Sponsored

E-torque is 48v of raw power, how do I use it to power my fridge?

edjonesjeeper

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.0E
There has got to be ways to utilize the e-torque battery for overland energy consumption, has anyone figured it out? We should be able to use the battery as a backup or dual battery setup. Is there any aftermarket support?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
What year is yours? I read they took that out of the 2020. I was also digging around under the passenger seat earlier and didn't see a battery in ours (2020)

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
What year is yours? I read they took that out of the 2020. I was also digging around under the passenger seat earlier and didn't see a battery in ours (2020)
2020s won’t have the etorque battery unless it’s a sahara iirc

They’re also located on the drive side under the jeep.

I’m also not sure of the technicalities of hooking things up like a fridge so i’ll be watching this thread to learn.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
I’m sure it could be done but not sure once you consider all of the costs and benefits if it would be a reliable power supply.

The biggest red flag I see is the relatively small size of the battery. The specs say that it is only a 430 watt hour battery. So if it is only a 430wh battery when completely full you will get about 2 days of continuous use of the average fridge. But after wheeling out to your over landing camp what are the chances that your battery will be at a 100% state of charge? Personally I have a Gladiator so that is a real question for guys with experience.
I would bet that a good ole dual battery setup would be much more effective. Not that I have any bias in the matter.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
2020s won’t have the etorque battery unless it’s a sahara iirc

They’re also located on the drive side under the jeep.

I’m also not sure of the technicalities of hooking things up like a fridge so i’ll be watching this thread to learn.
Our 2020 2.0L Recon has it.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sure it could be done but not sure once you consider all of the costs and benefits if it would be a reliable power supply.

The biggest red flag I see is the relatively small size of the battery. The specs say that it is only a 430 watt hour battery. So if it is only a 430wh battery when completely full you will get about 2 days of continuous use of the average fridge. But after wheeling out to your over landing camp what are the chances that your battery will be at a 100% state of charge? Personally I have a Gladiator so that is a real question for guys with experience.
I would bet that a good ole dual battery setup would be much more effective. Not that I have any bias in the matter.
Where did you get the 430wh information? I've looked at quite a few online Mopar sources and didn't see any specs on it.

Are you sure you're talking about the 48volt battery under the vehicle (rear driver side just in front of the axle) or are you referencing the small battery underneath the main battery on the 3.6 and non eTorque 2.0 engines?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
From looking at the location where my 48volt battery is, the battery pack appears to be as big as a regular 12volt starting battery, if not bigger. But I have not removed the skid plate and measured the actual battery pack yet. Are you thinking of the small battery used for ESS (which underneath the main battery) on 3.6 and non-eTorque 2.0 engines?

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
From looking at the location where my 48volt battery is, the battery pack appears to be as big as a regular 12volt starting battery, if not bigger. But I have not removed the skid plate and measured the actual battery pack yet. Are you thinking of the small battery used for ESS (which underneath the main battery) on 3.6 and non-eTorque 2.0 engines?
Supposedly the 2020 2.0's don't even have that second small battery anymore. There was another thread where someone installed a compressor in the open space.

Might be able to fit a second real battery there, not sure how big that space is.

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
So are these e torque batteries sealed? It seems a battery mounted under the vehicle could cause some electrical issues later, especially in wet or salty climates.

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Supposedly the 2020 2.0's don't even have that second small battery anymore.
Mine is a 2020 2.0 JLR, and still has the second battery.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Mine is a 2020 2.0 JLR, and still has the second battery.
I don't know, I haven't opened mine up yet. Haven't had a reason. I just saw that thread about mounting a compressor in there, which does sound cool but not something I need. Probably over in the 2.0L forum somewhere.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I am using the 48V e-torque battery to power my compressor and fridge.

I am using a 48V to 24V DC-DC convertor, but same could be done 48V to 12V if you already had 12V accessories. I used a DC to DC by Vicor engineering but there are many good ones that are >90% efficiency.

The higher input voltage means more efficiency so I urge you to run at 24V if you can as you will get longer run-times.

The setup works well, and what is nice with this setup is I don't need to worry about discharging the primary battery. Even after a run down test the JL starts fine, tells you start/stop is disabled while the 48V is re-charged, and as this battery charges at a much higher current you get a very fast recovery when the engine is running.

Let me know if you need any help, but this is not a project for someone not comfortable with electrical systems. The 48V battery is lithium and if you screw up you have a fire on your hands that most fire extinguishers can not put out. This is why Tesla's like to burn to the ground.
Sponsored