Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive????

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There's no easy answer here. Generally speaking, Mopar is going to be quality built. Aftermarket parts run the gamut from absolute garbage to almost perfect. You have to research and decide for each particular part.

I don't think aftermarket parts dilute the look of the Jeep. Some parts are better than Mopar or not even available from Mopar. Having a variety to choose from is what makes each of our Jeeps unique.

Here's a case study. I was interested in Mopar cowl light mounts which cost about $140. I found almost identical knockoffs for $12 which I'm very happy with. Sometimes you can't justify the extra cost.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why are MOPAR stuff SO Expensive???? IMG_20200530_123604072_HDR
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
After owning a 2018 JLU Sport S, since new, I can only reason the markup is so high, so they can pay for all the warranty work they have to perform. šŸ˜ž

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Really the Mopar lift kit can be bought online for like 1300 thatā€™s a fantastic value for what you get

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Something I have personally noticed is online Mopar parts pricing vs. over the counter dealer price. Online things appear about 15% cheaper....but ding you with shipping costs making it closer to counter price. If you're lucky and live within driving distance, you can order online first and pay that price. My online Mopar has an option to 'pickup order'. Saves a bit of cost, especially with high dollar stuff. :like:

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
Here's a case study. I was interested in Mopar cowl light mounts which cost about $140. I found almost identical knockoffs for $12 which I'm very happy with. Sometimes you can't justify the extra cost.
letā€™s see how the $12 part looks in 5 years

Sponsored

DeadHead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 1996 ZJ Limited, 2002 Dodge Ram2500
Occupation
Marine construction
Because of the way warranties work.

Your are basically paying for two parts, the one on your Jeep and it's replacement plus labor. If your part doesn't break they pocket the money and call it profit.

They don't do it this way with vehicles because they sell a lot more Jeeps than sets of tube doors and LED light pods. Contrary to what this forum would have you believe, there are millions of Jeeps out there (including mine) that have never been back to the dealership. So the cost of your new axle, transmission, cpu, whatever are calculated (they do know the failure rate of the different parts, one of the places I worked at we expected 5% failure rate) and can be spread out across new sales.

Nothing is free and Jeep is in this to make money and keep investors of $STLA happy.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@KenPewPew i hear what you are saying in keeping things mopar on the jeep. but in reality you are paying for the name. i cant speak for warranty, etc. to be honest, i've looked at the mopar stuff and really have no interest in their aftermarket stuff because i dont see anything special or not liking the design. more so paying the price. but the mopar lift might be one thing i'll keep an eye on. however, i can go the other direction on the mopar lift. due to the fact thats theres plenty of good lifts to choose from and at a competitive price. other things like aux lights, mounts, etc i'll look around and see whats out there. i'll do the research and read the reviews before buying anything that i like. for example the mopar steel winch ready bumper they have is 1300 bucks. but it does not have the winch plate. you have to order that seperate. to me thats b.s. that i have to pay for more parts that should already be included. so in that case, i'm better off getting a arb (or something else) that is complete and cost less then the mopar one. i'm more in being budget minded when it comes down to afermarket for the jeep. but i'm also looking for the best bang for the bucks too. so is quality of the products. i would prefer products made in the usa, but thats getting harder to get a hand on, so just have to go with the flow on that.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Thank you so much for the awesome input!! It is nice to get different opinion - both in favor and against MOPAR parts. The discussion here helps a lot - and has gave me a really good insight of what people in this community are thinking and recommending. I do intend to lift my Jeep with MOPAR kits not because it is better per say - but I am not savvy with car installation and don't trust myself with installing the kit myself or take it to a shop. If it is done by my dealership - even if it is done at a higher price than regular off market lift, I know that I don't have to worry as it is still under factory warranty. I am saying this for myself though because I do have good relationship with my dealership - but also I don't have to worry about being taken advantage or being overcharged.

This forum has provide a LOT of information! I do think that a lot of people go for some off-market high performance items (such as ARB - thanks Chris) but these are the people who are really savvy and know what to do with their ride. I am still learning but I really think that as much as I want to be the savvy Jeep guy who can fix and modify his Jeep - a pipe dream in my case - as I don't think I will ever be able to dismantle something and put it back correctly. Having said that I guess I have to depend on other professionals to do the thing that I want even though it mean that I have to save up for it.

I also love the design of MOPAR equipment. I remember being super excited last year when MOPAR announced the availability of the side mirrors (one that looks like the original mirror) because I have look through a lot of mirrors online but a lot of them detracts from the original Jeep look and feel that I like. Good advice there Andy, James and everyone that contributed - on both the positive and negative note on MOPAR in addition to the warning of evaluating all items on both OEM and off marker items. I will most probably invest on MOPAR Tube Door and the mirror because I do love how they look in the first place. Less upgrades for me due to spending more on OEM but I think at least I am getting the stuff that I love! Jeep is an expensive hobby!! But I have never EVER love a vehicle so much as I love my Jeep!

Thanks for your opinion and input! It really helps! :like:

P.S: I received Quadratec catalog today - and I started to go through the pages! By the fifth page, I decided to throw that catalog away because even at the fifth pages there are two things that I want already and it makes me think and obsessed about these things already! Definitely a dangerous thing to go through catalogs like that! It really creates wants!

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Mopar tax. Just like any other OE manufacturer when you buy those parts that have their name you are paying for that. Usually all the stuff is made by someone else but when they stamp the car name on it you pay the car tax.

Just be glad it isn't a Porsche. The worst tax ever.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For decades Mopar used to be priced slightly higher, but there was an assurance that it would fit, and look better, than aftermarket.

Unfortunately, over the past 5 years or so that stopped being the case: that assurance has pretty much vanished as Mopar has continued to jack up prices steadily. Meanwhile, aftermarket providers have upped their game significantly, both in terms of quality and design.

Recently, on a few instances looking for accessories for my JL, Mopar was both the pricier and shittier option. Thatā€™s the worst possible scenario.

I used to buy Mopar parts and accessories almost exclusively. Now Mopar is just one of many brands Iā€™ll consider. Half the time, I end up buying someone elseā€™s product.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Whatā€™s up with those ridiculous Mopar sill guards, anyway.
I bought a set for $75. They look pretty but do not guard squat. I ditched them for a Quadratec set: cost 50% less and work 100% better. I should have gone with Quadratec from the start.

Same thing with the Mopar slush mats: they work fine but look dirty all the time. The Quadratec mats hide dirt better and cost a lot less.

Then there are the LED headlamps: $900 for the Mopar; $600 for the exact same thing under the DV8 Offroad label. And the halos on the DV8 are much easier to install!

Recently got a tailgate reinforcement on Amazon for $109. Looks identical to the Mopar listed for $600. Pff!

The Mopar soft top cost 33% more than the identical Bestop soft top. Bestop makes both!

Whoever runs Mopar must be smoking something.
Sponsored