Sponsored

Why Not A Rubicon?

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
So there are a few big difference. 1 axles. The lesser models with the limited slip get the same rear axle just not as wide (which I believe makes it slightly stronger?). The down side is the m186 front axle. However the Willys version comes with the m210 d44 in the front. So that one has the same axles as the Rubicon front and rear (again not as wide but it's that really a bad thing?). Bigger axles makes it safer to go bigger with tires out of the box.

After axles there is the lockers. Rubicon comes stock with e lockers front and rear. That the huge ability differentiater. So if you got the Willys you would have to add arb air lockers and a compressor, so we are taking maybe 3500 for all of that installed by a pro? However some argue that arb locker are better than elockers... So if one did that they could have better locking diffs right away. (I guess you could regear too so maybe closer to 5000)

Lastly the Rubicons come with a suspension that has it sitting up higher. I don't think this is a huge selling point as almost everyone rips out the stock suspension in place of aftermarket stuff. Rubicon take off suspension therefore is cheap. One could by that for what? 200 bucks? Or just get a good aftermarket suspension.

If you have to replace an axle though it's better to get a Rubicon if you really want the added capability off-road imo. It's really about the lockers imo. Elockers from the factory vs. aftermarket. Also the hassle of having to get it done vs having it stock and warrantied. If you are going to get a Rubicon and rip out the axles and suspension it's not worth it. If you leave the axles and lockers stock it's probably worth it.

Just my opinion ofcourse.
Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
The gas-engine Willys does not get the M210/D44 front axle. It has the same M186/D30 as the other non-Rubicon trims.
Ah i stand corrected then, not sure why i thought it had the M210. If they ever come out with a non rubi non sahara version with an M210 up front, that would be a really good option over a Rubicon if you perfer ARB lockers.

But yea once you have to start swapping axles... it just makes more sense to get a rubicon.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I’m reading these posts and the thought of having to do all this aftermarket work just to be on par with a stock Rubi makes me cringe. This is exactly why I purchased one.. it has everything I could possibly ever need/ want and I would venture to say that’s the case for the vast majority of folks.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
MY 2013 JKU was a Sahara which looking back was a big mistake...I paid too much for a basic model that I customized.

This time around I bought a Rubicon that really only had two options: Alpine Stereo and LED light package and paid $47k.

After the fact, I wish I would have skipped the Alpine system since I did an aftermarket system. I thought I needed it for the 8.4" screen, but the new 10" aftermarket from Stinger/PAC would have been much nicer and more capable. The LED lights are nice. I also wish I would have done the One-touch Top - its expensive but in transition months between winter and summer it would have been awesome. It seems like Jeep has thought of almost everything so this time I didn't have to waste a bunch of money on accessories, lifts etc. Also, the high-line front fenders and factory lift that comes standard just look better than a Sport or Sahara and easily fit 35s without modification.

New Wheels and 35" tires - just under $1000 after selling my take-offs
Katskin leather seats - $500 after selling my cloth seats - installed myself
After Market Stereo - ~$1500 but did all the fabrication myself
Bumpers and Running Boards - $400 after selling my rock rails and plastic bumpers
Some grab handles and other small stuff ~$200
Rear Cargo Cover - ~$100 in fiberglass materials plus $200 for Line-X
CMM Side mirrors - $300 on back order

Jeep Wrangler JL Why Not A Rubicon? Side View Jee

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Team - really appreciate the candid viewpoints (and that the thread did not derail). Lots of good information shared here and not that I needed validation for my choice, it was good to understand that for the most part, anything that I would choose to upgrade on the Rubicon, I would do so as well on a different model.

The largest tire that I would have ever considered is a 35", but truth be told, the 33" are working just fine with the things I do (beaches, off road in the mountains, etc.) so I will see how that goes in the future. I had always planned to replace the OEM draglink, trackbars, and tie-rod ends with Metalcloak and would have done that regardless of the model. For me, I am in a good place with my choice because it has all of the options that I wanted and after a few add-ons and upgrades, it will be my "perfect" Jeep.

Thanks again all for taking the time to answer!

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
One thing about a Rubicon is you can stay stock and do pretty much anything most sane people would ever want to do.
Staying stock means it's easier getting replacement parts when things break down on a road trip. It's easier to find a mechanic to work on it because they're used to seeing stock parts.
Just for a stupid example I have aftermarket headlights which means if a bulb goes out, I might need to contact the manufacturer instead of maybe just stopping by an Autozone for an OEM replacement.
But it's also less "fun" buying and installing stuff. Ha.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
There is absolutely no need to justify any Jeep. The Rubicon cost what it costs because of the features it comes with. The sport cost what it costs for the same reasons. In both cases you get what you pay for, theres no trick here. It all comes down to how much money you wanna spend and what trim you think you need.

