Sponsored

Factory JLR With 35" Tires?

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
I see that the Bronco's biggest draw is the fact that you can purchase it directly from the factory with 35" tires. This got me wondering, why not offer factory 35" on the Jeep as well? Clearly it's more capable than a Bronco.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Because FCA already struggles to meet CAFE numbers as it is...and because FCA rather give its owner, John Elkann, one more penny in profits, than give Jeep customers anything more —incl. better quality and/or better customer service.

It took FCA four model years to fix the damn steering. Now it’s going to take the return of Ford Bronco to make 35” tires optional on Rubicon.

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
Because FCA already struggles to meet CAFE numbers as it is...and because FCA rather give its owner, John Elkann, one more penny in profits, than give Jeep customers anything more —incl. better quality and/or better customer service.

It took FCA four model years to fix the damn steering. Now it’s going to take the return of Ford Bronco to make 35” tires optional on Rubicon.

It takes competion to drive change. Look at the mustang when while the Camaro was gone. Yes ford updated it. But ford didn't do anything extra. After the competition showed up ford had actually had to try. They've had 3 separate supercharged v8s developed. A flat plane v8. Resurrected the 5.0 and finally went independent rear suspension.

33s factory is more than anyone really needs. Just like a regular v8 pony car. They didn't have to come out with supercharged v8s. But the competition did so the battle starts.

Jeep will bring tires and a few more engine options I'm sure. Competition drives innovation.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Pre Covid Jeep was going to offer a limited run special edition called the JPP20 (available in either ocean blue or white) from the factory.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory JLR With 35" Tires? 1599314720359

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory JLR With 35" Tires? 1599314773599

Another casualty of CoviD19.

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pre Covid Jeep was going to offer a limited run special edition called the JPP20 (available in either ocean blue or white) from the factory.

Wasn't going to include bigger tires though, and it was going to be based off a Sport S not a Rubicon so it would probably be missing things such as front and rear locking diffs and sway bar disconnect; so probably not too popular. It also sounds like a lot of the upgrades weren't going to come straight from the factory as buyers would get a roughly $4,300 credit to use at the dealership to customize.

Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
The only reason I would want 35s from the factory is that I would hope it would be geared LOWER than 4.10. The added cost of regearing when already buying 5 tires and possibly wheels is a big bummer.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

1599314720359.jpeg

1599314773599.jpeg

Really? Jeep loves to tease with “concepts” like these, most of which never materialize. More often than not, they turn up as just another watered down sticker edition.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Wasn't going to include bigger tires though, and it was going to be based off a Sport S not a Rubicon so it would probably be missing things such as front and rear locking diffs and sway bar disconnect; so probably not too popular. It also sounds like a lot of the upgrades weren't going to come straight from the factory as buyers would get a roughly $4,300 credit to use at the dealership to customize.
No, 35” tires were part of the build. The vehicle would be completed in the factory, moved to a shop adjacent to the factory, have the upgrades added and then sent back to the factory to be prepped for shipping.

Not too popular? I disagree. Many sport owners equip their Jeeps with a 2” lift and 35’s among other things. Lockers and other Rubicon goodies that come from the factory as standard are good but we’d be lying if we said they are the end all be all.

Jeep’s intention in offering this model was to recapture that lost revenue by taking it from the aftermarket. How well this special edition would have sold now is anyone’s guess.

The interest was definitely there.
Really? Jeep loves to tease with “concepts” like these, most of which never materialize. More often than not, they turn up as just another watered down sticker edition.
LOL well you’re not wrong in saying this. This time it was different because they were raiding their mopar parts shop and partnering with a business near the factory to modify and produce rigs. Covid put a damper on their plans.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Before the Bronco, I did not understand why Jeep did not offer 35” tires and a 2” lift from the factory on the “Rubicon Big Penis Edition” (Or whatever else that they wanted to call it). I might have bought it if they did.

with the Bronco coming out, I am sure that Jeep will offer the Rubcion BP soon enough.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Before the Bronco, I did not understand my Jeep did not offer 35” tires and a 2” lift from the factory on the “Rubicon Big Penis Edition” (Or whatever else that they wanted to call it). I might have bought it if they did.

with the Bronco coming out, I am sure that Jeep will offer the Rubcion BP soon enough.
LMAO!

The Rubicon Grand Phallus edition, to pass censorship at the trademarks office... :LOL:

The sticker will show the silhouette of two Sasquatchs in the forest in missionary style.

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
After doing extensive research, I am a bit bummed that you can't "properly" fit 35's on a Rubicon without a lift. The only way you won't have rubbing issues at full articulation is to use stock rims, which aren't rated for 315's :-/

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
After doing extensive research, I am a bit bummed that you can't "properly" fit 35's on a Rubicon without a lift. The only way you won't have rubbing issues at full articulation is to use stock rims, which aren't rated for 315's :-/
I am aware that a 315 is out of spec on a 7.5” rim.

as to 315’s on other rims....

I have heard some of this “Rubbing” buzz too. But I can find nothing definitive about it. Tons of folks seem to use 3rd party rims and 315’s off-road without issue. But others say what you say. Can yOu direct me to your research that says 315’s will rub Without a lift?

OP
OP

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeap, which is why a lot of us can't understand why Jeep doesn't offer the 2" lift straight from the factory. Seems like a lost opportunity to make some extra $ which I'm sure a lot of us would gladly shell out.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I would prefer to get the cheapest tires possible on a new Jeep, and have the sticker price come down to reflect that, because I prefer to pick out my OWN brand/tread style! OEM tires, in my experience, are typically crap, including the so-called “all terrain” tires that came on my new 2018 JL Sport. They were dangerous on the road and totally ineffective off-road. I quickly replaced them with Toyo Open Country AT2s in a larger diameter (33”). It made a HUGE positive difference!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just spent 3 days on “red” trails in Moab on 35s and sport fenders (rubicon springs). Yeah it rubbed. It rubbed all the time in fact. Even disconnected. But it wasn’t enough to rip the fenders off.
Sponsored