Dual Top Design FLAW

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
After swapping the hard top for the soft top I noticed a design flaw. The little holder for the hard top wire harness and washer fluid line completely obstructs the top from being able to lift up. In fact one of the tabs broke off of mine when I was trying to lift it. Whether mine is broke or not it cannot be there to operate the soft top. It's a hole in my Wrangler that can take on water now. I don't like that.

I suppose Jeep could say that I need to remove it and place it back each time I put the top up or own. Either way, I think someone owes me a new clip.

I'll update with pictures tomorrow.
Sponsored

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Okay, here is the photo of the broken off plug. What do you think I should do? I bought my Wrangler out of state. Is this a Warranty issue? I think there will have to be a recall at some point. The placement of of that just doesn't work with the soft top. Literally impossible to lift the soft top while that is in place.

IMG_20180323_174737.jpg

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
I'm really interested in this. I plan on swapping to my soft top as soon as it gets warm. Keep us posted.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Recently, a forum member posted his JLU did not come from the factory with that holder. It was missing. He was going to contact FCA and complain/request one.

Perhaps, RCA has noted there is an issue like you are having and is no longer sending JLU's with just soft tops out of the factory with the holder. Wonder how many other forum goers got or did not get the holder?

Last edited:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Is this a Warranty issue? I think there will have to be a recall at some point. The placement of of that just doesn't work with the soft top. Literally impossible to lift the soft top while that is in place.
I'd say sure, it is an item that they will replace under warranty. UNLESS, RCA says they have found it is say a no go for that holder and are not wanting it on the vehicle. But again, you can show dealer how it does not play with the soft top and he will undoubtedly get you a new one under warranty if you want it.

Sponsored

jeepfandotcom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepfan.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Grey JLUR 4xe, 2004 TJ, 1978 CJ-5
I just pickup up my JL. It is a dual top model and has the holder.

To note: I didn't get the soft top yet. It was indicated that there is a back order on soft tops and many dual top JL's are being delivered without it. Personally I'd rather have the Jeep and be owed a top then no Jeep. I did make the dealer give me a "We Owe" receipt for the top.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I just pickup up my JL. It is a dual top model and has the holder.

To note: I didn't get the soft top yet. It was indicated that there is a back order on soft tops and many dual top JL's are being delivered without it. Personally I'd rather have the Jeep and be owed a top then no Jeep. I did make the dealer give me a "We Owe" receipt for the top.
dumb.png

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
Okay, here is the photo of the broken off plug. What do you think I should do? I bought my Wrangler out of state. Is this a Warranty issue? I think there will have to be a recall at some point. The placement of of that just doesn't work with the soft top. Literally impossible to lift the soft top while that is in place.

IMG_20180323_174737.jpg
Your clips appear to be intact. That happened to me and I just clipped it back in. I agree, though, that it can catch the top and it isn't an Engineering Design of the Year contender.

Sponsored

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
So y’all think this is the giant hold up?

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
I am finding some of the plastic on my JL a bit flimsy also. I took my rear tail light out to install the MOPAR fuel door and the removed trim ring tabs easily broke and also, the tail light connector tab holder on the taillight also broke and had to zip tie that when I installed the taillight back .

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_20180323_174737.jpg
Curious, did Jeep replace the clip under warranty and/or give you any feedback on the issue? Thx
Sponsored