What octane is everyone running?

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
I guess I am safe with whatever hear in Australia.. If I opt for "premium" fuel to get all the nice engine cleaning additives my choices are usually 95 or 98 octane.... I normally just use 95 because paying between AU$1.50-$2.00 per Litre hurts (someone can do the math to convert that to US$/Gallon)... So I will go without these 3 octanes. I'll get myself a snack instead. Some Fuel for the Jeep, some fuel for me. :)
From my reading the difference in fuels be it "top tier", or regular are the additive packages the companies put in.... the rest is regulated in U S , I like package from SHELL or SUNOCO mate....If I am wrong please advise folks...
Sponsored

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how come they have access to ethanol free fuels in the Midwest - where they actually grow the corn, but I don't have access to it here in new jersey - where the only things we grow are liberals?
I don't think the two points will make a difference , however if it was ethanol free, then big difference , gas burns better as it is not as heavy as ethanol, or visa versa,... but damn, it is exspensive in Florida...having said that if i can afford it , i will use a non ethanol on occasion with high octane rating to " clean" things up , but trial and error...

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the two points will make a difference , however if it was ethanol free, then big difference , gas burns better as it is not as heavy as ethanol, or visa versa,... but damn, it is exspensive in Florida...having said that if i can afford it , i will use a non ethanol on occasion with high octane rating to " clean" things up , but trial and error...
they got that 85 shit..

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
From my reading the difference in fuels be it "top tier", or regular are the additive packages the companies put in.... the rest is regulated in U S , I like package from SHELL or SUNOCO mate....If I am wrong please advise folks...
I think that is pretty much the case here... I almost always fill at Caltex and they have a 'regular' and 'premium' range... the premium is normally reserved for higher octane fuels... 98 is almost always premium, 95 will be either regular or premium... But you will rarely see both 95 premium and 95 regular in the same servo, even though Caltex has both (maybe they are phasing out regular 95 as it's not on their website). But even then the two premiums have different packages, with their most "advanced" goodies being reserved for 98... Not to mention that you then also have to make sure that you fill from a reputable servo otherwise you risk poorer quality fuel due to it being old, contaminated etc as it is up to the servo itself to, well, store it safely.

So in short, at least in Australia, getting good quality fuel is a stab in the dark and blind trust that the servo is a good one. But rule of thumb, higher octanes have a better chance of having nice packages... At least 91 is the lowest octane we will find and even that is getting rarer.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
91 octane here, not from a top-tier brand. My commute is 10 miles each way, all local roads with lots of traffic from people trying to go into NYC. My last two fillups have me at a shade under 21 mpg (actual calculation, not dash readout). I'm honestly impressed, all things considered - pretty efficient for a box with wheels.

Sponsored

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 octane here, not from a top-tier brand. My commute is 10 miles each way, all local roads with lots of traffic from people trying to go into NYC. My last two fillups have me at a shade under 21 mpg (actual calculation, not dash readout). I'm honestly impressed, all things considered - pretty efficient for a box with wheels.
I have been extremely happy with the gas mileage on the 2019 J L 2 door sport, averaging 21-22 in the city and better on highway and extended highway,the tops have been off and except for the occ. A/C regardless, A C has been off I drive it "like I stole alot", and am still pleased overall, with mileage, course our other vehicle is a 2016 Toyota crewmax, 4X4 5.7L,but we just tow a gas tanker behind when traveling...

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that is pretty much the case here... I almost always fill at Caltex and they have a 'regular' and 'premium' range... the premium is normally reserved for higher octane fuels... 98 is almost always premium, 95 will be either regular or premium... But you will rarely see both 95 premium and 95 regular in the same servo, even though Caltex has both (maybe they are phasing out regular 95 as it's not on their website). But even then the two premiums have different packages, with their most "advanced" goodies being reserved for 98... Not to mention that you then also have to make sure that you fill from a reputable servo otherwise you risk poorer quality fuel due to it being old, contaminated etc as it is up to the servo itself to, well, store it safely.

So in short, at least in Australia, getting good quality fuel is a stab in the dark and blind trust that the servo is a good one. But rule of thumb, higher octanes have a better chance of having nice packages... At least 91 is the lowest octane we will find and even that is getting rarer.
Agreed, if you can afford it I think( old school mentality) non ethanol in a higher octane would be best, do I have empirical data....nope...but i DO KNOW if i had to give up my wife and house for the jeep, I sure would be lonely in that tent...just kiddin dear.....................................................................sorta

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
how come they have access to ethanol free fuels in the Midwest - where they actually grow the corn, but I don't have access to it here in new jersey - where the only things we grow are liberals?
That's actually funny cause I was thinking the exact same thing. All the corn states had ethanol free pumps in fair abundance (some gas stations only had ethanol free too and they weren't even more expensive) and it's really the only areas I've been to where that's offered. I've never seen an ethanol free gas station anywhere on the east coast.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's actually funny cause I was thinking the exact same thing. All the corn states had ethanol free pumps in fair abundance (some gas stations only had ethanol free too and they weren't even more expensive) and it's really the only areas I've been to where that's offered. I've never seen an ethanol free gas station anywhere on the east coast.
As far as i see, all about the Benjamins, poor bastards up North have E85, and will pay ricdiculous for Non-ethanol, and transportation costs in area is cheaper...

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
they got that 85 shit..
As a fellow Florida jeeper, we run hot . I can’t help but wonder if the higher octane would be beneficial.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
x100! Save that corn for Tortillas!

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 is a turbo, so I run 93 and everything is great.

I just wish I could run E85 in it like I can in my Tahoe