Sponsored

Why are Wranglers so expensive? Because they can and they make a ton of money on them...

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Buying a Wrangler is like getting a divorce. Expensive but WORTH it.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
I too had great a experience getting my old Mini serviced and the dealers have a very nice place to relax. Really nice coffee, ice cream and mini golf... Local Jeep dealer was a terrible experience, dirty and very disrespectful. Including trying to go up the ladder and it’s only a bigger disappointment.

Mini was also far cheaper... I can see getting another for a commenter car, Jeep is more weekend car and better enjoy wrenching on it.

I am heavily considering their EV model for commuting and running errands around town, and if they introduced an EV convertible I would order one instantly.

Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
The jeep dealer near me is also the BMW and mini dealer.

I wish mine were tied together like that, it would make service super convenient for me. Hopefully the Jeep side adopted the Mini/BMW level of service and not the other way around.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Completely agree. I don't really mind the price of Wranglers, but it'd be nice to get a more premium ownership experience for the money.
Yes. That’s the rub in all of this.

You get shitty service from Ford as well, but at least they are scraping to make a living.

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
Back in 2016 my loaded unlimited rubi was $ 45 K msrp after discount etc ended up paying around $ 39,600 give or take a few dollars but my 2022 is over $ 57 K msrp and even with discount I’ll be paying like $ 50 K for the new jeep so it’s like a $ 10 K increase in 6 years which I think is reasonable, my opinion 🤷‍♂️
When you factor in an average of 3% annual inflation over those 6 years, the actual increase was an additional $2k. So they essentially raised the price $2k in that 6 year period above inflation. $2k works out to be roughly 4%. And if what I saw above is true where the workers were included in the profit sharing, I'm cool with it too.

I'm all for capitalism, just make sure you include the people who build the products.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
btw - I'm not begrudging them for making money. I agreed to the price they were willing to sell it at. But for everyone that says "why are they so expensive?" this is why.
Same reason iPhones and other Apple products are so expensive. They are in the business of making money. Apple, Microsoft both 2 Trillion dollar market caps.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
After reading these forums, if I was running the Jeep division, this is what I’d do:
1. Raise the price by 15%
2. Reduce the quality
3. Force all dealers to make standalone showrooms
4. Reduce time for flat rate jobs to make mechanics cut corners
5. Make more glitzy TV ads. Someone that looks like the marlboro man using his Rubicon at Moab.
6. More Jeep branded doo dads and clothing.

Jeep owners keep buying the product. It’s a brandng and lifestyle thing. People pay a premium and put up with the annoyances.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
At some point, the increasing cost will lower sales figures. Not to the point of decreasing profit margins for some time, perhaps. But Stellantis (or whoever owns Jeep at the time) will have to evaluate whether continued price hikes or better affordability will be the way forward from there.

And the economic environment at that time could be considerably different from today's.
I bought my first new Jeep 45 years ago in 1977. Since then, prior to COVID, I can’t remember a single time when new Jeeps weren’t readily available on dealership lots.

With the exception of times during large-scale war, we‘ve always been able to count on auto manufactures to produce more than we need and rely on competitive/coercive sales techniques and gimmicks to move the inventory. Inventory will accumulate with the softening economy and inflation, and auto manufacturers will cut into their fat profit margins to move it, just as they have since the beginning of time. They‘ve been making make hay while the sun shines, but it’s clouding up quickly…

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
After reading these forums, if I was running the Jeep division, this is what I’d do:
1. Raise the price by 15%
2. Reduce the quality
3. Force all dealers to make standalone showrooms
4. Reduce time for flat rate jobs to make mechanics cut corners
5. Make more glitzy TV ads. Someone that looks like the marlboro man using his Rubicon at Moab.
6. More Jeep branded doo dads and clothing.

Jeep owners keep buying the product. It’s a brandng and lifestyle thing. People pay a premium and put up with the annoyances.
Absolutely! I need another low-quality cooler with crappy Jeep stickers on it — and maybe some Jeep branded Chinese sunglasses that sit crooked on my face and dissolve after a week of being worn.. :CWL:

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Unless they show how much they make on the Wrangler then we don't know jack about why they are so expensive. And let's also not pretend only the Wrangler is expensive and everything else is so affordable. We're exploring getting a 3-row SUV for the wife and it's super expensive out there, used or new.

That a company can barely keep 12 cents out of every $1 they sell shows how thin the lines are between keeping the doors open and not. And that 11.8% is before taxes and other balance sheet items, so that's why their free cash flow, what really matters, was less than half the reported net profit.

GO_RV

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU
My 2004 Jeep Liberty Columbia Edition 4x4 listed for $24,900 in October 2003. It was a lot of money back then. Paid $23,000 including tax. It was built like a tank. I must say of all the many new cars I bought since 1973 it was the best of them all. It lasted me 18 quality years. I pulled it behind 3 RVs over 110,000 miles. Also, I put 115,000 on the odometer. When I replaced it in February it was like losing a son or daughter.
it was family. I know this 2022 wrangler is built like a tank and I am sure it will outlast anything out there in its price range. Price was 100% more than the Liberty but I think it was priced for the current market. So I’m happy. Already pulled it 4,000 miles. Only 2000 on the odometer.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
everything is ridiculously expensive. For giggles i looked at Harley prices. Since 2003 when i quit working at a dealer the price for the top of the line model has gone up almost 8k $ since then.
Sponsored