Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Based on everything you've said...

Right now the Jeep will do just about everything you want it to do, except run a couple kayaks on the roof. You don't want to do any serious off-roading yet, nor any serious camping. It doesn't make a lot of sense to start spending money on either one until you get a feel for what you want to do.

I'd suggest you get out there and start doing it!

Get a roof rack that's capable of holding the kayaks and start heading out with the boys. You have plenty of room for camping gear. Start small, like you mentioned, a decent tent and a grill and you're set. Maybe a cooler.

Once you start taking little trips you'll start getting a feel for what you want in terms of equipment both for camping and for your Jeep.
Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Stock Jeeps are very capable. Get out and enjoy it as it is and decide what else you need. Doesn't pay to put $1000s into modifying it if rock crawling is not your immediate goal. I've gone all over Colorado and Utah with a stock Ranger, F150, and LJ Jeep. A few scrapes due to operator error, but a stock Jeep is far less limiting than most vehicles.

The camping stuff does not need to be crazy expensive and far less complicated than what you laid out. Be comfy at night (i.e. don't scimp too badly on sleeping stuff!), have a single burner stove to cook (to start), a cooler for beer, a folding chair, and I suppose some water. Done.

Figure out what you want to be better as you use it, and adjust as necessary. The possibilities are endless and you will drive yourself bonkers trying to have it perfect to start.

Just start (with a reasoned prep) and enjoy... part of the adventure fun is also finding reasons to get new toys!

OP
OP
Night Krawler JLU
First Name
Kaden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Sport 2020
I dunno... what do you want to do more, lift or go camping?
You know one thing that the responses have really m
Based on everything you've said...

Right now the Jeep will do just about everything you want it to do, except run a couple kayaks on the roof. You don't want to do any serious off-roading yet, nor any serious camping. It doesn't make a lot of sense to start spending money on either one until you get a feel for what you want to do.

I'd suggest you get out there and start doing it!

Get a roof rack that's capable of holding the kayaks and start heading out with the boys. You have plenty of room for camping gear. Start small, like you mentioned, a decent tent and a grill and you're set. Maybe a cooler.

Once you start taking little trips you'll start getting a feel for what you want in terms of equipment both for camping and for your Jeep.
I know my problem is I always jump the gun on stuff when I should wait and just see what I like. That's why I've been researching a lot about it because it obviously isn't cheap. One thing a lot of these posts has made me think about, which I 've asked myself this thousands of times but the more input I get from different people, the more I'm able to narrow it down or even create an even balance. Like the reason for the lift, 100% the look of it. Ever since I was little I've wanted a big jeep (who doesn't of course). But the purpose of option 2 would be for where I want to go and what not. But now I'm really thinking like okay, this is still a daily driver you know. Like if I go on trips, because of work and school and what not, I'm not going to be gone all the time, year-round. Illinois doesn't have much to offer either haha! Like I said, I know eventually I'll get a lift, or eventually I'll get that camping gear. And I feel like camping gear is definitely one of those things that I can spend a little bit here and there and it won't take a hit like a full lift would you know? I don't know if that makes sense but I appreciate your response!

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Where are you planning on camping where you need to be on top of your vehicle. I've been camping for 40 years and never thought "Man! I wish this was on top of my vehicle", especially when nature calls and you're climbing down some stairs in the middle of the night.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Before considering a RTT watch this:

If I were you I would put a rubi suspension on that jeep, sliders and metal bumpers and spend the rest on camping gear. My budget was 15k. I could have build a solid rig with that and be the envy of many jeepers, but instead I spent about 3k on it and it is super capable. The 12k went into an offroad camper that is gonna build memories and experiences for me and my family. I am into off roading, but not extreme, so spending the 15k on the Jeep would have been instant gratification for something that Id probably sell in 5 or 7 years.

Ive been camping since I was a baby. with $500 you can buy a tent thats better than any RTT honestly. Also many companies such as expad (or is it exped) make camping mattresses that are waaay more comfortable and lighter than the thin foam pads on RTTs.

Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I bought Rubicon takeoff wheels, takeoff suspension, and frame rails. Then I bought a bumper and a winch. I figure that will get me started without going too crazy right off the bat. Oh and my Jeep still isn't even here yet. It will be a 2021 JLU Sport in Gecko green.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I bought Rubicon takeoff wheels, takeoff suspension, and frame rails. Then I bought a bumper and a winch. I figure that will get me started without going too crazy right off the bat. Oh and my Jeep still isn't even here yet. It will be a 2021 JLU Sport in Gecko green.
Youll be surprised what your jeep can do. Get some quick disconnects.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Youll be surprised what your jeep can do. Get some quick disconnects.
I knew there was something else I needed to buy 😉. Which would you recommend? I definitely agree. The mild lift that I will get from the Rubicon suspension and the 33 inch Wildpeak MT's should be extremely capable. From what I've seen you don't need lockers except for all but the most challenging situations. And, even without, the winch and bumper should provide me with another option if the Jeep just can't handle it.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I knew there was something else I needed to buy 😉. Which would you recommend? I definitely agree. The mild lift that I will get from the Rubicon suspension and the 33 inch Wildpeak MT's should be extremely capable. From what I've seen you don't need lockers except for all but the most challenging situations. And, even without, the winch and bumper should provide me with another option if the Jeep just can't handle it.
Thats what I have, the rubi suspension on 33in wildpeaks. smitty 3rd gen winch and JKS quick disconnects. Although I am on a 2 door Jeep so I dont really need more clearance. I agree with you on lockers, I was planning to get ARB lockers but so far I havent need them.

