Sponsored

what tools have you lost by dropping them into the recesses of your Jeep?

Devil Dog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2016 JKU, 2023 Rubicon 392
Not my Jeep, but when I was in the service I was helping a buddy work on his omni. While the hood was up, he left a bottle of beer between the windshield and hood. When he closed the hood, the beer bottle got smashed in between. Broke the bottle and cracked the bottom of the windshield :(
Sponsored

Swisskidd

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 Corvette, 23 JL Sport Base Earl
Occupation
Automotive Restoration
Not my Jeep, but my 2018 Fiat 124 Spider has these holes on the sides of the engine compartment. They are in the worst possible place; large enough to swallow small sockets, nuts, bolts, washers, but too small to get my fingers in them.

I ordered a pair of hood struts and dropped a socket, a nut and bolt in one of those holes. Had to drive to Harbor Freight to get one of those extendable telescopic magnet pens to fetch the debris.

The struts only took 15 minutes to install; fishing the stuff out with the magnet took another 45... 😫

1673188052114.jpeg

1673188536720.jpeg
Using towels to protect your fenders can come in handy in many ways. Prevents possible paint chips when a tool or bolt drops, and keeps covering these awkward holes.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Not a tool and not inside the engine bay but... how about a half case of oil left on the front bumper of my JK ?......... made quite the mess after I stopped at the end of the block and left again, didn't know what I hit and when I looked in the mirror was pissed that some jackass left whatever junk on the road that I hadn't seen and ran over.
A few miles later it dawned on me who the jackass was... quite the cleanup ensued
Not a tool and not inside the engine bay but.. does this count ?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
10mm on short extension. Ran off under the hood, unable to find it. Now riding around with someone else in my '13 somewhere......
Isn't it the joke of the internet that 10mm socket is the most lost tool? I don't remember if it was a joke or a serious post but somewhere I saw a picture of a set of 10mm sockets you could buy- different lengths and drive sizes.

Had to drive to Harbor Freight to get one of those extendable telescopic magnet pens to fetch the debris.
I was working on one of those cars that is so packed underhood that you could pour water on the top and it wouldn't come out the bottom... I removed the EGR from the intake and a little metal gasket fell into the mess. I spent 15 minutes looking for it with a strong light, finally found it way down in there. I extended my magnet and carefully went for it. Then I discovered it was stainless steel and not magnetic! I had to use other long tools to retrieve it.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
If you’ve ever walked the shoulder of a highway, you’d be amazed at all of the sockets, small hand tools, nuts, bolts and screws laying there or in the grass next to the shoulder. Most of which have fallen off of vehicles that they were dropped in.
I think that's where my socket and socket wrench ended up. I possibly left them on my fenders and then drove somewhere. Socket wrench and 10mm socket nowhere to be found.

Sponsored

jcruse64

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4-door
If you’ve ever walked the shoulder of a highway, you’d be amazed at all of the sockets, small hand tools, nuts, bolts and screws laying there or in the grass next to the shoulder. Most of which have fallen off of vehicles that they were dropped in.
My Pop drove a UPS truck for 30 years, and I couldn't count the number of sockets, wrenches, knives, and stuff he'd see on roads and stop and pick up.

Not a Jeep, but somewhere in the engine bay of my Jetta TDI is the driver-side headlight housing door, after I screwed it off and fumbled the ball at the goal line.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Isn't it the joke of the internet that 10mm socket is the most lost tool? I don't remember if it was a joke or a serious post but somewhere I saw a picture of a set of 10mm sockets you could buy- different lengths and drive sizes.
Yep. Got these for Christmas.

Jeep Wrangler JL what tools have you lost by dropping them into the recesses of your Jeep? 71yv-4VT1bL._AC_SL1500_
Sponsored