When will Flat Black go away

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I've often said that if I were to get a muscle car (e.g. Shelby Mustang type of thing), I'd like the body flat black with gloss black racing stripes, or maybe vice versa. But my midlife crisis vehicle is my Jeep, and I love the flat black parts. Having said that, I think a lot of that has to do with the body color (Hella Yella). I'm not sure I would like it as much on some of the other colors.
Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I have a silver Moab, there's the blacked out thing and I like the look. But I'm old and like real chrome on real American made classic cars and Harley's. Don't forget the load pipes.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Being an old guy and growing up in the Chrome world of the 50's and 60's I pretty much tired of everything being flat black. For me it the cheaper way to go for the manufactures and all things being vehicle related, wheels, accessories, and body trim being what I dislike the most.

I want my new 2022 Jeep to have chrome reversed wheels and have that look of the past, OH, I'm a street cruiser and not too much an off roader. OK, I look at a Jeep as a TOY and a fun machine to cruise on the street of Ft. Worth at nights and the bright lights just really make the Jeep stand out. Coming from the motorcycle world where chrome is king I guess I still love the look of it and the sparkle it gives to your ride, so for me the Jeep is no different.
Flat and satin blacks easily complement all vehicle paint colors. Insomuch that recyclable plastic is used for [black] body cladding and trim pieces, their broadband use isn't surprising.

Chrome isn't really what comes to mind where Jeeps are concerned, particularly when examining the history of the Wrangler and especially the CJ era. When in history did a "look of the past" have shiny Jeeps patrolling the streets and trails? Chrome headlight trim rings come to mind, but little else.

Jeeps stand out by virtue of their functionally unchanging bodywork aesthetic. When someone says "Jeep", the average person will think of a CJ or a Wrangler. No other model in the brand can make that claim, no matter how expensive that Trackhawk might have been.

It's instructive to observe that among the many and varied aftermarket wheels available for our JLs, virtually none use chrome in any measurable sense. Even the OEM alloy wheels that use it, do so quite modestly. The market has spoken on the matter.

And chrome is king only in one segment of the much larger world of motorcycling. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away Sheetz

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone remember the CJs that guys would “customize”? They’d put chrome grills, roll bars, KCs, tube bumpers (man I hated those), mirrors, wheels even dashboards, steering wheels and hood hinges. That was cheap aftermarket stuff the flash rusted within a year.

Oh lets not forget the chrome or diamond aluminum rocker guards and rear tub corner guards. Chrome mesh on the headlights and tail lights. Chrome diff covers. The worst thing? A chrome windshield frame. I’ve seen CJs festooned with all of that crap.
I remember seeing pages of chrome parts in the Sears catalog when I was a kid.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
My Harley required about 2 hours spent on the chrome every couple of months. 0000 steel wool and then wax. If I didn’t give it the attention it demanded, there would be little specs on the chrome. That quality of chrome was‘t great, even on a 2016. For that reason, and the harsh ride, I don’t miss it much.

I can think of nothing chrome that would look right on my 2 door Willys. CJs came with hardly anything chromed. The most chrome encrusted factory Jeeps I can recall were the YJ Laredo models.

TheSonofSal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU/JLU
Remember what Henry Ford said …"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black."

Black came before colors and chrome. So to answer your question …never.
Be happy with having the ability to choose what you want and stop worrying about what your neighbour chooses to drive.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

My JK's black had black! Would have been better flat black though.

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 20131031_153924

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away 20131031_153910

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
Chrome belongs on hot rods, Harleys and semi trucks. It has no place on modern passenger vehicles 🤮

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Being an old guy and growing up in the Chrome world of the 50's and 60's I pretty much tired of everything being flat black. For me it the cheaper way to go for the manufactures and all things being vehicle related, wheels, accessories, and body trim being what I dislike the most. I want my new 2022 Jeep to have chrome reversed wheels and have that look of the past, OH, I'm a street cruiser and not too much an off roader. OK, I look at a Jeep as a TOY and a fun machine to cruise on the street of Ft. Worth at nights and the bright lights just really make the Jeep stand out. Coming from the motorcycle world where chrome is king I guess I still love the look of it and the sparkle it gives to your ride, so for me the Jeep is no different. I guess it's just a matter of time as everything changes, what will it be next, who knows. This post is not to take away from flat black as a color, some vehicles really look good, but everything in flat black is taking over the world and it is the cheapest spray paint you can buy at Home Depot, $3.50 per can.
Well you have plenty of company in the world, but in this forum I think we're out numbered.

The dull blacked out look makes me think it needs a wax job. Just being honest.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

chrome bumpers and wheels on muscle cars were chrome plated steel. thats a different animal than chrome plated aluminum, especially wheels. the issue with chrome plated alloy wheels is that they flex while driving, ever so slightly. chrome is a stiff plating. this is why you often see chrome starting to bubble on deep dish wheels; it is beginning to separate from the base layer. if any liquid/material gets under neath, between the layers, it can start causing it to lift as well. if you had chrome wheels/rock rails out on a trail and scratched them, there is no repairing the damage. you would need to strip the chrome and try to sand out the damage and then rechrome (if not too damaged). at least with black wheels, you can easily do some touch up work. also if you damage the chrome, this allows an easy port of entry for contaminants to get under the surface and start causing damage. my wife's lexus had chrome wheels from the factory. the edges of the wheels start corroding from water over the years and the tires began leaking. also hot brake dust landing on chrome wheels can cause damage such as pitting.

as mentioned earlier, chrome is very toxic. the epa has made it so arduous to deal with chrome that most of the chrome shops in CA have closed down. there used to be many. one of the owner told me that they have to have permits and supposedly the EPA was not renewing them so eventually they will all be closed permanently. this is why much of the chrome parts/wheels you can get come from china because much like the honey badger, china doesnt give a F.

chrome over steel is very durable, like the old muscle cars bumpers and trim. chromed aluminum is not so much. its actually susceptible to damage from the enviornment. chrome usually does not last as long on the east coast; especially if the vehicle is not garaged and only driven in the summer.

having parts/wheels chromed, locally, has become quite expensive. costs have risen dramatically in the recent years. mostly due to EPA regulations.
Sponsored