Sponsored

What do to tailgate when upgrading to 35s?

MASKMayhem

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I am finally upgrading the tires to run 35's and I was wondering what should be done with the tailgate? I have done some research, some say leave it as is, some say it is a must to reinforce it. I see a lot of repositioning the tire mount and tailgate reinforcements that come together by different companies, mopar, rough country, etc. but I see most of those don't do much for the hinges, just add a plate to help strengthen the tailgate. What are you doing, not doing, to your tailgates? I have a 2018 JLU Sport. I was thinking of adding the rough country tailgate reinforcement and tire relocator. Thoughts? Anyone like or dislike these? Do you have something else that you really like? Still looking around and i have a little time before I purchase. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I have a 19 JLU and run the Rough country relocation bracket and extended the bump stops to be firm against the tire. I’ve wheeled multiple times over the years on rocks and my son is a goalie for ice hockey so I am constantly opening and closing my tailgate to fit his bag in. No issues to this day with 30k on the odometer.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
There are a couple factors you need to consider:

Weight:
-the factory forged wheels are lighter than anything aftermarket that i am aware of. Most aftermarket wheels are heavier, or significantly heavier.
-Tire weight for the same size vary greatly based upon brand & sidewall construction. The C rated KO2’s are the lightest AT tires in 35 & 37”. (I went with the Falken AT3W’s and they are a close second)

Bumper notch
-If you stick with factory bumper & wheels, and upgrade to 35’s, you most likely will not clear the cutout in the rear bumper. (This happened to me on my 19JLUS with factory wheels and 35” tires. On my 21 JLUR it cleared no problem)
-if you do not clear, then you will need a relocation plate. BUT, don’t forget to add the weight of the plate to what you are adding with the bigger tires.

Tire Width
-when you bump up to a 35” tire you have multiple option fo tire width. Most people go with the 35’s that are more than an inch wider than the factory tires. I went 285/75r17 to give me almost the same height as 35’s, but keep the width closer to stock. This helps with clearance on the suspension and fenders, as well as the tailgate tire bumpers.

cheers

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I think the Rough Country plan will work great. The tailgate reinforcement doesn't just strengthen. It transfers some load from the panel to the hinges. For the price, it's a pretty good solution.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This is the single most common topic on this forum and there is nothing new to be said. If you settle into your easy chair, you’ll have days of reading ahead of you.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
OP
OP

MASKMayhem

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
This is the single most common topic on this forum and there is nothing new to be said. If you settle into your easy chair, you’ll have days of reading ahead of you.
Thanks. I have a hard time finding threads at first, but I have a couple that have been suggested at the bottom of this thread. Great fun researching and hearing what others have been successful with. Good stuff!

OP
OP

MASKMayhem

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Welcome to the forum Jesse.

I moved the tire up 2 inches with this:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/spare-tire-relocation-kit-wrangler-jl

It was a really simple install of less then 30 mins. The hinges on these Jeeps are more than adequate for holding a 35" tire.

I also needed these to extend the bump stops to the tire:

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-2-9105G-SPARE-BUMPER/dp/B01IDM1OCE
Thanks for sharing. I have read that the hinges are an upgrade from the jk versions? Not sure but with the reinforcement bracket and the tire relocation, this should work for now!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Welcome to the forum Jesse.

I moved the tire up 2 inches with this:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/spare-tire-relocation-kit-wrangler-jl

It was a really simple install of less then 30 mins. The hinges on these Jeeps are more than adequate for holding a 35" tire.

I also needed these to extend the bump stops to the tire:

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-2-9105G-SPARE-BUMPER/dp/B01IDM1OCE
In case someone just needs a half inch or so on the bump stops, the OEM JK ones should get you about another 1/2"-1" per [Banned Site]'s video on youtube.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I am finally upgrading the tires to run 35's and I was wondering what should be done with the tailgate? I have done some research, some say leave it as is, some say it is a must to reinforce it. I see a lot of repositioning the tire mount and tailgate reinforcements that come together by different companies, mopar, rough country, etc. but I see most of those don't do much for the hinges, just add a plate to help strengthen the tailgate. What are you doing, not doing, to your tailgates? I have a 2018 JLU Sport. I was thinking of adding the rough country tailgate reinforcement and tire relocator. Thoughts? Anyone like or dislike these? Do you have something else that you really like? Still looking around and i have a little time before I purchase. Thanks everyone!
I have a 2021 Rubicon with the factory steel bumpers. A few weeks ago, I upgraded to Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT315/70R17 which are 34.6" diameter. I have the stock 17 x 7.5" OEM wheels. No changes were required to the tailgate, or anything else. The new spare tire lightly rubs the steel bumper cut out when closing, but is is very minor.

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I have a 19 JLU and run the Rough country relocation bracket and extended the bump stops to be firm against the tire. I’ve wheeled multiple times over the years on rocks and my son is a goalie for ice hockey so I am constantly opening and closing my tailgate to fit his bag in. No issues to this day with 30k on the odometer.
Same here!

lopab23

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willy's
I installed my RC hinge reinforcement several months ago and the door closes a little rough. I removed the tire and re-aligned the hinges (or so I thought). Without the tire the door closed perfect. After hanging the tire again, it's closing hard. Any tricks for how to align this? Also, I'm following torque specs for the bolts; should I add a little more to get this tighter?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I installed my RC hinge reinforcement several months ago and the door closes a little rough. I removed the tire and re-aligned the hinges (or so I thought). Without the tire the door closed perfect. After hanging the tire again, it's closing hard. Any tricks for how to align this? Also, I'm following torque specs for the bolts; should I add a little more to get this tighter?
If the gaps change at the edges of the tailgate with the tire on, can you align it with the tire on?

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2021 Rubicon with the factory steel bumpers. A few weeks ago, I upgraded to Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT315/70R17 which are 34.6" diameter. I have the stock 17 x 7.5" OEM wheels. No changes were required to the tailgate, or anything else. The new spare tire lightly rubs the steel bumper cut out when closing, but is is very minor.
do you have a picture? I'm surprised the gem rim width wasn't an issue. specs on that tire say rim width 8-11 inches
Sponsored