Wrangler died while driving!

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
Last night while driving around 40mph my Wrangler had a complete shut down. Everything went black inside, the breaks stopped working and I had to coast into a gas station using the emergency break to stop. Needless to say it was disconcerting and thankfully I was not going 70 on the highway. My vehicle only has 8000 miles on it... I opened the hood and there was a high pitched sound coming from the engine. I checked the fuse box (many of the fuses were very loose) but no luck getting it restarted. Tow truck showed up 1.5 hours later and off to the dealership it went.

I'm curious if any fellow Jeep owners have had a similar experience? I guessing that the dealer won't get to mine until next week.

IMG_0367.JPG
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
What engine? Model year? Transmission? Any warning lights? Codes? High pitch sound and the engine was dead?

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
2019, 2.0 Turbo, automatic transmission. No warning lights, oil was recently changed. Engine was not running but there was a distinct hight pitched "whine" coming from the engine compartment.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear man. This is unsettling to hear. Glad you are safe.

Please keep us posted what the dealer finds.

Good luck.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I think the whine is normal when the ignition is on, but motor not running. I've heard it when working on my Jeep and had to turn the ignition on without starting.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I wonder if a ground is loose. I would have attempted to disconnect and reconnect the battery after pushing all the fuses in.

Sorry to hear you had these difficulties.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I know I'll get flamed for this...but I would NEVER trust putting my family in that vehicle again and would (along with my attorney) be DEMANDING a new vehicle with no additional cost to me.

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
I know I'll get flamed for this...but I would NEVER trust putting my family in that vehicle again and would (along with my attorney) be DEMANDING a new vehicle with no additional cost to me.
Yeah... I had that same thought. The idea of another total shutdown on the highway or off-road (outside of cell reception) gives me great concern. This could have been a very dangerous situation. Thankfully I was going downhill and gravity + quick thinking got me to a safe spot. I'll wait to hear what failed before I escalate the situation.

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Fair enough. Donā€™t ever buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston MartĆ­n, or a McClaren. They do stuff like you experienced as well. Go ahead and add Mercedes Benz, I had one of those just turn off as well, loose connector under the dash.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Never going to happen on a first fault like this. You will just be out of pocket for your attorney fees.

On a second+ occurrence you may get some traction.

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yeah... I had that same thought. The idea of another total shutdown on the highway or off-road (outside of cell reception) gives me great concern. This could have been a very dangerous situation. Thankfully I was going downhill and gravity + quick thinking got me to a safe spot. I'll wait to hear what failed before I escalate the situation.
I know thatā€™s the natural first reaction but I think you should wait and see what the diagnosis is before making any demands/decisions.

To be honest...Iā€™m not sure how well demanding anything will go over...especially since the dealer isnā€™t the one that would have to make that call on their own.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Fair enough. Donā€™t ever buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston MartĆ­n, or a McClaren. They do stuff like you experienced as well. Go ahead and add Mercedes Benz, I had one of those just turn off as well, loose connector under the dash.
I had a MB burn my ass when the seat heater shorted out. Burnt right through the leather seat, my jeans, and my bacon was sizzling.

Common problem when a seat heater shorts in certain models where they are not fused properly.

I got a brand on my ass for life :angry:

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had a MB burn my ass when the seat heater shorted out. Burnt right through the leather seat, my jeans, and my bacon was sizzling.

Common problem when a seat heater shorts in certain models where they are not fused properly.

I got a brand on my ass for life :angry:
I know someone else that happened to, sucks you got burned.
Sponsored