Sponsored

Ya'll will probably hate me, but here goes...

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
Torque is what you need to get going. Horsepower wins the race.
More torque will tow better, take off better and pull bigger tires better.
If you want to race a Jeep you might need more engine than either option. Lol
Yes the 6 has 20 more hp but the 4 has a lot more torque. So I will say I wasn’t completely right or wrong with that statement. It really depends on what’s important to you as to which you get.
If you really are racing your Jeep, you're doing it wrong.

Unless you are racing up a pile of rocks, through a mud pit, and across a creek...
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Torque is what you need to get going. Horsepower wins the race.
More torque will tow better, take off better and pull bigger tires better.
If you want to race a Jeep you might need more engine than either option. Lol
Yes the 6 has 20 more hp but the 4 has a lot more torque. So I will say I wasn’t completely right or wrong with that statement. It really depends on what’s important to you as to which you get.
In addition to what he said...

Something to remember when looking at the 4 vs the 6 is not just the peak numbers, but WHERE on the curve the peak numbers hit.

peak torque on the 6, like most other naturally aspirated engines, is fairly high in the rev range. (approx 4700 rpm)

peak torque on the 4 hits at 2500 RPM, and stays there until 4600 rpm. if you check out this thread, look at the second picture of the first post. it gives a nice visual representation of the HP & Torque curves for the 3.6 vs 2.0. (have not seen new curves for the updated versions for 2020, but I am confident they will be similar)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-2-0t-hp-tq-curve-comparison-dyno-chart.8742/

The 3.6 does not even equal the 2.0 on torque or HP until 5500 rpm.

that is why I went with the 2.0. (this does not make my decision right or wrong, that was just the deciding point for me, as I like the extra thrust down low)

Hgill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20JLUR
I've been getting a mid-sized pickup every year now since 2012. I've had the Canyon, a couple of Tacoma's and Frontiers, and even snubbed my nose at the girly Honda truck. But now I have the Jeep bug.

I've been snooping around your forum for 2 days now and just signed up because I am more confused now than ever.

I've never owned a Jeep, nor rode in one, and only recently test drove the Gladiator. And I have some questions. My local dealers carry more 4 cylinder Wranglers than 6. Why? I'd have never thought that a 4 cylinder would climb even the smallest hill. I guess they're popular...

My price point is about $40k, and I'm waffling between the Sport S of the Wrangler and the Gladiator. There's a dealer in Charlotte with 18's still on the lot. They want 30k for a retail 35k. It's a Wrangler Unlimited 4x4. Is this worth it, or has it already lost 2 years of value?

I'm used to the roominess of a mid-sized truck, so transitioning to a Jeep is kind of hard, but I just feel compelled to get a Jeep, so I will. I keep reading terms like Unlimited, JK, JL, well, you get it. I just want a good starter Jeep to drive around the farm. It has to tackle hills, terraces, thickets, mud, creeks. I'm guessing any Jeep will do that. Correct?

And as far as the add-ons, I need a spray in bed liner and a class 4 hitch. Would I be better off getting those after-market? And I've noticed that getting a manual is pretty difficult.

The Charlotte area dealerships all want to add on $1,800 in so-called ripoff dealership fees, so I'm going to deal with Galeana Jeep in Columbia SC, whose fee is sub-300.

I'm all over the place as you can see, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, the salesman in Columbia is Jersey Jeff. If any of you know of him, put in a good word for me. He'll be calling me back tomorrow.
Wait for the diesel

Jollygreenjl

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLUR
The reason most wranglers have the four-cylinder engine is simple, the only engine that works currently in the gladiator is the Pentastar v6, they were unable to keep the 4-cylinder cool enough while towing maximum rated loads. This leaves The majority of the v6 allocated for gladiator production whereas the wranglers get the four.
Major exception being, the manual option is only available with the V6.
There was such a shortage of V-6 engines earlier this year that you could not even special order the V-6 in a wrangler and less you were getting a manual trans

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Why a 4 cylinder? Look at the specs, power is power no matter the size of the engine. You act like you don't know what a trim package is though despite having other vehicles. Sport, Sahara Rubicon is the same as Z71, WT, LT, LTZ, TRD. Like ANYTHING else in your life, buy what you can afford, buy what fits your needs. Only you know what you need
Dude bought a Frontier

Sponsored

JP_Quixote

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RAM 1500
Gladiator Sport S with max tow package. Gets you the towing you want plus the upgraded axles of a Rubicon. Seems to hit the sweet spot for value.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
This is certainly a factor, the tow hitch and towing capacity. I'm going to have to do some research on the 4 cylinder, though. I had a 4 cylinder Tacoma a handful of years ago and was big time let down. And Auto is not a dealbreaker, but Manual would be nice.
4cyl Tacoma didn't have a turbo

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've been getting a mid-sized pickup every year now since 2012. I've had the Canyon, a couple of Tacoma's and Frontiers, and even snubbed my nose at the girly Honda truck. But now I have the Jeep bug.

I've been snooping around your forum for 2 days now and just signed up because I am more confused now than ever.

I've never owned a Jeep, nor rode in one, and only recently test drove the Gladiator. And I have some questions. My local dealers carry more 4 cylinder Wranglers than 6. Why? I'd have never thought that a 4 cylinder would climb even the smallest hill. I guess they're popular...

My price point is about $40k, and I'm waffling between the Sport S of the Wrangler and the Gladiator. There's a dealer in Charlotte with 18's still on the lot. They want 30k for a retail 35k. It's a Wrangler Unlimited 4x4. Is this worth it, or has it already lost 2 years of value?

I'm used to the roominess of a mid-sized truck, so transitioning to a Jeep is kind of hard, but I just feel compelled to get a Jeep, so I will. I keep reading terms like Unlimited, JK, JL, well, you get it. I just want a good starter Jeep to drive around the farm. It has to tackle hills, terraces, thickets, mud, creeks. I'm guessing any Jeep will do that. Correct?

And as far as the add-ons, I need a spray in bed liner and a class 4 hitch. Would I be better off getting those after-market? And I've noticed that getting a manual is pretty difficult.

The Charlotte area dealerships all want to add on $1,800 in so-called ripoff dealership fees, so I'm going to deal with Galeana Jeep in Columbia SC, whose fee is sub-300.

I'm all over the place as you can see, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, the salesman in Columbia is Jersey Jeff. If any of you know of him, put in a good word for me. He'll be calling me back tomorrow.
I feel you !!! Been RAM owner for 20+ years. Talking to my friend who sales me my autos waiting for an oil change on my 2017 Ram and looking at this Jeep sitting on the showroom floor. Didn't have Hardtop Breakline where it should be. Found out it was New Sky One Power Top. Never had a Jeep but my wild hair stood up and I drove it off the floor. If you are looking for Bells and Whistles 40,000 is low. 2019 Loaded Sahara was 53,000 the Rubicons 55,000 This is a 2019 Sahara Decked out sitting on the Showroom floor now. It's listed at 58,000

2019 Sahara decked.jpg

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I feel you !!! Been RAM owner for 20+ years. Talking to my friend who sales me my autos waiting for an oil change on my 2017 Ram and looking at this Jeep sitting on the showroom floor. Didn't have Hardtop Breakline where it should be. Found out it was New Sky One Power Top. Never had a Jeep but my wild hair stood up and I drove it off the floor. If you are looking for Bells and Whistles 40,000 is low. 2019 Loaded Sahara was 53,000 the Rubicons 55,000 This is a 2019 Sahara Decked out sitting on the Showroom floor now. It's listed at 58,000

2019-sahara-decked-jpg.jpg
Looks like they forgot to relocate the 3rd brake light. Not many will see that unless flying at low altitudes ;)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like they forgot to relocate the 3rd brake light. Not many will see that unless flying at low altitudes ;)
Yea, I saw that. They would have to put Heavier Tire carrier on it if I took that one. Jeep gives and takes away. :lipssealed::jk:
If anyone wants to look at some Really Decked out Jeeps check out this place in Houston Texas
https://americancustomjeep.com/

