Xtreme Recon - Build Out

Lane75

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've got a Unlimited Rubicon on the factory 33's but I want to upgrade the various components and build the Xtreme Recon package myself sometime in the future. My Jeep has a manual and the XR package could only be equipped with automatic transmissions so, there's that. Since I also use my Jeep for commuting, I am going to take into consideration the additional cabin noise when driving on 35's. Here's a few questions that could use some opinions:

• How many folks on here are contemplating the same build?
  • How much more noise does the XR make when compared to the non-XR Rubicon's?
  • Has anyone already built out a parts list?
Sponsored

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee
Is that even possible? I thought there were welded on brackets that modified the axles on that package.

ref:

In-Depth Look at the Jeep Wrangler Xtreme Recon Package!
Apr 5, 2022 Susquehanna Automotive

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've got a Unlimited Rubicon on the factory 33's but I want to upgrade the various components and build the Xtreme Recon package myself sometime in the future. My Jeep has a manual and the XR package could only be equipped with automatic transmissions so, there's that. Since I also use my Jeep for commuting, I am going to take into consideration the additional cabin noise when driving on 35's. Here's a few questions that could use some opinions:

Off the top of my head, the general parts list would be something like this:
Cast Axle "C"s
4.56 or 4.88 regear
XR Springs
XR Shocks
XR Sway links
Aftermarket bump extensions to match the built in ones on the XR
Mopar Tailgate Reinf/Relocate
Extended camera mount for the rear camera
315/70R17 BFG KO2
XR Wheels

EDIT, Missed a couple:
Aftermarket rear track bar bracket to match the built in one on the XR
Fender extensions
Taillight extensions

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Off the top of my head, the general parts list would be something like this:
Cast Axle "C"s
4.56 or 4.88 regear
XR Springs
XR Shocks
XR Sway links
Aftermarket bump extensions to match the built in ones on the XR
Mopar Tailgate Reinf/Relocate
Extended camera mount for the rear camera
315/70R17 BFG KO2
XR Wheels

EDIT, Missed a couple:
Aftermarket rear track bar bracket to match the built in one on the XR
Fender extensions
Taillight extensions
Different rotors and brake pads as well unless I’m missing the mark.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lane75

Lane75

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is that even possible? I thought there were welded on brackets that modified the axles on that package.

ref:

In-Depth Look at the Jeep Wrangler Xtreme Recon Package!
Apr 5, 2022 Susquehanna Automotive
I've watched this video for a second time and it looks like I missed that part. Bummer! I suppose a lift, wheels, and brake kit would get me about half way there haha.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Different rotors and brake pads as well unless I’m missing the mark.
I think the front axle is the Mojave axle, isn't it? Dana 44HD or something like that.... I may be wrong on the nomenclature...

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do a Clayton 1.5" Lift with their control arms and trackbars. Dial in a perfect caster.
FOX Shocks - 2-3" version with plenty of travel both ways.
Get a good 17x8.5 wheel with around +10 to +25 offset and go for a light C-Rated 35s like K02 or Open Country AT3. - you get yourself a more capable XR!

You can always get some fluff parts like the fender extension from mopar catalog.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Lot of goodies in the XR package. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you’re looking for Lift/tire/wheel and maybe gearing, as opposed to EVERYTHING in the XR (axles, brakes, etc)

If you’re asking about a simple build with a minor lift and 35s that gets you a similar looking package I had good luck on my last rig with the dynatrac enduro sport 2” lift and I like the XR Mopar beadlocks well enough. The dynatrac lift drives as well as factory. My XR was very quiet from the factory with the 35” BFGs but I had just come from a soft top with MTs so it was apples to oranges.

The gearing is a big upgrade but cost $$ if you have the money it’s a nice to have especially with the manual

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
For the cost of buiding it like an XR, why not just get a 2 1/2" lift, re-gear, custom wheels, and 37" tires?

HJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I had a 2019 JLUR that had a mopar 2" lift and 35s and the Rubicon gearing. I now have a High Tide with the XR package.

1) Road noise wasn't a problem either way.

2) My Rubicon was 3 years old with the OG gearing and the (automatic) transmission was already clunking into gear like my grandpa plopping onto the couch in the evening.

3) The Rubicon had a 2" mopar lift and Fuel wheels almost identical to factory offset and it still needed some adjustments to make the ride and steering tolerable .....among other things, I put a reservoir steering stabilizer on it and it was fairly decent BUT.......my new jeep with XR rides as smooth as my ex husband's pick up lines right out of the dealer lot.
4) The money I spent on that build makes the XR package look like the bargain of a lifetime.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

I also have a JLUR 6mt ordered with 4.88's added 35's (Trxus MT) and xr flares, +12mm Mopar Performance rims, haven't done any offroad, but fit fine and no issues, I did add the longer LCA'S and that helped with tracking.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon - Build Out 20220313_190849

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored