"Wonky" things...

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I don't think these things are normal and I was thinking of posting them in the "Little things you discovered on your JL" or the "Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler" but I don't know if these are actual things or if I should be concerned.

Has anyone noticed ESS does not work when the top and doors are off? or maybe it's a combination of those two? I took mine off today and the ESS has not activated all day, I tried toggling it but still no joy. I'm keeping the top and doors off until Friday... thank you Virginia. I'll try more testing then.

Also turning off the parking sensor. I turn it off, back up and it doesn't alarm (yay) but the center dash area notifies me it is disabled (understandable), when I press a direction on the steering wheel d bad the notification goes away (yay I can see my good mpgs) but then it forgets that it is turned off even though the button is highlighted and it beeps (booo).

Has anyone encountered weird things?
Sponsored

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
About a quarter of the time, my backup camera screen is solid green. If I turn the car off and restart, it works again.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
About a quarter of the time, my backup camera screen is solid green. If I turn the car off and restart, it works again.
Have seen this, there is issues with wiring connectors not being seated properly. Usually in the tailgate.

OP
OP
schneidvegas

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
The only cam issues I've noticed so far was the uconnect was solid black until I put it in reverse once.

I also found out today that using the uconnect backup cam appears to last a certain distance? That's sad, I thought it was going to stay on until I hit something else :\

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I don't think these things are normal and I was thinking of posting them in the "Little things you discovered on your JL" or the "Top things you DON'T like about the New JL Wrangler" but I don't know if these are actual things or if I should be concerned.

Has anyone noticed ESS does not work when the top and doors are off? or maybe it's a combination of those two? I took mine off today and the ESS has not activated all day, I tried toggling it but still no joy. I'm keeping the top and doors off until Friday... thank you Virginia. I'll try more testing then.

Also turning off the parking sensor. I turn it off, back up and it doesn't alarm (yay) but the center dash area notifies me it is disabled (understandable), when I press a direction on the steering wheel d bad the notification goes away (yay I can see my good mpgs) but then it forgets that it is turned off even though the button is highlighted and it beeps (booo).

Has anyone encountered weird things?
The ESS is designed to not activate at times...Like when the cabin temps are either too low or too hot compared to what temperature you have dialed in on the climate control system. My guess is when you had the doors and top off, the AC was cranked and couldn't cool the cabin down to the desired temp. In that case the ESS is not going to activate. It also won't activate if the car isn't warmed up yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
schneidvegas

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
The ESS is designed to not activate at times...Like when the cabin temps are either too low or too hot compared to what temperature you have dialed in on the climate control system. My guess is when you had the doors and top off, the AC was cranked and couldn't cool the cabin down to the desired temp. In that case the ESS is not going to activate. It also won't activate if the car isn't warmed up yet.
Climate was set to Off, I verified that when troubleshooting. Any other possibilities you can think of?

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
It's the only vehicle I have ever had that mandates I hit the brake and button on the the shifter to move back to D from N in the car wash that pulls you through. If I don't time it right I put a little tire mark on those rollers I'd imagine as it lets out a chirp.

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Climate was set to Off, I verified that when troubleshooting. Any other possibilities you can think of?
From the manual...This should answer your question. Apparently when the drivers door is open it will not activate:

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop
Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many
safety and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled.
Detailed information about the operation of the Stop/Start
system may be viewed in the instrument cluster display
Stop/Start Screen. In the following situations, the engine
will not stop:
• Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
• Driver’s door is not closed.
• Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
• Battery charge is low.
• The vehicle is on a steep grade.
• Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable
cabin temperature has not been achieved.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
• HVAC set to MAX A/C.
• Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
• Engine temperature too high.
• The transmission is not in a forward gear.
• Hood is open.
• Transfer case is in 4LO or Neutral
• Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
• Accelerator pedal input.
• Vehicle speed threshold not achieved from previous
auto-stop.
• Steering angle beyond threshold. (ESS Models Only)
• ACC is on and speed is set.
• Vehicle is at high altitude
• System fault present

