Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wow thats tough Adam!! Sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing though, I know that MOPAR stuff are expensive but I do love their designs. It is more solid somehow (or I am being myopic cause of my bias who knows). I might get less stuff for my bucks - but at least it is something that I love. And I second what people said about MOPAR products being way high (damn you MOPAR) but one of the reason why they can carry the price is because there is a demand for it I guess.

I also think that while I will support items that are custom manufactured in United States (the subsequent version of the item are better - ie second version of Lange Hoist a Cart - a lot of them are custom made - for instance the soldering point between the metals) there are also a lot of knockoff from China that literally just copy the design.

Thanks to some cool guy over here that recently posted the thread about Lego Technic Jeep (actually I take that back - someone said that this forum creates want and he is so true cause if I have not seen the Lego Jeep I would not know it exist hence I would not buy it). There is this same priced - knockoff from China that people are buying from Amazon but they should have known better. Talking about Amazon - while I shop a lot on Amazon due to convenience and product availability - it is also enabled some unscrupulous seller from China that sells lower quality knockoff at fraction the price. Without Amazon, I don't think that our market would have been inundated with so much crap that are sometimes dangerous and did not meet the quality requirement.

Man I really digress - but I love my Lego Technic Jeep (thanks to you that posted on the forum - I sorta teensy weensy hate you too for sharing - cause along with the toy Jeep I also bought two authentic hats).

Here compare and contrast. Thanks for sharing - you guys are so awesome!

This is the real thang...

81VkJG9k9xL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And this is not - notice something interesting? I guarantee that it was spelled like that on purpose. I left a scathing one star review on Amazon! Mwaa ha ha.

71trUHWwAxL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

(I hope that your Jeep does not look like that Aldo after using those chaineseeee Jeep stuff- I am chaineeeseee myself - so I am allowed to make fun of myself :giggle: )
Design definitely plays a role. I am willing to pay more for a Mopar steel bumper or fuel door for the design aspect, but not for a set of Mopar sill guards or splash guards that don’t even work all that well.

In JL’s specific case, the design of the Mopar LED headlamps looked much better than anything else, so I forked out $900. Only to find out later that DV8 Offroad sells the exact same headlamps for $600...and are much easier to install to boot!

After getting burned once or twice from buying Mopar parts, I am now a lot more cautious.

Sponsored

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
Gosh darn it, you're probably right! Then I'm gonna have to shell out another $12 five years from now. :giggle:
I hope for your sake it doesn't look like crap the whole time. I get it, it's nice to save a $ buy do you truly think its a quality finish for $12 ?

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
I have serious problem!! I love everything authentic - like I would literally pay more for MOPAR stuff than just some non MOPAR item. However, I also noticed that their prices are more exorbitant than any other item but there is something that I love about MOPAR design that adhere to the Jeep look vs. some other that could be more practical and cheaper but sorta (forgive my language) dilute the Jeep look.

I am about to purchase my tubular door (this summer I am GOING to ride with my door off wooo wooo) and I noticed that MOPAR door cost at least $800 (and they are out of stock) while the alternative starts at $250. I do love the design of the MOPAR door (again perhaps it is my bias that I think they look better or their workmanship is better - ie the soldering point of the metal are not as noticeable). But I do feel bad that I am spending money on a product due to its brand name. Same with the recently released MOPAR side mirror. I love how it looks like the regular Jeep mirror but a lot of people were commenting that there are other brands that are better and cheaper. I want to get both MOPAR mirror and tubular door that could have set me back by over $1000 when it is possible to get something that good at less than half the price.

Honest question here - are there any MOPAR aficionado out there that would justify such purchase or am I just crazy. (I know I am crazy in my other ways tyvm - but lets focus on the matter on hand haha) Maybe I am just trying to justify my wants vs needs.

Here are the tubular door from MOPAR and alternative Rugged Ridge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? 7bc2b7b36411d9d1db260d2f8a06e905

MOPAR Tubular Door (over $800) with no mirrors

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? 7bc2b7b36411d9d1db260d2f8a06e905

Rugged Ridge with mirrors - $354.

:facepalm:
To keep knock offs away and for us to support the manufacturer !

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
To keep knock offs away and for us to support the manufacturer !
And don't forget - MOPAR parts have better quality, looks great and it keeps the Wrangler design.

Northernlites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Retired
You think MOPAR parts are expensive, go to a Harley Davidson dealer and check out their pricing on everything. Clothing costs are outrageous, and worse yet, most are made in China!

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive????

Because Mopar is a "for profit" organization.

All of my Mopar accessories have been excellent. Some of my aftermarket stuff is now in my trash container.
I bought a lot of aftermarket stuff for the 21, good portion even from forum sponsors only to get trash. It’s the disappointment part of Jeep Life in my opinion. Lots of scummy and low quality products.

I did buy the Performance Rock Rails from Mopar for the 23 and they are far superior quality then the expensive crap from Road Armor and even better quality then ARB.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I bought a lot of aftermarket stuff for the 21, good portion even from forum sponsors only to get trash. It’s the disappointment part of Jeep Life in my opinion. Lots of scummy and low quality products.

I did buy the Performance Rock Rails from Mopar for the 23 and they are far superior quality then the expensive crap from Road Armor and even better quality then ARB.
Do they bolt to the frame??

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Do they bolt to the frame??

No, the Mopar ones bolt on the same way as the standard Rubicon ones. ARB uses body bolts and requires drilling into the tub (see second pic on why I would not do this again).

Mopar performance rails.
F5B024AB-A621-4BBE-AA79-BF7B54F8A35C.jpeg

5F2BBB51-F448-4945-B113-2253CDE78298.jpeg

ARB after crash.

While I’m sure the Mopar ones would have also damaged the tub, it would have been a easier repair… They will protect from anything I’m likely to put them through.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
No, the Mopar ones bolt on the same way as the standard Rubicon ones. ARB uses body bolts and requires drilling into the tub (see second pic on why I would not do this again).

Mopar performance rails.
F5B024AB-A621-4BBE-AA79-BF7B54F8A35C.jpeg

5F2BBB51-F448-4945-B113-2253CDE78298.jpeg

ARB after crash.

While I’m sure the Mopar ones would have also damaged the tub, it would have been a easier repair… They will protect from anything I’m likely to put them through.
As long as you are happy with them, that's all that matters. They sure look nice.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
As long as you are happy with them, that's all that matters. They sure look nice.

Keeps door dings away, acts as a step for my grandma and will protect from any forrest services roads I go down. Truthfully these rails should be standard on the Rubicon and the other factory rails left for the Willys.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? C40C209F-EC39-4254-AA51-3BD376C72ED2

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
The simple answer, OP, is the same for MOPAR parts as it is for any expensive thing. It's expensive because it can be... because people are consistently willing to pay that high a price.
Sponsored