KC HiLites Question

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I am getting a Mopar Winch Guard for the stock Rubicon Steel Bumper. I am going to put some KC HiLites 6" Round on it. My question is this, I have the LED lights, so that mean I have to get the LED KC's? The halogens are so much cheaper - but I don't want them to look out of place. I don't do any crazy off road driving - especially not in the dark. These are going to be mostly for looks and obviously used when needed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks -

Advertisement

zrickety

First Name
Ricky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Sarge 6MT
Occupation
Technician
You can put halogens on there...but if you're going to use the stock LED circuit you'll probably want to add a relay that supplies power from the battery. Halogens typically draw more amps.

OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
You can put halogens on there...but if you're going to use the stock LED circuit you'll probably want to add a relay that supplies power from the battery. Halogens typically draw more amps.
Thanks - If I am connecting them to the auxillary switches - that shouldn't be an issue, right?

zrickety

First Name
Ricky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Sarge 6MT
Occupation
Technician
Thanks - If I am connecting them to the auxillary switches - that shouldn't be an issue, right?
I would assume the aux switches are already ready, but I don't have them.

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
@whiterubicon

You choice, either Halogen or LED .... And yes, very easy to wire to an Aux wire. You connect directly to the Aux wire and no need for any relays or even a harness that may come with the KC's.

Just find out what the wattage total of the 2 lamps is.... and then figure out the Amp Draw. Once you know amp draw you can decide how to proceed, Aux wire wise..

I believe the 6" KC rounds are 100 watt each... so, that's 16.667 amps total draw.

With that said you would have to use either Aux 1 or 2 as they are fused at 40 amp and can handle the 16.667 amp draw that the 15 amp fused Aux 3 and 4 can't handle..

IF you use the 40 amp fused, Aux 1 or 2, you would want to have an inline fuse holder with a 20 amp fuse on the power to the KC's, so you had some protection for the KC's.

Now, if you go with LED's you could possibly use Aux 1 or 2 as Led's have far less amp draw. Would need to know amp draw of an LED pair to be sure..

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
I installed KC Daylighters (halogen) on Mopar bumper mounts (they actually mount to the frame behind the bumper) on my halogen headlight/led tailight Sport S.

I used one of the 40A aux switch circuits, but reduced the fuse amperage in the power distribution box to better match the amperage draw of the Daylighters. I also installed a weather resistant Inline fuse holder. As I recall, the KC harness is a lighter gauge than the 40A aux circuit, so take that into consideration when you plan your wiring/fusing. Also, I ran a ground wire back to a grounding lug under the hood, rather than use the supplied individual grounds (e.g. to the light mounts), and wrapped everything in split loom for a clean look.

Very happy with the KC Daylighters!
91D4D55E-B9A6-441D-B2F6-B97E84B6799A.jpeg
2B878865-BDDF-4534-9D30-BCA4FF06FD69.jpeg
860C4025-427B-4C1E-9080-DB7C0DD7C74E.jpeg

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
I am getting a Mopar Winch Guard for the stock Rubicon Steel Bumper. I am going to put some KC HiLites 6" Round on it. My question is this, I have the LED lights, so that mean I have to get the LED KC's? The halogens are so much cheaper - but I don't want them to look out of place. I don't do any crazy off road driving - especially not in the dark. These are going to be mostly for looks and obviously used when needed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks -
You can use either type, but note that the halogens have a much higher amperage draw. The look will be your own personal preference. Another thing to conciser, if you have the LED package with the nice crisp white light, you may want LED off-road lights to keep the color temp similar for yours eyes. The halogen will have a softer white/yellowish light.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I have LED headlights (bulb replacement) with halogen aux lights... I get some dense fog around here and LEDs are pretty harsh/blue/white for visibility in fog. My plan is to cut my headlights and only use the halogen aux lights in heavy fog. The halogens are yellower and aimed down more than my headlights but are up high enough and bright enough to serve as suitable headlight replacements (at least in fog). I haven't had an opportunity to test this out yet though.

It's technically illegal to run w/o headlights in fog or at night and also illegal to run with aux lights on the road; but if properly aimed, these aux lights instead of my headlights should be safer for both me and oncoming drivers. I'd considered changing the aux lights to two motorcycle headlights (similar single-bolt mount as aux lights), but I'm not sure if a cop would agree with my smartass maneuvering around the law... "hey man, those are DOT approved headlights.. they're just mounted to my bumper hoop"... truthfully, this fog only happens out here in the woods, there aint any cops roaming around here in the fog looking to write someone up on equipment violations.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I have factory LED headlights and Fog lights. I put KC halogen fog lights on my Mopar Winch Guard. The reason that I chose halogen fogs is that hear in Ohio we get snow. The factory LED'S do not produce enough heat and will get snow covered. The halogens heat up right away and and melt snow quickly. I have to say the LED option have a better light though.

jakebrake

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
I have factory LED headlights and Fog lights. I put KC halogen fog lights on my Mopar Winch Guard. The reason that I chose halogen fogs is that hear in Ohio we get snow. The factory LED'S do not produce enough heat and will get snow covered. The halogens heat up right away and and melt snow quickly. I have to say the LED option have a better light though.
did You run them to the factory aux buttons, by any chance? i figure i may as well use them, since, it will look cleaner, and, they are already there.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
did You run them to the factory aux buttons, by any chance? i figure i may as well use them, since, it will look cleaner, and, they are already there.
Yes. Super easy. Used the Mopar brackets for those lights. Also added a pair of KC 5" spread beam halogens with the KC brackets to the A-pillars.

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement