XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
Thanks for the insight. My dad has a high tide and we were just discussing this very idea. With the long distance move coming in the spring, I’ve put a hold on large mods but might just have to go this route.

also a good call on upgraded shocks, I’ve done the fox’s in the past and what a difference over stock!!!
Teraflex 0.5" spacers front and rear are only $50-something dollars, and a fairly easy install.
Sponsored

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Teraflex 0.5" spacers front and rear are only $50-something dollars, and a fairly easy install.
Went with .75 spacers all the way around and found a smokin deal on some Bilstein’s for lifted applications. Very happy with the ride (I prefer the stiffer bilstein damping). Now I’m looking at 37’s 🤣🤣🤣.

will be moving to the Upper Peninsula next year so a 3peak tire is somewhat mandatory. Have had great luck with Falkens in the past and currently have a set of 35x12.50x20 Mickey Baja boss at on my new duramax but it’s a garage queen and hardly a comparison.
Thoughts??

I know there’s a few new RT styles out.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went with .75 spacers all the way around and found a smokin deal on some Bilstein’s for lifted applications. Very happy with the ride (I prefer the stiffer bilstein damping). Now I’m looking at 37’s 🤣🤣🤣.

will be moving to the Upper Peninsula next year so a 3peak tire is somewhat mandatory. Have had great luck with Falkens in the past and currently have a set of 35x12.50x20 Mickey Baja boss at on my new duramax but it’s a garage queen and hardly a comparison.
Thoughts??

I know there’s a few new RT styles out.
Smart going with 3-peak/snowflake tires. I'm in WA, & like to travel into Canada and Alaska sometimes. Lots of tire choices out there.

I've also got 285/75/16" Micky Thompson Baja Boss AT tires (3-peak/snowflake) on my TJ. Very nice tires, but these things come in an E-rating (and I think only an E-rating). They are heavy. I'd hate to see how heavy a set of 37's would be. They're bulletproof off-road and have a nice aggressive AT tread pattern (which I prefer), but you've gotta really air them down to make a difference. And they're kinda stiff on pavement (I think I'm running them at 28psi on the road).

Would I put a set of MT Baja Boss AT 35" tires (factory size 315-70-17") on my JLU when these BFGs wear out? Maybe... after looking at what else is out there. I wish more tire companies would make a good aggressive AT tread 3-peak/snowflake tire in a D rating (the previous tires on my TJ were Dick Cepek FCII's in a D rating). Seems like there's a big leap between a C rated tire and an E rated tire.

Sponsored

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Mickey Thompson 37’s in and on. Rides great even for taking some balancing weight. Slight trimming of the bumper and zero front rub, rear, well we already know 37’s will rub on the pinch weld cover——I may mess with that further down the road. .75” spacer and longer bilsteins for now.
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread IMG_3589
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread IMG_3586
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread IMG_3587
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread IMG_3585

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Ktmracer21,

Teraflex sells a 2" front/1.5" rear spacer for the JLU.

Jeep JL 4Dr Teraflex 15in Performance Spacer Lift Kit - Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2018-2023 | 1165200|Northridge4x4

That'll bump you up just a little bit more for under $200. And you've already got the shocks.
Yeah, I’m looking into something like that or springs. I have the longer Lca’s coming so I’m good there, I think at that lift I’d have to get adjustable track bars and some longer sway bar links.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I’m looking into something like that or springs. I have the longer Lca’s coming so I’m good there, I think at that lift I’d have to get adjustable track bars and some longer sway bar links.
Maybe, maybe not. You're already lifted 3/4" all around, so adding another 1.25" up front and 3/4" in the rear may not be enough to require those things. You've already got longer sway bar links with the XR package. Might be worth a try and see - you can always go back to your 3/4" spacers.

With your bumper and winch up front, you might not get the full 2" (or the full 3/4" with your current front spacer) compared to your same jeep without the bumper and winch.

Sponsored

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
Maybe, maybe not. You're already lifted 3/4" all around, so adding another 1.25" up front and 3/4" in the rear may not be enough to require those things. You've already got longer sway bar links with the XR package. Might be worth a try and see - you can always go back to your 3/4" spacers.

With your bumper and winch up front, you might not get the full 2" (or the full 3/4" with your current front spacer) compared to your same jeep without the bumper and winch.
Unless they changed in 24 which I doubt the XR only changes springs and shocks as far as suspension goes so your links are not taller. The Mopar 2” lift raises the XR up another 1.5” and comes with the longer front LCAs and longer front and rear links with the springs and shocks. You are setup for bump stop already for 35’s and light wheeling on 37’s. My opinion is the XR takes the stock components to their max. Any taller you will want to adjust the front LCAs and links. I went from stock Rubicon to XR package and ran the Mopar 2” on both of those models and now MC 3.5” on my XR so I have a good feel for all the little changes in height.

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Unless they changed in 24 which I doubt the XR only changes springs and shocks as far as suspension goes so your links are not taller. The Mopar 2” lift raises the XR up another 1.5” and comes with the longer front LCAs and longer front and rear links with the springs and shocks. You are setup for bump stop already for 35’s and light wheeling on 37’s. My opinion is the XR takes the stock components to their max. Any taller you will want to adjust the front LCAs and links. I went from stock Rubicon to XR package and ran the Mopar 2” on both of those models and now MC 3.5” on my XR so I have a good feel for all the little changes in height.
That’s about what I’ve come up with in my research as well. I’ve upgraded to longer and stiffer shocks, as well as the lca’s. Next step at whatever point is adjustable sway bar links/track bars along with longer springs, just doing my research on exactly what I’d want for those.

for now, I’m ok with it’s current form for a bit as it drives well without any bad habits. Most of the wheeling I get into isn’t major rock flexing and is more sand trails/water crossings.

how do you like the MC 3.5”? And what made you choose it?

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
That’s about what I’ve come up with in my research as well. I’ve upgraded to longer and stiffer shocks, as well as the lca’s. Next step at whatever point is adjustable sway bar links/track bars along with longer springs, just doing my research on exactly what I’d want for those.

for now, I’m ok with it’s current form for a bit as it drives well without any bad habits. Most of the wheeling I get into isn’t major rock flexing and is more sand trails/water crossings.

how do you like the MC 3.5”? And what made you choose it?
I’ve been at this for about 7 years first with a JK and now the JL. Reading forums over the course of all that time and gathering info on people’s likes and dislikes. My neighbor and Jeeping friend has the MC 3.5 on his JK and I’ve been impressed so figured it was a safe bet for me based on his experience and what I read on the forums. Sounds like you are doing your homework and thinking through it. Enjoy the process!!

RickyPal

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLU Rubicon XR
Took delivery back Mid august of a '24 JLUR XR factory regeared with 4.88s and have done some runs every weekend! Gold Mountain BOH, and Buck Rock were a lot of fun. Threw some LOD signiture sliders on, have a stubby destroyer bumper on its way. Waiting for rustys to come out with their '24+ skid front skid, and have a Dana-Spicer Nodular front diff cover in the mail. Going to hold it as-is until the 35s die and then slap basic spacers and some 37s on there. When we outgrow that in a few years we'll go MC 3.5 GC lift. This vehicle kicks ass out of the box. Coming from a manual transmission 3rd gen tacoma I had running 5.29s on 35's this thing is a whole different beast. Loving every second of it on the trail!

P.s. the one bad news item is I already took a rock to a windshield with less than 1000 miles! Rats!
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread 1694147916376

Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread 1694147953648

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
They truly are very capable out of the box. I think I’ve found a happy place with it for awhile with longer lca’s, longer bilsteins, 3” springs (wasn’t a huge fan of the spacers) longer sway bar links and a track bar on 37” mickeys. Only thing that sucks is it doesn’t look like there’s any aftermarket computer support yet to dial in tire size etc (Tazer isn’t supported yet).
DSC_0599.jpeg
Sponsored