Sponsored

Who's leasing? Please step inside!

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yup . The reason is that proven reliability is in demand . Even if you spend $30K for a 2016 2-door JK , you will be both bucks and calmness ahead . More fun , too .

However , if you want to spend a mint on "infotainment" , then forget the cheaper used JK .
I don't think it has anything to do with reliability for most. People go to buy a new JL... sticker shock, see a JK for a fraction of the price and buy them.
The same thing happened with TJ's when JK's came out.
Sponsored

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
For perspective, I had 472 per month with 472 down on a 53600 msrp Rubicon. If I were you maybe consider an entry level rubi as there residuals are also high. And that price is also with a -2k trade deficit included.
What dealership? If you don’t mind. I want to get similar priced rubicon and lease as well. Thanks.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I Leased a 4WD Dakota truck back in 98. New it was a 20K truck back then, Lease was 4 yrs with 15K miles yr. Lease cost was 10K or 219 month. When I turned it in I was under the milage limit. A new 2003 model was now 24K. Buy out was 10K and they gave me 15K on trade for the first year 2003 loaded Rubicon.

Point being with high residuals on jeeps and being in a area where 4WD's sell well, and the rising prices of new jeeps 3 years from now.... You can end up having a trade in value that is above the buy out/residual at the end of the lease.

in my case I got some of my lease cost back in trade in to buy new at the end.

I have also turned in a Honda Civic that buy out was right at used book. In this case the dealer takes it back and gives it to the bank or finance company. Then its auctioned and dealers buy them from auction below book.

So the dealer has the option to offer a trade and pay off the bank if they think they can make a few thousand.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I have some experience here. I had a buddy that continuously leased three different JKURs over a period of time. The residual cost to buy the vehicle out at the end of the lease was always less than the market value plus value of accessories lift ect. He would mod his Jeep as he liked. Run it for the lease period, buy it out, sell it for profit, and start all over. I attempted to replicate this process with a 16’ JKUR but some idiot rear ended it on the highway and bent the frame 2 years in. However the JKUR damaged was still more valuable than the lease buyout so I traded it in with equity and with the insurance repair money as down payment was able to get into a new JLUR at the same payment and lease terms. My plan is to buy it out and keep it at the end of the lease. Yes in the end I will pay slightly more at the end of life but my payments will have been more manageable throughout the life of ownership which can be more important to those on a set regular income. If I sold it after buyout I would expect to make money but only time will tell. My two cents. Take it or leave. Agreed that JK values will drop precipitously due new JL.

Sponsored

BenDiesel

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep wrangler 2 door 6MT soft top
Occupation
rocket scientist
Clubs

I had one sales agent say he always leased then at the end he would negotiate a lower buyout? Any one hear of this?

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had one sales agent say he always leased then at the end he would negotiate a lower buyout? Any one hear of this?
Yea depending on leasing bank; sometimes a dealer or you yourself can negotiate a lower buyout than agreed to on terms of original lease.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Yea depending on leasing bank; sometimes a dealer or you yourself can negotiate a lower buyout than agreed to on terms of original lease.
I have never seen this happen. Dealer has nothing to do with it as its not their car. Why would the bank lower the price if they have your signature on document showing exact residual?

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have never seen this happen. Dealer has nothing to do with it as its not their car. Why would the bank lower the price if they have your signature on document showing exact residual?
I have done over dozen leases. Reason they do this is say you lease a car and upon lease end agreement was 20k buyout. However on market it costs 15k. Sometimes dealers can negotiate a lower price to buy it out for you, or the bank rather than spend money, fixing any damages, attempting to sell at auction and potentially taking a larger loss, they will be willing to sell it for under agreed price. Again it depends. Some banks won’t do that. Depends on car and bank.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
I have done over dozen leases. Reason they do this is say you lease a car and upon lease end agreement was 20k buyout. However on market it costs 15k. Sometimes dealers can negotiate a lower price to buy it out for you, or the bank rather than spend money, fixing any damages, attempting to sell at auction and potentially taking a larger loss, they will be willing to sell it for under agreed price. Again it depends. Some banks won’t do that. Depends on car and bank.
Must very VERY rare. I've also leased my whole life and grew up with my family always leasing so not like I'm new to this lol.
BTW I seen you on forum.LH

Sponsored

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Must very VERY rare. I've also leased my whole life and grew up with my family always leasing so not like I'm new to this lol.
BTW I seen you on forum.LH
Yes I’m trying to track down good lease on wrangler. I’ve leased dozens of bmws and sometimes they allow lower buyout than original lease contract.

reldausa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR Billet Silver
What dealership? If you don’t mind. I want to get similar priced rubicon and lease as well. Thanks.
Interested in this as well. What were the terms? Looking for something similar!

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt your getting out of a JL lease for less than the documented residual value. Reason being Jeep wranglers have one of the best resale values and depreciate the less than almost any vehicle other than a Toyota Tacoma.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One last note. Chrysler Financial (The Typical Lease Lender) infamously under values the residual value on all wrangler models other than the sport. The second hand sales market however does not. This is what allows buyers to lease, buyout, and then selll for more typically.
Sponsored