JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Fuc-it-friday guys.

Question what GPS app do you favor, works without dropping signal, most Jeepers use, or what you think.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I just use Google Maps for most since it can be downloaded for offline use. For trail use I use Trails Offroad. You can download entire states with just a click.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
Fuc-it-friday guys.

Question what GPS app do you favor, works without dropping signal, most Jeepers use, or what you think.

Thanks in advance
I'm using OnX Offroad for off-roading, it has a bit of learning curve downloading offline maps etc. but it does a great job showing public vs private land, trails, etc. I bounce between android auto and the factory GPS on road trips when there's no cell signal.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)

notacon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler sport unlimited
I use GAIA GPS on my iPad mini for trail navigation and Garmin in-reach mini for gps signal. I have other off-road apps for trails and download the GPX file to gaia if I want to run it. The GAIA gives me the biggest selection of overlays for public land, private land, MVUM trails etc and covers the entire US. Works great for me.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm using OnX Offroad for off-roading, it has a bit of learning curve downloading offline maps etc. but it does a great job showing public vs private land, trails, etc. I bounce between android auto and the factory GPS on road trips when there's no cell signal.
I liked OnX Offroad until I was in Silverton and it wouldn't use my offline maps. So I am in the middle of nowhere with no idea where I am. Was so pissed off.

Apparently you need to start it up while you have cell service first, and then never have it crash or exit the app. I ran into some other guys out there that had it working and that's what they told me.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use GAIA GPS on my iPad mini for trail navigation and Garmin in-reach mini for gps signal. I have other off-road apps for trails and download the GPX file to gaia if I want to run it. The GAIA gives me the biggest selection of overlays for public land, private land, MVUM trails etc and covers the entire US. Works great for me.
I liked OnX Offroad until I was in Silverton and it wouldn't use my offline maps. So I am in the middle of nowhere with no idea where I am. Was so pissed off.

Apparently you need to start it up while you have cell service first, and then never have it crash or exit the app. I ran into some other guys out there that had it working and that's what they told me.
I've downloaded OnX areas to my phone and haven't had any issues with no cell service. The offline map seems to be decent, just not very detailed. Now that I say that, it'll crash on me.

The factory Nav also has a bread crumb feature, "Trails" but unfortunately it has to be turned on each time you start the Jeep. Obviously it won't help you get to where you're going but I have used it to find my back to the main road.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I've downloaded OnX areas to my phone and haven't had any issues with no cell service. The offline map seems to be decent, just not very detailed. Now that I say that, it'll crash on me.
What I thought they meant was as long as you launched OnX while you had cell signal, it would utilize your offline maps once you lost cell service. But if you didn't start OnX before you were out of cell phone range you're SOL even with the offline maps downloaded.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

I'll echo your frustration with OnX. Offline Maps appear to work occasionally at best. Frequent car play errors, and it tends to get wonky when the app is running in the phone background and is on car play.

Reactions: LKG

marie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tuscadero JL Rubicon
Anyone using a Garmin GPS device with downloaded openstreetmap? I'm still trying it out. Location service from a phone is quite unreliable.

Sponsored

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I thought they meant was as long as you launched OnX while you had cell signal, it would utilize your offline maps once you lost cell service. But if you didn't start OnX before you were out of cell phone range you're SOL even with the offline maps downloaded.
Interesting, I'll have to dive in some more. I haven't been too far off grid with it yet, I may have caught just enough of a sig to keep it happy.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I use my Garmin Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar watch. It’s the first smart watch I’ve ever owned and it’s pretty awesome. Its battery life is measured in weeks, not hours, and in the off-chance I do need to charge it, I can just plug it in to the USB port for a few hours and be good to go.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Interesting, I'll have to dive in some more. I haven't been too far off grid with it yet, I may have caught just enough of a sig to keep it happy.
There is some sort of in-between. On shorter trails you may be able to stay within the cached map on OnX. Longer ones, we eventually drive right off the map, even if we already have the off-line version.

Reactions: LKG

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

notacon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler sport unlimited
Anyone using a Garmin GPS device with downloaded openstreetmap? I'm still trying it out. Location service from a phone is quite unreliable.
I use the in-reach mini for gps location and gaia gps for maps, the new overland layer is awesome it has both off-road trails and the gaia street maps on one layer.
Sponsored