Wheel Upgrade

Apex

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Bought a used 2018 JL Unlimited Sport S and I want to upgrade the wheels. What tpms wheel sensors are needed so it will continue to integrate and display on the Jeep console? Also, anything else I should be aware of? I don’t plan on lifting it, but may in the future. Thinking of going -17x9 rim and 33x11 tire.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You can have your original sensors moved over to your new tires. But since they're likely coming up on 5 years old, I'd get new sensors here... https://www.tpmsdirect.com/Jeep_Wrangler_JL_TPMS_Sensors_s/1774.htm

BTW, if you remove sensors from one set and put them in another, you really ought to use new valve stems. They get old and dry and they can be easily damaged during removal. The rubber type are intended as one time installation.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Bought a used 2018 JL Unlimited Sport S and I want to upgrade the wheels. What tpms wheel sensors are needed so it will continue to integrate and display on the Jeep console? Also, anything else I should be aware of? I don’t plan on lifting it, but may in the future. Thinking of going -17x9 rim and 33x11 tire.
https://www.tpms.com/
they have everything you need at great prices - just did my 2021

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer

The aftermarket 17x9 wheel for the Jeep typically has only a 4.25" or so backset. Between that and the added width, it will poke out of those Sport fenders A LOT. Ask me how I know.

OP
OP
Apex

Apex

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The aftermarket 17x9 wheel for the Jeep typically has only a 4.25" or so backset. Between that and the added width, it will poke out of those Sport fenders A LOT. Ask me how I know.
Do you have some pics to share?

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Do you have some pics to share?
Tires are LT285/65/17 Coopers. Wheels are 17x9 Mammoth 8. I went with that tire size to get wider, yet remain the same height as the stock Sport tires (31.5"). I hoped by doing that I could avoid rubbing, but I hoped wrong. Even though they're stock Sport height, sticking out that far causes them to rub on the fender edges even when doing very minor, old man wheeling. If you go to 33" tires, you'll rub quite a bit on the edges.. Maybe even tear one loose.

Not to mention the trash they throw up. Had to replace the driver's side mirror when a rock was thrown off the rear tire pulling on to the highway. I'll be going back to the stock profile wheel--Rubicon pull-offs--as soon as the weather warms up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Upgrade 01tire.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Upgrade 02tire.JPG

OP
OP
Apex

Apex

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t wheels have different offset? I’m looking at Black Rhino Sentinel’s for wheels. I’m thinking I’ll probably do a lift as I’ve been looking at wheel upgrades w/out lifts and it doesn’t look right just a little low.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Don’t wheels have different offset? I’m looking at Black Rhino Sentinel’s for wheels. I’m thinking I’ll probably do a lift as I’ve been looking at wheel upgrades w/out lifts and it doesn’t look right just a little low.
Looking at those wheels on Black Rhino website they are only available in a 17x8.5 -18 offset. You are going to have alot of poke. Here is a 17x9.5 -18 with a 35" tire on a 12.5 wide. you will have about 1/2" less poke.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Upgrade IMG-4521

OP
OP
Apex

Apex

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you that gives me some perspective. Hmmm….I was also thinking of going with the Stock Rubicon 392 wheels as I like the look of those and I think there are a bunch of takeoffs out there for sale. I guess I need to look at the offset for those.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thank you that gives me some perspective. Hmmm….I was also thinking of going with the Stock Rubicon 392 wheels as I like the look of those and I think there are a bunch of takeoffs out there for sale. I guess I need to look at the offset for those.
Just remember, the Rubicon has a wider (1.5" total, I believe) front axle than the Sport. That will allow a tire/wheel with more backspace before rubbing on the frame or other component when turning. Also, the wells of the fenders are higher and deeper on a Rubicon.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Just remember, the Rubicon has a wider (1.5" total, I believe) front axle than the Sport. That will allow a tire/wheel with more backspace before rubbing on the frame or other component when turning. Also, the wells of the fenders are higher and deeper on a Rubicon.
Good point that I didn’t think about. I did add rubi fenders to my sport and the fenders cover a little bit more of the tire. If it quits raining today I’ll take a pic of how it looks now.
Sponsored