KC HiLites Question

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I am getting a Mopar Winch Guard for the stock Rubicon Steel Bumper. I am going to put some KC HiLites 6" Round on it. My question is this, I have the LED lights, so that mean I have to get the LED KC's? The halogens are so much cheaper - but I don't want them to look out of place. I don't do any crazy off road driving - especially not in the dark. These are going to be mostly for looks and obviously used when needed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks -
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
You can put halogens on there...but if you're going to use the stock LED circuit you'll probably want to add a relay that supplies power from the battery. Halogens typically draw more amps.

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
You can put halogens on there...but if you're going to use the stock LED circuit you'll probably want to add a relay that supplies power from the battery. Halogens typically draw more amps.
Thanks - If I am connecting them to the auxillary switches - that shouldn't be an issue, right?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Thanks - If I am connecting them to the auxillary switches - that shouldn't be an issue, right?
I would assume the aux switches are already ready, but I don't have them.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@whiterubicon

You choice, either Halogen or LED .... And yes, very easy to wire to an Aux wire. You connect directly to the Aux wire and no need for any relays or even a harness that may come with the KC's.

Just find out what the wattage total of the 2 lamps is.... and then figure out the Amp Draw. Once you know amp draw you can decide how to proceed, Aux wire wise..

I believe the 6" KC rounds are 100 watt each... so, that's 16.667 amps total draw.

With that said you would have to use either Aux 1 or 2 as they are fused at 40 amp and can handle the 16.667 amp draw that the 15 amp fused Aux 3 and 4 can't handle..

IF you use the 40 amp fused, Aux 1 or 2, you would want to have an inline fuse holder with a 20 amp fuse on the power to the KC's, so you had some protection for the KC's.

Now, if you go with LED's you could possibly use Aux 1 or 2 as Led's have far less amp draw. Would need to know amp draw of an LED pair to be sure..

Sponsored

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I installed KC Daylighters (halogen) on Mopar bumper mounts (they actually mount to the frame behind the bumper) on my halogen headlight/led tailight Sport S.

I used one of the 40A aux switch circuits, but reduced the fuse amperage in the power distribution box to better match the amperage draw of the Daylighters. I also installed a weather resistant Inline fuse holder. As I recall, the KC harness is a lighter gauge than the 40A aux circuit, so take that into consideration when you plan your wiring/fusing. Also, I ran a ground wire back to a grounding lug under the hood, rather than use the supplied individual grounds (e.g. to the light mounts), and wrapped everything in split loom for a clean look.

Very happy with the KC Daylighters!
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites Question 91D4D55E-B9A6-441D-B2F6-B97E84B6799A
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites Question 2B878865-BDDF-4534-9D30-BCA4FF06FD69
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites Question 860C4025-427B-4C1E-9080-DB7C0DD7C74E

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
I am getting a Mopar Winch Guard for the stock Rubicon Steel Bumper. I am going to put some KC HiLites 6" Round on it. My question is this, I have the LED lights, so that mean I have to get the LED KC's? The halogens are so much cheaper - but I don't want them to look out of place. I don't do any crazy off road driving - especially not in the dark. These are going to be mostly for looks and obviously used when needed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks -
You can use either type, but note that the halogens have a much higher amperage draw. The look will be your own personal preference. Another thing to conciser, if you have the LED package with the nice crisp white light, you may want LED off-road lights to keep the color temp similar for yours eyes. The halogen will have a softer white/yellowish light.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I have LED headlights (bulb replacement) with halogen aux lights... I get some dense fog around here and LEDs are pretty harsh/blue/white for visibility in fog. My plan is to cut my headlights and only use the halogen aux lights in heavy fog. The halogens are yellower and aimed down more than my headlights but are up high enough and bright enough to serve as suitable headlight replacements (at least in fog). I haven't had an opportunity to test this out yet though.

It's technically illegal to run w/o headlights in fog or at night and also illegal to run with aux lights on the road; but if properly aimed, these aux lights instead of my headlights should be safer for both me and oncoming drivers. I'd considered changing the aux lights to two motorcycle headlights (similar single-bolt mount as aux lights), but I'm not sure if a cop would agree with my smartass maneuvering around the law... "hey man, those are DOT approved headlights.. they're just mounted to my bumper hoop"... truthfully, this fog only happens out here in the woods, there aint any cops roaming around here in the fog looking to write someone up on equipment violations.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I have factory LED headlights and Fog lights. I put KC halogen fog lights on my Mopar Winch Guard. The reason that I chose halogen fogs is that hear in Ohio we get snow. The factory LED'S do not produce enough heat and will get snow covered. The halogens heat up right away and and melt snow quickly. I have to say the LED option have a better light though.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
I have factory LED headlights and Fog lights. I put KC halogen fog lights on my Mopar Winch Guard. The reason that I chose halogen fogs is that hear in Ohio we get snow. The factory LED'S do not produce enough heat and will get snow covered. The halogens heat up right away and and melt snow quickly. I have to say the LED option have a better light though.
did You run them to the factory aux buttons, by any chance? i figure i may as well use them, since, it will look cleaner, and, they are already there.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
did You run them to the factory aux buttons, by any chance? i figure i may as well use them, since, it will look cleaner, and, they are already there.
Yes. Super easy. Used the Mopar brackets for those lights. Also added a pair of KC 5" spread beam halogens with the KC brackets to the A-pillars.

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 2005 TJ Rubi, 2012 JK Rubi, 2023 JLU Rubi
+1 on installing the halogens if your Jeep is equipped with LED’s. I live in Utah; the LED’s are great most of the time, but are useless in a snow storm.

Since they are dedicated “snow lights,” I will coat my Daylighter lenses with yellow film; I’ll bet the cops leave me alone if I only run them during snowstorms.

Templeton555

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JL Willys Sport 6MT
I installed KC Daylighters (halogen) on Mopar bumper mounts (they actually mount to the frame behind the bumper) on my halogen headlight/led tailight Sport S.

I used one of the 40A aux switch circuits, but reduced the fuse amperage in the power distribution box to better match the amperage draw of the Daylighters. I also installed a weather resistant Inline fuse holder. As I recall, the KC harness is a lighter gauge than the 40A aux circuit, so take that into consideration when you plan your wiring/fusing. Also, I ran a ground wire back to a grounding lug under the hood, rather than use the supplied individual grounds (e.g. to the light mounts), and wrapped everything in split loom for a clean look.

Very happy with the KC Daylighters!
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites Question PXL_20230911_172748226
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites Question PXL_20230911_172759648
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites Question PXL_20230911_172804613
Jeep Wrangler JL KC HiLites Question PXL_20230911_172810110

I just recently did this same install on my JL, except I did the LEDs. A couple things to note:

1. A riv nut tool is super helpful. The supplied bolt with nut and washer is a hopeless way of installing a riv nut. I drilled the holes out in the frame to the specified size of 10mm, which was slightly too big to be able to get the friction needed for this method. However, a riv nut tool solved that issue.

2. You will have to drill the light holes in the Mopar bracket out to 1/2 in to fit the KC lights.

3. They do not seem like they are going to fit until you have it all tightened up. Very close fit.

4. You can simply cut the majority of the wiring harness off so that you are left with only the red and black wires if you are installing with factory aux switches. I did not realize this and wish I would have found a post on here about installing the lights easier.

* disclaimer first time I have installed to an aux switch system rather than straight to the battery.*

SonofaSeabee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Diesel
Since this thread is back up again, I recently added halogen KC Apollo's to my front bumper. I chose the halogen to go with my factory LED headlights. Why? Adds a light difference on the front. I like the LED and halogen difference when illuminated.
Sponsored