OP
OP
schneidvegas

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
From the manual...This should answer your question. Apparently when the drivers door is open it will not activate:

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop
Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many
safety and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled.
Detailed information about the operation of the Stop/Start
system may be viewed in the instrument cluster display
Stop/Start Screen. In the following situations, the engine
will not stop:
• Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
• Driver’s door is not closed.
• Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
• Battery charge is low.
• The vehicle is on a steep grade.
• Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable
cabin temperature has not been achieved.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
• HVAC set to MAX A/C.
• Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
• Engine temperature too high.
• The transmission is not in a forward gear.
• Hood is open.
• Transfer case is in 4LO or Neutral
• Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
• Accelerator pedal input.
• Vehicle speed threshold not achieved from previous
auto-stop.
• Steering angle beyond threshold. (ESS Models Only)
• ACC is on and speed is set.
• Vehicle is at high altitude
• System fault present
That's why you get paid the big bucks.

It's the only vehicle I have ever had that mandates I hit the brake and button on the the shifter to move back to D from N in the car wash that pulls you through. If I don't time it right I put a little tire mark on those rollers I'd imagine as it lets out a chirp.
Interesting, I'll have to try this out! Today I went to the 4WP store and the entrance is at such an angle that I bounced and hit the shifter into N and them quickly back to D. Maybe when being stopped and using N it responds differently?

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep no problem doing that....just does it in the car wash :whatsgoingon:

If you have ever reversed with the door open (it doesn't let you if you haven't tried) it's the same result. Not sure why the rolling in neutral 100ft kicks it in, but it does it fairly early on in the wash. Displays a message that says "Press brake to shift into Drive/Gear". Just a quirk I guess.

Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Gonna blow some theories out of the water here. I’m in SE NC, on the coast. Have had the doors off the Jeep since last Thursday, top down most of that time, too. ESS still works on mine. I have the 6 speed.

(When you take the doors off, all the electric sensors are disconnected, which is why the dome lights don’t stay on, the door open (ajar) chime/ message doesn’t work and blind spot detection doesn’t work.)

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Gonna blow some theories out of the water here. I’m in SE NC, on the coast. Have had the doors off the Jeep since last Thursday, top down most of that time, too. ESS still works on mine. I have the 6 speed.

(When you take the doors off, all the electric sensors are disconnected, which is why the dome lights don’t stay on, the door open (ajar) chime/ message doesn’t work and blind spot detection doesn’t work.)
I had not thought about blind spot monitoring with doors off. Now I understand why there is an option to have the blind spot monitor BEEP. If you remove the doors and you are not one to turn your head you may want to turn on this option so that you get the beep sound where as the mirrors with the light are removed.

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My ESS also works with top off. As I have driven it more and more, it has become VERY dependent on my peddle application and there is a defined notch/area deep in the brake where I can feel it engage. I pretty much have to intentionally cut it off with the brake now and actually like the feature 98% of the time, 2% is when I pull into the garage and give just a little too much brake. My neighbors probably think I'm special for stopping then immediately cranking my car before I put it in park hehe.

OP
OP
schneidvegas

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I did mention this thread in my first post. This isn’t meant to be a second thread of things people don’t like, this is meant to be things that seem to be working incorrectly.

My ESS also works with top off. As I have driven it more and more, it has become VERY dependent on my peddle application and there is a defined notch/area deep in the brake where I can feel it engage. I pretty much have to intentionally cut it off with the brake now and actually like the feature 98% of the time, 2% is when I pull into the garage and give just a little too much brake. My neighbors probably think I'm special for stopping then immediately cranking my car before I put it in park hehe.
I drove to work today with the top down and doors off, little chilly BUT... my ESS worked today. I don’t know why yesterday it was... wonky.
Sponsored