Wheel Advice Help

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hello, any help/advice greatly appreciated. I have a 2018 JLUR that has about 33k miles and tires are getting close to needing replacement. I have the upgraded rims (think it is just color though). One option is to get 4 new tires the same or I would probably get 3 and put a used one on the back. I ran into this with my old Jeep and it did not end up costing too much more just to buy new wheels so I am thinking about just upgrading wheels at the same time.

What I do not really know is what is the biggest size wheel I could get without needing a lift or anything. My preference is usually smaller rim and big wide tire. I also do not know anything about brands or deals and what tires etc. Obviously Jeep is looking for over 2k for just 4 new tires installed that same I have it today but I wouldn’t mind spending a little more for an upgrade.

Cheers,
Mark
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hello, any help/advice greatly appreciated. I have a 2018 JLUR that has about 33k miles and tires are getting close to needing replacement. I have the upgraded rims (think it is just color though). One option is to get 4 new tires the same or I would probably get 3 and put a used one on the back. I ran into this with my old Jeep and it did not end up costing too much more just to buy new wheels so I am thinking about just upgrading wheels at the same time.

What I do not really know is what is the biggest size wheel I could get without needing a lift or anything. My preference is usually smaller rim and big wide tire. I also do not know anything about brands or deals and what tires etc. Obviously Jeep is looking for over 2k for just 4 new tires installed that same I have it today but I wouldn’t mind spending a little more for an upgrade.

Cheers,
Mark
Which tires do you have on it now? Not positive of the options in 2018, but currently the BFG AT KO2 is standard with Falken Wildpeak MTs optional, both are 285/70R17, basically the equivalent of a 33x11 or so. For 33k to wear them out, I'd assume you have the MTs, or did not rotate the KO2s often.

Smallest wheel you can use is a 17" to clear the brakes. Stock offset is ~+44.5mm.

If you do not go offroad, in general you can run up to 35x12.50s without a lift. Offroad full stuff that will normally rub.

Most tire manufacturers recommend replacement for age in the 6-10 year range, so you should be okay to run your unused spare with a set of the same tires for another 3 years or so. I would recommend changing to a 5 tire rotation, which should get you some additional mileage out of the set, and keep your spare comparable to the other tires wear wise.

If you upsize tires, you will have to do all four at a minimum, and I'd highly recommend all 5 so you can actually use the spare.

If you don't replace all 5, I'd recommend matching the current brand/model/size for the remaining 4.

Obviously if you only replace 3, you'll need to match brand/model/size.

OP
OP

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Which tires do you have on it now? Not positive of the options in 2018, but currently the BFG AT KO2 is standard with Falken Wildpeak MTs optional, both are 285/70R17, basically the equivalent of a 33x11 or so. For 33k to wear them out, I'd assume you have the MTs, or did not rotate the KO2s often.

Smallest wheel you can use is a 17" to clear the brakes. Stock offset is ~+44.5mm.

If you do not go offroad, in general you can run up to 35x12.50s without a lift. Offroad full stuff that will normally rub.

Most tire manufacturers recommend replacement for age in the 6-10 year range, so you should be okay to run your unused spare with a set of the same tires for another 3 years or so. I would recommend changing to a 5 tire rotation, which should get you some additional mileage out of the set, and keep your spare comparable to the other tires wear wise.

If you upsize tires, you will have to do all four at a minimum, and I'd highly recommend all 5 so you can actually use the spare.
Really appreciate the feedback. I am sure I will get roasted for this but I do not go off-roading. Would like to but not much option where I am and haven’t had a chance to travel yet to do it.

I have the BF Goodrich KO2 right now I think 33s. Looking at prices online for wheels and tires I would like to just get new everything as big as possible without issues. I read the 35x12.50s would be OK but requires some trimming? Not sure how big a deal or how much work that is? Also, if you have any recommendations for tires and wheel brands that are pretty reasonably priced but good please let me know. I know I am asking really basic questions so sorry about that. Love jeeps and had them for 10 years but have not had time with family to really live the Jeep life unfortunately.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Really appreciate the feedback. I am sure I will get roasted for this but I do not go off-roading. Would like to but not much option where I am and haven’t had a chance to travel yet to do it.

I have the BF Goodrich KO2 right now I think 33s. Looking at prices online for wheels and tires I would like to just get new everything as big as possible without issues. I read the 35x12.50s would be OK but requires some trimming? Not sure how big a deal or how much work that is? Also, if you have any recommendations for tires and wheel brands that are pretty reasonably priced but good please let me know. I know I am asking really basic questions so sorry about that. Love jeeps and had them for 10 years but have not had time with family to really live the Jeep life unfortunately.
You'll only get roasted by the old farts who overvalue their opinion. Do what you want since you're the one paying for it. Your MPG will take a hit with larger tires. I would stick to an all-terrain if you don't plan on going off-road. 35s will fit on rubicons. Sometimes tire shops will mount one and let you check clearance. BFG and Cooper are two solid brands. Pay attention to tire weight, best to keep rolling mass down if possible.:like:

Like GatorB8 said below Discount Tire is a great company to work with, if you do not have one nearby I have also had great luck with Les Schwab.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

Wheels are very subjective and styles vary widely. The KO2s you have now are solid ATs, but certainly not the least expensive.