Then just enjoy your Jeep. Youll get compliments regardless of which trim you drive and youll have fun with either as well.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
these both point out the one upgrade I can’t easily do on my Sport-the Rubicon transfer case. It’s something I’d like to add eventually but not urgent or important enough for now.

Not knowing how much I would LOVE off roading, I bought a 2018 JLU Sport S with all the upgrades I wanted for a fabulous deal 1 year ago today. The best deal on a Rubicon at the time was $15-17k more!
ive added lift, 35” tires, custom vinyl wrap, bumpers, fenders, winch, trussed Front axle (lsd got the D44 rear), misc. parts like lights, spare tire bracket and license plate relo etc, sway bar quick disconnects, regeared to 4.88, and arb air lockers. All for less than that $15k price difference to the stock rubicon.
I go off roading every weekend more or less and often a few times during the week during this long lockdown too. It’s been a sanity saver!

Yes, you can sell your Rubi (or even Sport takeoffs-tires and wheels) takeoffs fo some savings on the new upgrades, but still not near what the new parts cost.
Most Rubis I know added lift, tires, quick discos, and several regeared.
My modded Sport is as capable off road as my friends modified Rubi, but mine was $20k less At the end of the day. Except for the 4:1 transfer case - it eludes me, but eventually if/when I go to 37’s I’ll look harder to try and add one. :)
It's actually a plug and play swap, but you need a Tazer or Flashcal to tell the computer your new TC ratio. Just make sure the TC you get matches the transmission you have, there is a difference between the Auto and Manual.

Nomoracin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I’m amazed at the amount of people who buy a Rubicon because they think it is the top trim, but they have no idea what they are buying.
This was me...I mostly bought the Rubicon because it's the top trim. I also got an amazing deal on it (11.5k off msrp) which I couldn't pass up.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
What matters most is if it makes you happy with your decision.

What I will add, is that when making that decision there are some things to consider. How much Jeep do you really need? Is it a daily driver, or a weekend toy? How often will you take it off road? How much are you willing to do off road? Do you like to modify vehicles a lot? Do you prefer to do mechanical or visual mods?

Answering those questions honestly can help to determine if the Rubicon is worth the added expense to you. But the first statement still holds the most importance. You might only be buying it because you can, but if it makes you happy, does anything else matter?

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
So there are a few big difference. 1 axles. The lesser models with the limited slip get the same rear axle just not as wide (which I believe makes it slightly stronger?). The down side is the m186 front axle. However the Willys version comes with the m210 d44 in the front. So that one has the same axles as the Rubicon front and rear (again not as wide but it's that really a bad thing?). Bigger axles makes it safer to go bigger with tires out of the box.

After axles there is the lockers. Rubicon comes stock with e lockers front and rear. That the huge ability differentiater. So if you got the Willys you would have to add arb air lockers and a compressor, so we are taking maybe 3500 for all of that installed by a pro? However some argue that arb locker are better than elockers... So if one did that they could have better locking diffs right away. (I guess you could regear too so maybe closer to 5000)

Lastly the Rubicons come with a suspension that has it sitting up higher. I don't think this is a huge selling point as almost everyone rips out the stock suspension in place of aftermarket stuff. Rubicon take off suspension therefore is cheap. One could by that for what? 200 bucks? Or just get a good aftermarket suspension.

If you have to replace an axle though it's better to get a Rubicon if you really want the added capability off-road imo. It's really about the lockers imo. Elockers from the factory vs. aftermarket. Also the hassle of having to get it done vs having it stock and warrantied. If you are going to get a Rubicon and rip out the axles and suspension it's not worth it. If you leave the axles and lockers stock it's probably worth it.

Just my opinion ofcourse.

My 2020 Willys came with M186 Dana 30 on front and M220 Dana 44 short anti-spin on rear.
I went with the Willys for the brakes and return on wheels/tires/suspension take offs. It's going to need axles. I knew this going in.

The Jeep Jamboree wont even allow me in my current configuration on the Rubicon trail trip.
(front and rear lockers are mandatory)

Rubicon trim would have been about $10,000 more.
Prorocks, ARB compressor/lockers and transfer case about $15,000

I knew this before I decided to get what I did.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
You buy a Rubicon if you plan to use, or think you'll use the upgrades it comes with.
You buy a sport because you know you won't use those things. (OR) You buy a sport and do some mods (lift/tires/bumpers/etc) because the sport fit your budget, you knew you wouldn't need ALL the extras you get in the Rubicon, and you had a goal for how your Jeep would look like with your budget.
Lets be real. How many Wrangler owners really EVER off-road? And how many ever really off-road seriously enough to use lockers or feel the difference in the transfer case gearing?