What GPS do you use

notacon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler sport unlimited
Sorry I forgot, the in-reach mini pairs to my iPad mini via blue tooth. I have no issue with not having real time location and tracking since I went to this system.
Sponsored

marie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tuscadero JL Rubicon
Sorry I forgot, the in-reach mini pairs to my iPad mini via blue tooth. I have no issue with not having real time location and tracking since I went to this system.
In reach mini, that's a great investment. External gps + map subscription on a tablet is the ideal setup for frequent overlanders I heard.

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JL392, 22 Yukon Denali, 18 F250, 17 Dutch Star
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
Fuc-it-friday guys.

Question what GPS app do you favor, works without dropping signal, most Jeepers use, or what you think.

Thanks in advance
I’m a paid subscriber of Gaia - for a few months now. I haven’t tried OnX, but I think it’s comparable. I chose Gaia because the overall annual cost was lower. Here are the things I love about Gaia:

• Offline maps. You can easily pre-download one (or more) geographical area of selected map layers. Once loaded, it works seamlessly with or without cell service.
    Jeep Wrangler JL What GPS do you use IMG_7137.PNG
  • The trail maps are comprehensive and accurate.
  • Tracking / Recording. Just push a button and Gaia will record your track - it also changes the colors so you aren’t confusing your current track with other tracks. You can toggle visibility of pretty much anything, and that goes for your recorded tracks too. I've forgotten to stop recording several times, and Gaia has a very handy editing to to adjust the beginning or the end of any track.
    Jeep Wrangler JL What GPS do you use IMG_7138.PNG
  • You can display multiple map layers at once, with custom transparency.
    Jeep Wrangler JL What GPS do you use IMG_7136
  • Import Tracks. Lots of previously recorded trail tracks out there on various sites, and you can import them easily. This lets you see if you are taking the correct turns and staying on the right trail. I’ve downloaded many tracks from https://www.jeeptheusa.com/trails.html - Gaia can import their .gpx files with no problem.
  • Photo Attachments to recorded tracks. I usually take a few photos while I’m out on a trail - I use my iPhone camera app to take photos that end up in my camera roll. Then later I can tap a button and link them to the recorded track - Gaia automatically picks the correct photos - I don’t have to discern which photos go with which track - it knows!
    Jeep Wrangler JL What GPS do you use IMG_7139
  • Export / share the track in various formats - kml, geojson, gpx, csv.

OP
OP
XX4XEXX

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’m a paid subscriber of Gaia - for a few months now. I haven’t tried OnX, but I think it’s comparable. I chose Gaia because the overall annual cost was lower. Here are the things I love about Gaia:

• Offline maps. You can easily pre-download one (or more) geographical area of selected map layers. Once loaded, it works seamlessly with or without cell service.
  • The trail maps are comprehensive and accurate.
  • Tracking / Recording. Just push a button and Gaia will record your track - it also changes the colors so you aren’t confusing your current track with other tracks. You can toggle visibility of pretty much anything, and that goes for your recorded tracks too. I've forgotten to stop recording several times, and Gaia has a very handy editing to to adjust the beginning or the end of any track.
  • You can display multiple map layers at once, with custom transparency.
  • Import Tracks. Lots of previously recorded trail tracks out there on various sites, and you can import them easily. This lets you see if you are taking the correct turns and staying on the right trail. I’ve downloaded many tracks from https://www.jeeptheusa.com/trails.html - Gaia can import their .gpx files with no problem.
  • Photo Attachments to recorded tracks. I usually take a few photos while I’m out on a trail - I use my iPhone camera app to take photos that end up in my camera roll. Then later I can tap a button and link them to the recorded track - Gaia automatically picks the correct photos - I don’t have to discern which photos go with which track - it knows!
  • Export / share the track in various formats - kml, geojson, gpx, csv.
This is great! 1 question...as we all typically loose cell signal unless we use a GPS service can it still log your route with a pre DL map or is that wishful thinking? I'd assume not as we dropped signal but just thought is ask.

Thanks everyone!!

