Sponsored

Wheel Locks recommendations?

obtix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What wheel locks do you all recommend for the JL? I've found conflicting threat patterns for them online and want to order a set.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
The thread pattern is 14mmx1.5. You can't go wrong with Gorilla or McGard. However, there are a lot cheaper products out there. Some would argue the benefit of wheellocks as they are anti-deterrent vs anti-theft. I hope this helps. Cheers

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP

obtix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The thread pattern is 14mmx1.5. You can't go wrong with Gorilla or McGard. However, there are a lot cheaper products out there. Some would argue the benefit of wheellocks as they are anti-deterrent vs anti-theft. I hope this helps. Cheers
Thank you - it does! Never saw them as anti theft but if there are two cars on the street and one has locks, one doesn't, who do you think they try? I live in an area where this is somewhat common, even knowing that I went with a soft top so even to me security is an oxymoron.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you - it does! Never saw them as anti theft but if there are two cars on the street and one has locks, one doesn't, who do you think they try? I live in an area where this is somewhat common, even knowing that I went with a soft top so even to me security is an oxymoron.
It's well worth getting the full kit, instead of just 1 per wheel. No such thing as too much deterrent.

Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
It's well worth getting the full kit, instead of just 1 per wheel. No such thing as too much deterrent.
I couldn't agree more @Headbarcode!

That's why I opted for the Gorilla 24 pack (96644BDX) so that every lug including the three on the spare is protected. I even have one spare lock just in case I damage or lose one.

I know my factory wheels aren't the most expensive option out there, but I like knowing that anyone who wants to try and steal them is going to have to spend some time trying to get them off.

IMG_20200609_162234.jpg

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Here's another thumbs up for Gorilla. They come in black or chrome.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Locks recommendations? 41uFydXbphL._AC_SY400_

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with McGard Splinedrive for my Method 702.

The finish on them is pretty amazing.

http://www.mcgard.com/product/jeep-...splinedrive-install-tool-1-key-storage-pouch/
Looks like a decent offering although a tad pricey .... Important point to make here is that the wheel itself lets say, can dictate the specific lug you use or can use or should use.

The Gorilla Locking System, I mentioned is a good way to go with the STOCK JL rim offerings. This system may not be the best for say a specific aftermarket wheel.

As for the Gorilla offering, one thing that makes it a great choice for the stock wheel is that the lug itself has a very large conical base. This large base may make it difficult to use with certain aftermarket wheel offerings.

So, do research to see if a specific lug will work with your specific wheel. It's not just about thread pattern....

Large Conical base on the Gorilla:
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Locks recommendations? vvv.JPG

john_k

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '12 GTI DSG, '13 MX-5 GT 6MT, '16.5 CX-5
The Gorilla Locking System, I mentioned is a good way to go with the STOCK JL rim offerings.
Thank you. Just ordered 96644BDX for free next day delivery with 30-day free trial of Prime from Canadian Amazon.

First Name
wholesale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
This is largely going to depend on where you live, work, and frequently travel to. I myself am not personally worried about my wheels being stolen. Get any of these wheel locks https://innovatecar.com/best-wheel-locks/ they lock over your lug nuts and spin freely so even if they somehow manage to hammer a socket over it they still can't be removed.

Last edited:

BillyBaroo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I started another thread on this subject not knowing there was this one even after a search. Does anyone know if the 24 pack fits on the XR wheel set. I assume it will but would like confirmation. Gorilla has a newer lug that has the outer part which spins unless your key is inserted and connects with the inner part. They only come in a pack of 4 which seems crazy if you want them on all of your lugs. You would end up with 4 or 5 keys to keep track of.
Sponsored