Sponsored

Window Auto up modification

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
Well ordered another 535 and it is doing the same thing. I have the big blue and small brown hooked to the green/orange down with off the switch. Brown to switch side, blue to motor side. Still will not let the window roll down on driver side. Work fine on passenger side. If I swap driver and passenger wiring, the driver will work but passenger will not. It is wired per the post. 18 JLUR. Any suggestions?
Are you sure you have all the ground wires grounded securely? Also on 535T drivers down is Green (motor side) & White (switch side). You really dont need this wire however since the JLU has auto down anyways... Almost seems like you wires are crossed. From 535T Driver Up should be Brown (switch side) & Blue (motor side). JLU wire is OG/GN I believe.
Sponsored

ErrolSmith

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I cannot give an accurate release date yet, but best guess is late this year. We are first working on another Wrangler JL specific product we actually expect to release first. but it is super secret at the moment. ;)
Can you tell us what that super secret thing you were working on is yet, and more importantly...any update on the auto-up unit for the windows?
And does it extend to all 4 windows??
On a hot day I want to be able to wind all 4 windows down at the push of a (4!) button...and then back up once I'm moving and the air-con is going.

#firstworldproblems

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
I cannot give an accurate release date yet, but best guess is late this year. We are first working on another Wrangler JL specific product we actually expect to release first. but it is super secret at the moment. ;)
Any news on this?

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Unfortunately since I wrote that in 2019, my wife passed away and I stopped development for quite a while, Covid hit and then the semiconductor shortage has made most automotive grade chips nearly unobtainable.

I am still stocking and shipping SmartStopStart, but I am way behind on many new product developments and this is no exception.

TJtoJLU Krawler

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
I know this thread hasn't had action in almost a year but I wanted to give an update on what I ended up doing for my windows. I first followed this thread and bought a directed electronics 535, installed it and was happy with it. Then here on the forums, a 3W liners module came up for sale for less than what I bought my directed electronics for, so I messaged the guy and bought it. It took me about the same amount of time to install this module as the DE. However, I like the 3W better, instead of just the front windows having auto up, the fronts have auto up, the rears have auto down and up, and the key fob can close and open the windows. The 3W was mostly plug and play, the hardest part was wiring the power to the battery but that is because I have a manual and don't have the firewall plug the auto's do. I'm surprised the 3W wasn't discussed more on the JL forums for auto windows, it's all over the JT forums. As others have stated there's no pinch protection, but be observant and it's easy to stop.
https://www.3wliners.com/product/je...ll-four-doors2018-2021-window-control-module/
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/finally-automatic-up-down-all-windows.40708/
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...dow-control-module-install.40950/#post-661648

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I installed the same over a year ago. Really nice to hit the lock and all windows go up. Then hit unlock-lock-unlock to roll them all down. No issues.

reedred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willy's
Thanks for this thread! I realize that getting annoyed at having to hold a button for 3 seconds is a very suburban problem to have, but it was a very real one for me. I opted for the 3WLiners piece and some friends installed it for me today.

They said it was a very easy install, and were impressed that it didn't require any programming. I'm super happy and would highly recommend!

Now I'm free to get back to other pressing issues, including catching up on hand-written correspondence and yelling at birds.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have mine and getting ready to install just as soon as I finish the speaker and amps upgrade.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Rather than a NEW thread when multiples of the same topic already exist.......
My wife has a physical handicap - born with it. Limited use of shorter than typical right arm.
So Wranglers and Gladiators are a pain in the but as far as the inconvenient window switch location - so far forward and in the middle almost out of reach even for me when strapped in with my seat back where I drive.
She can lean forward hard and touch a windows switch and hold just long enough for it to go down, but she can't hook the bottom of the switch and hold it while it goes all the way up.
So she asked if I knew of a way to make them auto-up like her many Grand Cherokees have had.
Yes , it can be done - but - I see some things I've got questions about.
I don't give a rip about FOB function. (Besides, I question how, if my doors are locked why would I press unlock, lock, unlock to roll the windows up and then have the thing sit there unlocked and have to remember to press the button to lock them again. )
We'll do as always, roll windows up or leave them where we want maybe 1" down, then exit the vehicle and lock it.
So we can totally skip the FOB chords that neither of us will remember anyway.

That being said, since we have zero interest in any FOB functions and only want the one-touch window up functions, can these 3W devices be connected plug and play and not tap into or cut and solder and seal new factory wiring"?

We also don't want 1 button to do all windows - that will likely end up biting us in the butt some day- we just want the window button we are touching to respond - no other windows.
Is that possible?

In short - can this be installed as a simple, one-touch window up device only? No other functions or features?

So far I've installed every electrical accessory, including snow plow, in my JT and didn't snip or tap a single wire. All done using pigtails and proper connectors. I want to keep it that way on her new Wrangler.
So if to just make the 3W device work in the simplest terms, if one must tap into the door harness wires, I'll be buying some connectors and making pigtails. (also easier to disconnect in case of malfunction or dealer griping the wiring was modified)

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I don't give a rip about FOB function. (Besides, I question how, if my doors are locked why would I press unlock, lock, unlock to roll the windows up and then have the thing sit there unlocked and have to remember to press the button to lock them again. )
We'll do as always, roll windows up or leave them where we want maybe 1" down, then exit the vehicle and lock it.
So we can totally skip the FOB chords that neither of us will remember anyway.