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JL392, 22 Yukon Denali, 18 F250, 17 Dutch Star
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
This is great! 1 question...as we all typically loose cell signal unless we use a GPS service can it still log your route with a pre DL map or is that wishful thinking? I'd assume not as we dropped signal but just thought is ask.

Thanks everyone!!
you still receive gps signal, with or without cell service. So everything works perfectly as long as you pre-download the map layers where you’ll be wheeling.

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Used Gaia to track me for the six hours it took to run the Texas Hill Country Route. Worked great. Buddy had it going while we explored Bridgeport OHV. Worked great out there too.

JP52

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR

Thanks everyone!!

I have been using GAIA for years and I love it. You can download huge detailed maps (there are many different maps to choose from including nautical maps) at the full resolution available online. You can't do that with OnX which is a major limitation. As Bender mentioned everything works the same with downloaded maps as when you have cell service but I'll add that if you want to use the auto routing feature offline you need to be sure to check the box to download the necessary data when you download the map. That does make the file bigger.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I use a Garmin Drivesmart 65 which stays in the glove box until I need it. I'll use the phone until it runs out then pull out the drivesmart.

Also plug it in monthly to update the maps/software/etc.

I also have a garmin inreach for emergencies and texting out of cell range.

I've run into SO many people stuck in the backcountry here in CO. I can't even count. All I can I do is stop and give some suggestions, maybe try to pull them out and go on my way. I can't save the world lol but I do what I can.

I've seen people HOURS DRIVING distance from cell reception walking around in the snow holding their cellphones in the air :)

IF you have an inreach with account for emergencies and a GPS you can can get help pretty quick. There are volunteers who run around the backcountry helping people. You might get stuck and hungry for a few days w/o anything but someone will come around eventually :).

fireaustin

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2021 JTM
I liked OnX Offroad until I was in Silverton and it wouldn't use my offline maps. So I am in the middle of nowhere with no idea where I am. Was so pissed off.

Apparently you need to start it up while you have cell service first, and then never have it crash or exit the app. I ran into some other guys out there that had it working and that's what they told me.
Interesting. I used it elk hunting in Colorado with no cell service the entire trip and it worked just fine.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
much Gaia love here... i never really was a fan of it on a handheld device.
for dumb dumb on road directions i have an old garmin on the dash, for trails or specific routing i like OsmAnd+ on handhelds.

Sponsored

OP
OP
XX4XEXX

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
So I downloaded both GAIA and OnX and I prefer OnX for user friendly interface but everywhere I read OnX doesn't work without cell service but GAIA does. Can some clarify this.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I will try Gaia next time. Was not impressed with OnX Offroad the last time I used it.
So I downloaded both GAIA and OnX and I prefer OnX for user friendly interface but everywhere I read OnX doesn't work without cell service but GAIA does. Can some clarify this.
You can download maps for offline use with OnX Offroad. However, that feature did not work for me and left me in a bit of a bind not knowing exactly where I was in the middle of BFO.

I have written to OnX for clarification on how this is supposed to work, and maybe an explanation as to why it didn't work for me when I needed it the most. I confirmed on my phone and on the web site that I did indeed have the maps downloaded for the area I was in where it didn't work.

andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have been using Garmin GPSs to explore off road and back roads for 20 years. I prefer GPSs to phones or tablets because the reliability. I used a Garmin Montana for 6 years and it was still working great when I sold it. A couple of years ago, I bought a Garmin 276Cx (bigger screen, easier to see in sunlight, buttons instead of touch screen). I always buy the Garmin City Navigator Maps for my GPSs. I use RAM powered mounts. I do most of my route building on Garmin Basecamp. Basecamp got a lot of bad press when it came out because it was so different than previous Garmin map products. I think it has turned out to be a good mapping tool and a great map storage system. The learning curve is steep but there are a lot of online tutorials to get you started.

Garmin Montana in my TJ.
Jeep Wrangler JL What GPS do you use gps

Friends Jeep with a Garmin GPS on the left of the driver.
Jeep Wrangler JL What GPS do you use i-ZtVVMv6-X3

Here is my 276Cx also showing camera and walkie-talkie mount..
i-zXZvL9F.jpg
Sponsored