn't feel kosher. I'll make an appoinment to have it checked out. I was curious if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Sponsored

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon
I have a JLUR with 3.6/8speed and upshifting is seamless, however when braking, the downshift kicks are often pretty noticeable. Especially into 3rd and 2nd. I could be applying even braking pressure and as it shifts down and reaches 3rd and 2nd, the kick into those gears feels noticeable and almost like a downshift in a manual, but doesn't always feel smooth, it feels very sudden. Like if i'm applying gradual pressure, at some point during the shifts down, it will start kicking into lower gears and slowing me down much quicker. So i'm not sure if this is by design or not. I've driven JK's and the downshifts are as smooth as the upshifts. I haven't driven any other JL's than mine, so I have nothing to compare to. So is this normal for this trans or is there an issue here?
I've noticed mine doing it before, especially when braking a little more aggressively from a higher rate of speed. Personally I like it as it transfers some of the load from the brake pads to the driveline.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sounds like a transmission control module that didn’t quite learn how to properly shift during its’ first 500 miles. Of course, the best thing to do is to see a (competent) dealer but for those who hate going to dealers, there is a way to reset the module and force the transmission to relearn your driving habits for the next 500 miles. My 2021 JLUR (1300 on odo) also downshifts when breaking, especially when I’m driving going downhill, and it is most noticeable during those down hill break applications, but it’s still nowhere as rough as a manual imho.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
What you're describing sounds normal to me. Mine downshifts very similar to my F150 10 speed when it's in Sports mode.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP

OddyNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What you're describing sounds normal to me. Mine downshifts very similar to my F150 10 speed when it's in Sports mode.

Later,
Johnny
I think maybe i'm being too apprehensive while driving because i'm babying this thing. It's my first brand new vehicle. I drove it a little different today and didn't notice it as intensely. So maybe it'll turn out to be a case of design and learned driving habits. Never owned a Wrangler before, coming from Civics and Subaru's, so this a new animal and i'm not always sure what's normal or not.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I think maybe i'm being too apprehensive while driving because i'm babying this thing. It's my first brand new vehicle. I drove it a little different today and didn't notice it as intensely. So maybe it'll turn out to be a case of design and learned driving habits. Never owned a Wrangler before, coming from Civics and Subaru's, so this a new animal and i'm not always sure what's normal or not.
Drive it hard, for about a thousand miles. See if it changes. Worst case scenario, you still need to see the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

OddyNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Drive it hard, for about a thousand miles. See if it changes. Worst case scenario, you still need to see the dealer.
That's a good suggestion, that's kinda what I was thinking too. Give it time to relearn habits maybe and then go from there.

OP
OP

OddyNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
As I apply braking pressure, the downshifts can be felt slowing down the vehicle. Is that normal behavior then? It's not super abrupt, I'm just not used to it. Then again, I've only ever driven standard transmission cars until now.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Later,
Johnny
Especially if the vehicle senses your nose is downhill.
Sponsored