Sponsored

What is the normal engine temperature?

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I've been wondering about this myself. I think highway temps are around 190F, but when I start climbing the normal temp is above 212F and it's not uncommon to see it get to about 230F. Then the fan kicks in and drops the temp about 10 degrees in about 10 seconds or less.
Sponsored

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I've been wondering about this myself. I think highway temps are around 190F, but when I start climbing the normal temp is above 212F and it's not uncommon to see it get to about 230F. Then the fan kicks in and drops the temp about 10 degrees in about 10 seconds or less.
this sounds about right for the 3.6 at least. Mine is exactly what you describe/

PunksJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I've been watching the coolant temperature swings on my 2019 JLUR 2.0 E-Torque with some concern. Normal range seems to be 195, but I've noticed it quickly rises even on moderate grades or even accelerating on a highway on-ramp. The attached photo is on a moderate grade about 1 mile long at a steady 70 mph. I have seen it hit 228 F. What is interesting is the digital bar gauge or the radial bar gauge. At 228 F it barely seems to move off the spot where it sits at 195 F. The bar gauges seem pretty useless without a high and low number but my JL running 228 F with the bar gauge staying below midpoint is encouraging that it is not running too hot.

Next month I'm planning on my annual trip to Burning Man and will be pulling a 5'X8' U-haul trailer. I'll be taking Interstate 80 from Cheyenne Wyoming to Reno Nevada. I should be well under my tow rating of 3,500 lbs. but I do have some concerns about overheating on several of the long grades. I've even ordered the Gladiator grill inserts to give me as much airflow to the radiator as possible.

IMG_3482.jpg

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Is been well over 100 degrees lately. My Jeep runs cooler (190 degrees)when itā€™s very hot compared to more moderate temps in the 80s when I see temps closer to 210. High outside temps apparently kick in the fan operation more aggressively.

Sponsored

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜51 M38
Not just the fan, but remember you have a thermostat in the coolant loop too. At lower temps the thermostat is closed and coolant doesnā€™t circulate through the radiator. At a prescribed temp, the thermostat opens and the coolant loop through the radiator is allowed, this will often lower temperatures relatively quickly.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I've been watching the coolant temperature swings on my 2019 JLUR 2.0 E-Torque with some concern. Normal range seems to be 195, but I've noticed it quickly rises even on moderate grades or even accelerating on a highway on-ramp. The attached photo is on a moderate grade about 1 mile long at a steady 70 mph. I have seen it hit 228 F. What is interesting is the digital bar gauge or the radial bar gauge. At 228 F it barely seems to move off the spot where it sits at 195 F. The bar gauges seem pretty useless without a high and low number but my JL running 228 F with the bar gauge staying below midpoint is encouraging that it is not running too hot.

Next month I'm planning on my annual trip to Burning Man and will be pulling a 5'X8' U-haul trailer. I'll be taking Interstate 80 from Cheyenne Wyoming to Reno Nevada. I should be well under my tow rating of 3,500 lbs. but I do have some concerns about overheating on several of the long grades. I've even ordered the Gladiator grill inserts to give me as much airflow to the radiator as possible.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the normal engine temperature? IMG_3482
You don't want a visual gauge that is too accurate. I had a Porsche that had a very accurate visual gauge and it drove me crazy as it would climb towards the red then the fans would kick on and bring it back down. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was normal. I think the manufacturers do it on purpose or they would get a ton of calls.

PunksJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Well I definitely need to quit watching the digital temperature gauge as it is driving me crazy! Lol. Can I trust the bar gauge though?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Well I definitely need to quit watching the digital temperature gauge as it is driving me crazy! Lol. Can I trust the bar gauge though?
The only time you might want to watch it when towing in hot weather or climbing mountain passesā€¦.

Joeshek

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
hi all
my temperature never goes above 177 and when it is cold out like now .. i always get the engine temperature is too low for the start / stop not available message on the dash..
and it seems like forever to get heat..
is this a bad thermostat? and if so which one do you guys recommend for a replacement

thanks in advance!

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
hi all
my temperature never goes above 177 and when it is cold out like now .. i always get the engine temperature is too low for the start / stop not available message on the dash..
and it seems like forever to get heat..
is this a bad thermostat? and if so which one do you guys recommend for a replacement

thanks in advance!
Not sure there is a big aftermarket for thermostats. I'd say the OEM is your best bet.

Joeshek

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
Dealership here is a joke.
350 dollars later did a few updates and everything was supposedly fine..
But apparently it isnt....

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is why they buffer it in the middle range (like all car companies do). If it gets too hot, you'll see it then on the gauge. Also, if you just use Centigrade, it makes life easier. There's a reason in racing we set up alarms for things like temp and pressure. At times you'll see the temps rise in certain situations (i.e. the draft at Daytona) where it's out of your control and know that the engine can handle it.
Sponsored