That being said, since we have zero interest in any FOB functions and only want the one-touch window up functions, can these 3W devices be connected plug and play and not tap into or cut and solder and seal new factory wiring"?

We also don't want 1 button to do all windows - that will likely end up biting us in the butt some day- we just want the window button we are touching to respond - no other windows.
Is that possible?

In short - can this be installed as a simple, one-touch window up device only? No other functions or features?

So if to just make the 3W device work in the simplest terms, if one must tap into the door harness wires, I'll be buying some connectors and making pigtails. (also easier to disconnect in case of malfunction or dealer griping the wiring was modified)
Its plug and play except for 3 wires. The two that go to the door harness, only needed for FOB operation; and the 3rd is the power wire, it really does need a 25amp circuit, no patching to existing wires, go to battery. (A power surge is how it knows windows are at full stop or full open)

Unless they changed it, there is no option for 1 switch to control all 4 windows.

Oh and its not "unlock-lock-unlock" to roll up the windows, its to roll-DOWN the windows.

Also if you skip the wires to the door, I don't think it will auto roll up the windows when you lock the vehicle. Which for you sounds like what you want. There is no leaving the windows 95% closed with the door wires in place.

Its been a great device, I will have to review instructions if you have any further questions. Going off memory here.

Sponsored

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its plug and play except for 3 wires. The two that go to the door harness, only needed for FOB operation; and the 3rd is the power wire, it really does need a 25amp circuit, no patching to existing wires, go to battery. (A power surge is how it knows windows are at full stop or full open)

Unless they changed it, there is no option for 1 switch to control all 4 windows.

Oh and its not "unlock-lock-unlock" to roll up the windows, its to roll-DOWN the windows.

Also if you skip the wires to the door, I don't think it will auto roll up the windows when you lock the vehicle. Which for you sounds like what you want. There is no leaving the windows 95% closed with the door wires in place.

Its been a great device, I will have to review instructions if you have any further questions. Going off memory here.
I read either here or the JT forum that you could somehow use one switch to roll all windows up..... could have misinterpreted something, I suppose.
The single power wire is no issue. In my JT I could use N8 or perhaps N4 for power. For my wife's Wrangler, I'll have to explore since it's the 4xe and won't have the same PDC or high-current fuse array. It does have aux switches but those cabin wires are only 10 amp.

Thanks for the responses/answers.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I read either here or the JT forum that you could somehow use one switch to roll all windows up..... could have misinterpreted something, I suppose.
The single power wire is no issue. In my JT I could use N8 or perhaps N4 for power. For my wife's Wrangler, I'll have to explore since it's the 4xe and won't have the same PDC or high-current fuse array. It does have aux switches but those cabin wires are only 10 amp.

Thanks for the responses/answers.
I looked at the listing on Amazon. Does look like holding 1 switch now can control all 4 windows. I can't find the instructions anywhere on Amazon or 3W site. Trying to remember what that "fold flat" harness is for. I don't know if I have that. Its been a while, 3+ years and still working great though.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked at the listing on Amazon. Does look like holding 1 switch now can control all 4 windows. I can't find the instructions anywhere on Amazon or 3W site. Trying to remember what that "fold flat" harness is for. I don't know if I have that. Its been a while, 3+ years and still working great though.
That's where I saw that! Thanks.

charlie00tj

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I know this thread hasn't had action in almost a year but I wanted to give an update on what I ended up doing for my windows. I first followed this thread and bought a directed electronics 535, installed it and was happy with it. Then here on the forums, a 3W liners module came up for sale for less than what I bought my directed electronics for, so I messaged the guy and bought it. It took me about the same amount of time to install this module as the DE. However, I like the 3W better, instead of just the front windows having auto up, the fronts have auto up, the rears have auto down and up, and the key fob can close and open the windows. The 3W was mostly plug and play, the hardest part was wiring the power to the battery but that is because I have a manual and don't have the firewall plug the auto's do. I'm surprised the 3W wasn't discussed more on the JL forums for auto windows, it's all over the JT forums. As others have stated there's no pinch protection, but be observant and it's easy to stop.
https://www.3wliners.com/product/je...ll-four-doors2018-2021-window-control-module/
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/finally-automatic-up-down-all-windows.40708/
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...dow-control-module-install.40950/#post-661648
Just ordered mine. Here's a link to save 10% for anyone else looking to use the 3WLiners. Wish I had that when I ordered. lol
https://loox.io/z/5zLyEXDIF

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
For those that have the factory Aux switches, there's no reason to wire it directly to the battery. Look under the glove compartment. There's an interior harness for the AUX switches that's tucked away. Just connect it to the harness's red wire, which is always live.
Sponsored