In general, Discount Tire (America's Tire out west) is will offer a solid variety of wheels and tires at competitive prices, and reasonable installation costs. They're all over everywhere I've been.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Wheels are very subjective and styles vary widely. The KO2s you have now are solid ATs, but certainly not the least expensive.

In general, Discount Tire (America's Tire out west) is will offer a solid variety of wheels and tires at competitive prices, and reasonable installation costs. They're all over everywhere I've been.
Thanks. I was looking to probably order online. But may be better to find something in person since I do not really know what I am doing.

Bigger wheels do not void any kind of warranty right?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks. I was looking to probably order online. But may be better to find something in person since I do not really know what I am doing.

Bigger wheels do not void any kind of warranty right?
Discount has an online ship out site, discounttiredirect.com.

Normally not unless the larger tires cause the failure, really depends on how much of a stickler your dealer is on whether you'll have to fight them on it.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I just purchased a set of (5) 285/75/17 BFG KO2s from Discount Tire Direct for $307 each. They were having a flash sale with $110 off instant savings plus an additional 5% off if you use the Discount Tire Credit card. I strongly recommend the DT credit card as it's 0% interest for 9 months. Installation at a local Discount Tire should then run you $22 ea, so an additional $110.

OP
OP

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I just purchased a set of (5) 285/75/17 BFG KO2s from Discount Tire Direct for $307 each. They were having a flash sale with $110 off instant savings plus an additional 5% off if you use the Discount Tire Credit card. I strongly recommend the DT credit card as it's 0% interest for 9 months. Installation at a local Discount Tire should then run you $22 ea, so an additional $110.
Thanks. I think I am pretty much looking to get some bigger wheels at the same time to improve the look of my keep. Just looking for advice on that now as to what to go with.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just for the OPs knowledge. @JABCAT 's 285/75R17s are the same width and about an inch taller than the stock 285/70R17. So around a 34x11.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Just for the OPs knowledge. @JABCAT 's 285/75R17s are the same width and about an inch taller than the stock 285/70R17. So around a 34x11.
Thanks, I did not realize that. I guess I just figure if I am going to be 1200-1500 in I may as well just upgrade as if I end up 3k in I feel like I saved 1200-1500 in the process. I realize that makes absolutely no sense…

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Thanks. I think I am pretty much looking to get some bigger wheels at the same time to improve the look of my keep. Just looking for advice on that now as to what to go with.
Do you want bigger wheels, bigger tires, or both? If you want to see what somewhat larger wheels look like, search for pictures of Saharas as they come with 18" wheels vs the 17"s on the Rubicon. If you want just bigger tires then you can go up to 34"s (like I posted above) or 35"s on your stock wheels.

I will say the tire choices for larger wheels is pretty slim compared to the 17"s. I actually picked up a set of oem 17" Willys wheels & the tires I mentioned above for my Sahara Altitude that is coming in because the options for wider tires on the 18"s was slim pickens.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Check the threads "Rubicons on 35s" etc. Be sure to pay attention to offset/backspacing w/ the new wheels so you won't have tires poking out like a skateboard or tucked too far in where they will have contact issues at your fenders & suspension. Sticking w/ a 17" wheel will result in a larger tire & wheel selection, it will also have a bit softer ride from the taller sidewalls, and 17" wheels and tires are typically cheaper. If you do end up using your Jeep on the trails 17" wheels/tires also perform better when aired down as they have a larger footprint and better compliance w/ rocks. Just a baseline, but a 17x8.5 +10 offset will allow good room for the suspension to flex and not poke out too far. The less positive on the offset the further out your wheels will poke. Here's a good site for comparing different setups. It can be a lot to digest at first but it's time well spent to get things just the way you want.
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Check the threads "Rubicons on 35s" etc. Be sure to pay attention to offset/backspacing w/ the new wheels so you won't have tires poking out like a skateboard or tucked too far in where they will have contact issues at your fenders & suspension. Sticking w/ a 17" wheel will result in a larger tire & wheel selection, it will also have a bit softer ride from the taller sidewalls, and 17" wheels and tires are typically cheaper. If you do end up using your Jeep on the trails 17" wheels/tires also perform better when aired down as they have a larger footprint and better compliance w/ rocks. Just a baseline, but a 17x8.5 +10 offset will allow good room for the suspension to flex and not poke out too far. The less positive on the offset the further out your wheels will poke. Here's a good site for comparing different setups. It can be a lot to digest at first but it's time well spent to get things just the way you want.
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Great info @blnewt

OP, although it doesn’t sound like you plan to lift, if you do, a backspace of 4.5” or less will give you more options (especially in the higher end of the lift spectrum). If not, I agree with the low positive offset recommendation, keeps your tires under the fenders for the most part.
Sponsored