I like the JKS quick discos, they can keep your sway bar at factory angle when connected. Theyre way better quality than factory links, but you have to cut off a tab off the axle for clearance. A useless tab though. You can disconnect with hand tools, and I did for a while. The quick discos way easier. When I went to install my quick discos I had to cut off an upper bolt off the drivers link. I think all the manual disconnect/reconnect damaged it somehow.

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
You’re not too far from Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan. Take a weekend trip over there… camp at the campsite (borrow a tent if you have to) and see if that can’t help you figure out exactly what you want/need.

Earlier this year I did a bunch of upgrades and then went out to Moab. I had the most amazing trip. Now I want a lift, 35s, and a small travel trailer. I’m old so tent camping just doesn’t appeal to me or my lower back for that matter.

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Go with camping gear and bumpers first. A stock Jeep on 33s can get you to like 80% or more of the cool camp sites out there.

Plus, once you start weighting it down with gear and racks and bumpers, you'll have a better idea how much of a suspension upgrade you'll need to best carry it all. See how low it settles with the extra weight, then decide on the right lift.

This is basically the same approach I'm taking with my current Jeep, too, after learning lots of lessons on my first one. Besides, this approach gets you out there having fun much faster.

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
I agree with getting the camping and camping support equipment first. Like most members said, the Jeep Wrangler is very capable. Then as you venture further and further into the wilderness add the equipment bit by bit to get you to those more "hard" to reach destinations.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I don't buy things for appearance, I buy the gear that I need to make my next trip work. I've done a number of trails in Colorado with completely stock JLU Sport. I was ready to do trails in Utah and needed more durable tires and more clearance so I got Rubi takeoffs. I have a lot of old camping gear but bought a few more items, and I'll buy more before my next trip. With Rubi takeoffs I don't feel like I need to add anything else to the Jeep to go where I want to go, but I end up on a lot of dirt or gravel roads so I decided that mud flaps are high on the priority list.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
If you are in your early 20’s don’t spend that money. Put $6k into your IRA. And make sure to max out your contribution every year. Pay yourself first, not the retailers who are selling you stuff. You have time on your side which is something you’ll never get back. The maximum power of compound interest is at your disposal and it continues to erode every year you delay building your next egg. Subscribe to Money or Kiplingers paper magazine and read it cover to cover for two years. After that the articles tend to repeat themselves so there’s no reason to continue your subscription. Read Peter Lynch’s “One Up on Wall Street” and Thomas Stanley’s “The Millionaire Next Door.”

Your Jeep can already go places most SUVs and trucks cannot go. Buy a good trail guide and camping guide for your state or region. Find a buddy who loves the outdoors as much as you do to go with you and split the cost of trip expenses. He (or she) will be much better asset on the trail than the equipment you plan on buying. If you are lucky your after market equipment might last a good ten years. Your memories will last for decades.

If you want to splurge on something nice for yourself get a dependable bushcrafting knife from a reputable maker along with a blade sharpening kit.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you are in your early 20’s don’t spend that money. Put $6k into your IRA. And make sure to max out your contribution every year. Pay yourself first, not the retailers who are selling you stuff. You have time on your side which is something you’ll never get back. The maximum power of compound interest is at your disposal and it continues to erode every year you delay building your next egg. Subscribe to Money or Kiplingers paper magazine and read it cover to cover for two years. After that the articles tend to repeat themselves so there’s no reason to continue your subscription. Read Peter Lynch’s “One Up on Wall Street” and Thomas Stanley’s “The Millionaire Next Door.”

Your Jeep can already go places most SUVs and trucks cannot go. Buy a good trail guide and camping guide for your state or region. Find a buddy who loves the outdoors as much as you do to go with you and split the cost of trip expenses. He (or she) will be much better asset on the trail than the equipment you plan on buying. If you are lucky your after market equipment might last a good ten years. Your memories will last for decades.

If you want to splurge on something nice for yourself get a dependable bushcrafting knife from a reputable maker along with a blade sharpening kit.
1000% correct, but it's so not what the OP wants to hear. :LOL:

Maybe if it's put this way...
Hey OP, how would you like a brand new JLR for $250? That's all the hard earned money I paid for mine, along with 7 years of investment patience. That's what "pay yourself first" means. Do with less in your 20's, invest your money, and in your 30's thru retirement you'll always have something to skim if you need it. It seems like chump change at first, but compound interest and exponential growth are wonderous things.

And yes, your Jeep is already very capable as-is. My stock '90 YJ-S took me on very memorable adventures and your JL is way more capable than that. You don't need all the extra stuff, especially when you're young.
Sponsored