First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on something. While installing my winch I noticed some frame welds that were solid rust and unpainted so today I spent the day going through the entire frame finding spots here and there that had no paint or coating on them. I wire brushed them and cleaned them with Prep-All and then painted them with Rustoleum.
It was weird. Like the frame got down the line and had to be spot welded after the paint work was done. There was a lot of porosity in the welds as well as others described too.
Figured it was better if I just addressed it myself. Still love my JL and have no regrets buying it. Just could not ignore seeing those rusted welds
Sponsored

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Thanks for the heads up. Now I will have to go out and check my welds. I didn't notice any during my winch install, but maybe it's simply because I wasn't looking all that closely.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
How atypical is it to see rust on the frame of a new vehicle? I have had various cars on lifts over the years and do not recall seeing anything like this on a new car. Unsettling as a prospective (first time) Jeep owner...

TimP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler sport
There was a big conversation on a JL facebook page - almost everyone that looked said theres was the same way.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I posted a thread about it, got a good amount. Plan on treating mine in summer and repainting over it

Sponsored

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Crap, I just went through that thread on facebook. Guess I have to add wire brush and paint the welds to my first day chores. I can just see it now. The dealer looks under the Jeep in a few years when I'm ready to trade it in, and gives me a crap evaluation because the welds from the factory are rusted worse than they should be for how many miles I have. *rolleyes*

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Crap, I just went through that thread on facebook. Guess I have to add wire brush and paint the welds to my first day chores. I can just see it now. The dealer looks under the Jeep in a few years when I'm ready to trade it in, and gives me a crap evaluation because the welds from the factory are rusted worse than they should be for how many miles I have. *rolleyes*
yup

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
How atypical is it to see rust on the frame of a new vehicle? I have had various cars on lifts over the years and do not recall seeing anything like this on a new car. Unsettling as a prospective (first time) Jeep owner...
Most Wrangler have rust like on JK's the driveshafts are rusted the minute the deliver them. I live in Dallas so I don't usually worry about rust.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I am waiting to hear "its a jeep thing!", part of the new bubble weld Flexi-frame with rust coat option. With Flexi-frame you dont need a lift, now the trail literally bends you over.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I am waiting to hear "its a jeep thing!", part of the new bubble weld Flexi-frame with rust coat option. With Flexi-frame you dont need a lift, now the trail literally bends you over.
It's your own faults for not buying that Trucoat from the dealer! He warned you it would prevent oxidation.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Interesting...I previously inquired whether or not any other new JL owners were going have their new JLs rustproofed. Most comments were that it was unnecessary because they were factory rust-proofed. So if true, where is the factory rustproofing done on the line...before or after the body is welded together?

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
6E0F70F8-B783-43F7-B68A-9B60903122E1.jpeg
Interesting...I previously inquired whether or not any other new JL owners were going have their new JLs rustproofed. Most comments were that it was unnecessary because they were factory rust-proofed. So if true, where is the factory rustproofing done on the line...before or after the body is welded together?
Received my JLUS on Jan 31st and already has rust spots on the front bumper hooks. Has only been 2 months. Wtf? And I had undercarriage rustproofed by Ziebart as well. Dealer said they’ll paint them. Do I have a case to have them fully replaced? To my understanding whether they are painted or not they will just continue to just beneath the paint and get worse.

3AA905CF-ADE7-42E5-956E-67891EFE012B.jpeg
Sponsored