Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
It's still listed for the Ram 1500.
does anyone have sales stats comparing how many EcoDeisel Rams they sell versus how many EcoDeisel Cherokees ? I assume the demand will alwasy be very high for the EcoDiesel ram.
Sponsored

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
They could have pulled the EcoDiesel away from the Hrand Cherokee, if they correctly expect demand for the Eco-deisel wrangler to outpace supply, and they need to start hoarding them now to meet expected demand in November ?
Now that would be a great reason to see them pull it for the Grand Cherokee. But I kinda doubt that they would give up potential sales now just to save it for sales later.

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
Agreed and they probably make more off the JGC and would want to sell more of those not less in comparison to the Wrangler.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
does anyone have sales stats comparing how many EcoDeisel Rams they sell versus how many EcoDeisel Cherokees ? I assume the demand will alwasy be very high for the EcoDiesel ram.
Don't know specifically how the EcoDiesel models compare between the two but for sure Ram 1500 outsells Grand Cherokees overall.

It's still listed for the Ram 1500.
That's an encouraging sign at least.

JeepinGeorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Even though the Pentastar will most likely be what I end up with I am really optimistic about the diesel for the JLU and JT models, but for the JL I'm honestly torn between the diesel and the 4cyl. The diesel for obvious reasons, but there's just something about having a 4cyl under the hood. Nostalgia maybe?

Sponsored

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Even though the Pentastar will most likely be what I end up with I am really optimistic about the diesel for the JLU and JT models, but for the JL I'm honestly torn between the diesel and the 4cyl. The diesel for obvious reasons, but there's just something about having a 4cyl under the hood. Nostalgia maybe?
Except instead of the TJ's 4 cylinder's 147hp / 165lb-ft we should see somewhere in ballpark of 300hp/300lb-ft on the Turbo 4 :surprised: Quite an improvement since the last 4 cyl Wrangler.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I absolutely want a diesel and I'm totally willing to wait for it, but seems like the current rumors suggest you won't be able to get it with a manual transmission. Not a deal-breaker, but certainly a bummer.

I have never been a fan of the NSG370, even when it debuted in the last years of the TJ. I miss driving a manual, but I don't miss it in the JK.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
For me, I'll say again, it's diesel or bust. Someone on here made the point that the JK gets worse mileage than most full sized trucks (or similar to) plus, the 3.6 is under powered for loaded road trips and overland excursions. If they don't offer the diesel, I'll give the Raptor a serious look. A JLUR will easily eclipse $50k, and even peg $60k. For that money I can buy a full bells and whistles Raptor, have all the power and capacity I need, and be no worse off in gas mileage.

Come on FCA! Bring the diesel!

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
No doubt, Diesel, or a wait and see approach on the JL. I have to think that if countries in Europe, like Spain for example have a diesel paired with a manual transmission currently ( I'm pretty sure this is the case, but can't read in spanish ). It'd be easy ( just guessing ) for Jeep to offer the same powertrain combo in the US.

The turbo 4 really just doesn't interest me all that much, while I currently have a pentastar, and it's been great, I'd like to see a jump in pulling and mpg's that a diesel offers. If they don't offer this maybe they'll push me to a RAM Truck with a manual / diesel pairing, but I'm still hoping Jeep will deliver.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
I may actually consider the turbo 4 if the diesel is not available right away. I'm not expecting much from the updated pentastar. It's going to need more than a few extra horsepower to sway me. The current one just feels totally gutless. I've driven a few turbo 4 bangers and while they were lighter vehicles all of them felt much more responsive especially at low rpm. If nothing else it will be easy to turn up the boost.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
the 3.6 is under powered for loaded road trips and overland excursions.
No, not really. The weak link is the current transmission options, withe the W5A580's limited spread, low first gear, and small overall number of gears severly limiting both power delivery and efficiency. The Pentastar does fine in the Cherokee and Ram besting many of its competitor's V8s and more recent V6s.

Sure a diesel can outpace it in a similar setup, but for $5,000 extra, the fuel efficiency will never make up for it, however if a Hemi premium were only half that price (the way it is in thise other platforms) it'd have a better ROI than the diesel.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No doubt, Diesel, or a wait and see approach on the JL. I have to think that if countries in Europe, like Spain for example have a diesel paired with a manual transmission currently ( I'm pretty sure this is the case, but can't read in spanish ). It'd be easy ( just guessing ) for Jeep to offer the same powertrain combo in the US.
Currnt 2.8L CRD doesn't meet decades old US emissions, let alone the latest, and even Europe is requiring it be pulled as it isn't Euro6 compliant, and the exceptions expire next year.p, so would need to be a new diesel even in Europe (hence the 3.0L).

As for the manual transmission the current European diesel is crippled, detuned about 60NM/40ftlbs compared to the automatic, and is about 90NM/60ftlbs below max output for the diesel itself, let alone the torque of the Ecodiesel.

"Pulling" and MPG benefits will be less than optimal because it's still hampered by suspension/brakes/etc as well as brick-like aerodynamics.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
"Pulling" and MPG benefits will be less than optimal because it's still hampered by suspension/brakes/etc as well as brick-like aerodynamics.
Riiiight... No body-on-frame, full axle, boxy vehicle has ever been designed to tow.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Riiiight... No body-on-frame, full axle, boxy vehicle has ever been designed to tow.
First and foremost the Wrangler isn't "designed to tow" or get 'great MPG', it's designed to be a "Convertible Off-roading 4x4", any towing capabilities will be tacked onto that basic concept, even in the JT which will need to compromise some towing capabilities for its other party pieces, but like the Power Wagon and Raptor do.
As such, whichever engine is put in there will still be limited compared to a dedicated hauler, and narrow margins.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
So the upgraded Pentastar going into the JL is reportedly not getting direct injection afterall, so that's one advantage it'll have over the direct injected 4 cylinder turbo Hurricane ... no potential carbon buildup.
Sponsored