Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Think I’m going to do an oil change drive through at valvoline today. I have 624 miles on my Jeep now. Should I have them change the filter as well? I’ll ask them to put Penzoil SAE 0W-20. 5 quarts!
Sponsored

Last edited:

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Think I’m going to do an oil change drive through at valvoline today. I have about 500 miles on my Jeep now. Should I have them change the filter as well? I’ll ask them to put Penzoil SAE 0W-20. 5 quarts!
You won't hurt anything having the oil changed now. Yes, have the filter changed too.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You won't hurt anything having the oil changed now. Yes, have the filter changed too.
Think I’m going to do an oil change drive through at valvoline today. I have about 500 miles on my Jeep now. Should I have them change the filter as well? I’ll ask them to put Penzoil SAE 0W-20. 5 quarts!
It won't hurt anything. But, it'll be an unnecessary waste of your time and money.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It won't hurt anything. But, it'll be an unnecessary waste of your time and money.
I did it! They put in full synthetic. I figure won’t hurt anything and I like the idea of cleaning out the debris from a new engine. Maybe it doesn’t need it but I feel better that I did it.

sherif JKU

First Name
sherif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all...
Since my work is in lubricants... Please let me share professional advise
It is advised to change the first oil change on 1000 mile then going forward every 6 to 7 k... Reason for first oil change is the nature of initial fill lubricant that the car comes with (storage oil) which is filled for some di purpose... Second after initial 1k the engine parts are sort of fiting on each other and with some tolerances customized... This will make some iron wear (acceptable wear) which you want to loose it the soonest... After first oil change.. U can use the oil for 6 to 7 k and even more with proper topup rate to ensure you give the oil a life kiss freshener so that it can go further...

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all...
Since my work is in lubricants... Please let me share professional advise
It is advised to change the first oil change on 1000 mile then going forward every 6 to 7 k... Reason for first oil change is the nature of initial fill lubricant that the car comes with (storage oil) which is filled for some di purpose... Second after initial 1k the engine parts are sort of fiting on each other and with some tolerances customized... This will make some iron wear (acceptable wear) which you want to loose it the soonest... After first oil change.. U can use the oil for 6 to 7 k and even more with proper topup rate to ensure you give the oil a life kiss freshener so that it can go further...
I just got an oil change at 624 miles. Think I’m ok or should I get another at 1,000? I know some people think it’s overkill but I want my Jeep to last 20 years I really love it and don’t mind paying for the oil change.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I just got an oil change at 624 miles. Think I’m ok or should I get another at 1,000? I know some people think it’s overkill but I want my Jeep to last 20 years I really love it and don’t mind paying for the oil change.
You will be fine if you change based on oil change indicator as long as you are using a high-quality synthetic oil that meets the mfgr's requirements. If you are using a dino or synthetic blend, you would still be fine at 5000 mile intervals. I only use synthetics though and once most of my vehicles are out of warranty, I go to 10000 mile intervals.

3000 mile "recommendations" are only to increase sales for those selling oil changes and are overkill and wasteful in modern car engines.

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Sahara, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
3,500 miles. Put 5w20 Mobil One EP Synthetic with Mopar oil filter. Did the oil change myself at home.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Reason for first oil change is the nature of initial fill lubricant that the car comes with (storage oil) which is filled for some di purpose...
Is the initial fill not the same as the off the shelf oil that can be purchased? I would love to hear more details about this to learn what special oil this is.

Eduardo909

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL MOAB
Did mine at 5,000 miles and got the usual 6 quarts at the dealer after requesting 5. After slowly draining a quart I’m right at the middle of the dipstick.

Sponsored

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
6500 kms with Pennzoil Ultra and Mopar filter. I was at about 40% on the olm. From here on in I'll wait till the olm gets to around 10% to 0% before changing it, any sooner especially with a synthetic is a waste of money. My old Buick with a 3.8 I used Mobil 1 synthetic and let it go till 0% on the olm and after 17 years it still ran like a clock.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Did the first one at 3k. Will continue to do every other one at 3k also. Peace of mind for me. Did my jk the same way and never had a singe engine problem.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Just did my 1st at 4600 miles. I purchased the extended warranty since this is my first Wrangler.
2019 JL Sport S, 2dr, 3.6L 8spd. The extended warranty covers six freebee oil changes. However after reading all the horror stories of how the dealerships know nothing of the vehicles they're selling, I decided to do my own.

Straight by the book as described in this thread, easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy. Mopar MO-349 filter, Mobil 1 AP 0W20 5qts. About 30 to 40 minutes in below freezing temps (Northern Colorado) taking my time.

Oil level is at the top of the hatch mark, with nothing on the wire itself. Oil pressure varies between 30-32 psi, both at startup and warm.

Drove about 20 miles just to determine if I would notice any difference. Found none. I've been averaging just shy of 25 mpg (24.7) using the recommended 87 octane w/ 10% ethanol blend.

I've been driving (even in the mountains) mostly with 2 wheel drive, due to the nice temporate weather we've been having. The Sport S of course has open diffs both front and rear. Nothing as cool and fancy as the Rubi's, but I personally don't rock crawl every day. Not saying I'm not envious, maybe someday, but not for my daily driver.

My point is: just do it yourself. Really easy with the piece of mind of getting it right while having fun with your Jeep. Even if it's not a Rubicon.

Follow the advice here within this forum and go enjoy your Jeep. And certainly with the full knowledge of staying away from the idiots at the dealership oil bays.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Think I’m going to do an oil change drive through at valvoline today. I have 624 miles on my Jeep now. Should I have them change the filter as well? I’ll ask them to put Penzoil SAE 0W-20. 5 quarts!
Nothing wrong with changing your oil early for peace of mind. You get free oil changes at the dealer for the first 2 years. There are some initial examples of dealers adding too much oil but I have not had problems.

Last edited:

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Will pick up my Sahara tomorrow and trying to learn all that I can. There has been very little posted on the oil sensor and reset, when you change your own oil don't you need to do that and how? Thanks for educating a newbie!
Sponsored