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Yea, I saw that. They would have to put Heavier Tire carrier on it if I took that one. Jeep gives and takes away. :lipssealed::jk:
If anyone wants to look at some Really Decked out Jeeps check out this place in Houston Texas
https://americancustomjeep.com/
Dude, a little warning when you post links. I clicked, then threw up in my mouth. All of those douche mobiles should be destroyed with fire.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Seriously a possible new jeep owner ask`s a real Question regarding regarding Jeep models and first he is told, don`t act like you don`t know the difference between models,and that he should know the difference beween a Z71, LTZ,WT,TRD etc.. If he knew the difference he would not be asking the question. Compare a TRD/Z71,WT, to a Jeep seriously? What packages even remotely include the same options?
Then it goes to buy a 2 door not a 4 door, and vice versa. Then to JK`s are junk compared to JL`s. It seems like the only people that are taking his question are the people with a lot of post`s. If you was to bash someone because it`s not your cup of tea, go bash your jeep and not the person for the choice of Jeep he has, or is looking to buy. I almost forgot about the cat`s and dog`s too, that is really helpful when looking to buy a Jeep.
Looking at some of the answers to his questions makes me wonder if the respondents are even old enough to drive.
JMO

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You will never go wrong buying a Gladiator. Resale value on them is, will be the best of anything on the road much like all the Wranglers I've had. My 19 Wrangler Sahara JLU sticker was 55K and I won't lose a dime on it compared to just about everything else on the road. The Gladiator rides a LOT smoother as well using the Dodge Ram rear pickup suspension. Very smooth. I always lease most of the 40 Plus vehicles I've owned and never ever have any issues trading them in especially the Jeeps. These days no real difference anymore with Lease or finance. I don't care what anyone says, it's basically the same accept you don't throw away tons of money you have in your bank to some dealer as a down payment. You're nuts to do that. The 4cyl is a great strong motor. It's not the 70's anymore. Its a high performance Alpha Romeo sports car engine made to work in a Wrangler. I WONT and didn't buy it because it's still too risky for a Wrangler as far as reliability on that motor. I got the 6 auto. Perfect combo. I ordered every single option accept the color match top- I like the black top with the Mojito color. Oh, by the way I had a first year 05 Honda Ridgeline when it first came out and sold it after 157K miles of perfect reliability even towing a trailer regularly. No girly truck- better then the Fords, Chevy's, Toyota's, had them all. Enjoy.
You're making a lot of assumptions about resale of a vehicle that was just released. Just because wrangler hold their value does not mean the gladiator will do the same. As far as the rest of your statements? Lol

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

2019 Sahara decked.jpg
Sure those are sicker prices. Hope nobody who's done a little research is paying anywhere near that.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
4 cylinder jeeps are popular because they perform well, the automatic transmission is popular, CAFE, and jeep pushes them hard. At least the salesmen I dealt with did. I had to repeat numerous times that I wasn’t interested in the 4 cylinder because I was getting a manual transmission.

I wouldn’t pay 30k for a 2018 with an MSRP of 35k. I’d rather order a ‘20 and maybe get a slightly worse deal but have a jeep that hasn’t been sitting around for one to almost two years. Check the price discussions section of this forum for more info on prices and what deals people are getting around the country. I’m out of the loop on that because I’ve had my jeep for half a year now.

As far as the acronyms:
TJ = 1997 to 2006 jeep
JK = 2007 to 2017 jeep (and some 2018 models; just look at it and if it looks boring it’s a JK)
JL = 2018 to present models
JLU = four door jeep (Unlimited)
JLUR = four door Rubicon
JLUS = four door sport, sport S or Sahara (usually sahara)
Any of these jeeps will tackle the situations you described better than the pickups you’ve had, unless they’re the purpose-built off-road versions of those pickups compared to a base Sport with the lame tires.

I would get the tow package from the factory, but yes you’ll need to have any spray-in bedliner done aftermarket (for a wrangler, anyway; can’t speak to the gladiator).

Normally I’d agree with you but I get the sense that a JLR would be too small for the OP. He needs a gladiator or Unlimited.

OP, I definitely agree that manual transmissions are hard to find. Consider ordering a jeep built to your specs. You don’t need all the options checked like jeep and the dealers would prefer; you could probably get a JLUR for under $45k and have a badass machine. I got my JLR (two door Rubicon) for under $40k.

Good luck to begin with. I just traded a 2007 2 door JK for a 4 door JLUS - Sport. I have to disagree about the JK being boring, 12 years took it everywhere was quite capable. If the Gladiator had come out sooner I might have purchased one instead of the JLUS. Glad we upgraded to the 4 doors lots of cargo room, have yet to try out the "off road" abilities but I'm sure it will be fine. It doesn't have a trailer hitch yet but will either buy one online or just get a new bumper and tire carrier.

Once again enjoy the process and good luck with picking out a Jeep.
Sponsored