Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I realize our current JLU headunits are probably not compatible and won't be able to take advantage of most of these UConnect 5 features, but it would be nice to at least have some updates to the user interface like I see in the news release.

I feel like I have stepped back 10 years in technology with the UConnect 4 compared to my previous Android headunit.

VXSKAXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Will not be backwards compatible for current JL’s.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Will not be backwards compatible for current JL’s.
Yes, but given the likely lifespan of the JL of a decade or so, they’ll likely use the UC5 hardware in JLs by the 2022 model year give or take. Shouldn’t be terribly difficult to retrofit if you were so inclined.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Yes, but given the likely lifespan of the JL of a decade or so, they’ll likely use the UC5 hardware in JLs by the 2022 model year give or take. Shouldn’t be terribly difficult to retrofit if you were so inclined.
I would also think it would be more or less possible. Pretty unlikely that the CAN-BUS in general will change at all, so it would just be a matter to active the new node...somehow. Or maybe you can just plug it in and it will work.
I am surprised that they are using Android though. Carplay and Android auto makes sense since even if Apple or Google stop supporting them you still have all the other functionality and can, if needed, update the system to excluded deprecated features.
Given Google's history of canceling products at random, I would not want to base my product on their software entirely.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I would also think it would be more or less possible. Pretty unlikely that the CAN-BUS in general will change at all, so it would just be a matter to active the new node...somehow. Or maybe you can just plug it in and it will work.
I am surprised that they are using Android though. Carplay and Android auto makes sense since even if Apple or Google stop supporting them you still have all the other functionality and can, if needed, update the system to excluded deprecated features.
Given Google's history of canceling products at random, I would not want to base my product on their software entirely.
True, but I’m sure the terms of their contract with Google stipulate a lengthy period of software support...or at least one would hope. Either way, a cheap upgrade this will not be.
Sponsored