We're far from done with production hell

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Not sure Wranglers are the high margin vehicles you think they are, with everybody and their sister claiming to have gotten 10% below FWP on this board.
I ordered my JLU for 5% under "invoice", but I'm under no illusion that the dealer wasn't taking profit. As well they should. The light bill won't pay itself.

It's all a matter of degrees.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure Wranglers are the high margin vehicles you think they are, with everybody and their sister claiming to have gotten 10% below FWP on this board.
Sure they are.

Automakers can bury a ton more profit into body-on-frame vehicles than they can into unibody construction vehicles.

That’s part of the reason we see $10,000 or $15,000 rebates on pickups, but hardly ever on things like Grand Cherokees or Explorers.

Moreover, those 10% discounts we used to see on JLs were coming mostly from dealers, not the factory. Just imagine how much money FCA is pocketing from each Wrangler.

Having said that, FCA must kick back some of those fat profits back into dealers in the form of holdback payments, so dealers can offer a discount if they have to.

LSUMaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
True, but I'm not sure Wranglers are the high margin vehicles you think they are, with everybody and their sister claiming to have gotten 10% below FWP on this board.
And FCA knew that, and now Stellantis knows that, and they price accordingly. It's just a pricing scheme, and it won't affect their bottom line.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
And FCA knew that, and now Stellantis knows that, and they price accordingly. It's just a pricing scheme, and it won't affect their bottom line.
My post was sort of a joke, but since it landed flatly I'll move on. Stellantis' net profit margin was 0% in 2020, and only 4% in 2021. Since they've slashed production in 2021, they will struggle to cover the overhead costs of operating its plants. If that is a scheme, it's nothing to brag about.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Sure they are.

Automakers can bury a ton more profit into body-on-frame vehicles than they can into unibody construction vehicles.

That’s part of the reason we see $10,000 or $15,000 rebates on pickups, but hardly ever on things like Grand Cherokees or Explorers.

Moreover, those 10% discounts we used to see on JLs were coming mostly from dealers, not the factory. Just imagine how much money FCA is pocketing from each Wrangler.

Having said that, FCA must kick back some of those fat profits back into dealers in the form of holdback payments, so dealers can offer a discount if they have to.
Stellantis recently reported 11% gross profit margins and no net profit last year. FWP-10% doesn't leave much profit to the corporate parent.

Sponsored

LSUMaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
My post was sort of a joke, but since it landed flatly I'll move on. Stellantis' net profit margin was 0% in 2020, and only 4% in 2021. Since they've slashed production in 2021, they will struggle to cover the overhead costs of operating its plants. If that is a scheme, it's nothing to brag about.
That does not mean that they are not making profit on the Wrangler! The Wrangler is their cash cow!

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That does not mean that they are not making profit on the Wrangler! The Wrangler is their cash cow!
They are likely making some profit from the wrangler line, but not much of one. Wranglers are usually less than 10% of overall Stellantis volume, so the margins would have to be really fat for it to make a difference in the bigger picture. Cherokees and Ram pickups are likely the more important profit generators. I also struggle with seeing wranglers as "cash cows" when their most vocal enthusiasts will only buy them when it results in a loss to either the dealer or manufacturer. Do you know anybody who paid anywhere close to asking price for one? I don't, and Stellantis' P/L statement would be a lot flusher if they did. Their numbers are public information, and they are not pretty. Once in a while Jeep Wranglers will drive a swing in profitability, usually around a model redesign, but not consistently. With respect to dealers, their margin is ~ 8% at MSRP, and a loss can result from selling below 97% of FWP -- but at least they can make it up on trade-ins, service and parts.

Last edited:

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
They likely are likely making some profit from the wrangler line, but not much of one. Wranglers are usually less than 10% of overall Stellantis volume, so the margins would have to be really fat for it to make a difference in the bigger picture. Cherokees and Ram pickups are likely the more important profit generators. I also struggle with seeing wranglers as "cash cows" when their most vocal enthusiasts will only buy them when it results in a loss to either the dealer or manufacturer. Do you know anybody who paid anywhere close to asking price for one? I don't, and Stellantis' P/L statement would be a lot flusher if they did. Their numbers are public information, and they are not pretty. Once in a while Jeep Wranglers will drive a swing in profitability, usually around a model redesign, but not consistently. With respect to dealers, their margin is ~ 8% at MSRP, and a loss can result from selling below 97% of FWP -- but at least they can make it up on trade-ins, service and parts.
It sounds like you're reading financial statements. Of course there is no profit on a financial statement. Any accountant worth his/her salt will tell you that profit on a corporate financial statement is a big no-no. Profit on a financial statement means you have to pay taxes and shareholders really dislike it when corporations pay income taxes. It cuts into their dividends.
To truly know if a company is making money you have to look at stock price, stock price trends, stock sales volumes, and dividend payouts.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
They likely are likely making some profit from the wrangler line, but not much of one. Wranglers are usually less than 10% of overall Stellantis volume, so the margins would have to be really fat for it to make a difference in the bigger picture. Cherokees and Ram pickups are likely the more important profit generators. I also struggle with seeing wranglers as "cash cows" when their most vocal enthusiasts will only buy them when it results in a loss to either the dealer or manufacturer. Do you know anybody who paid anywhere close to asking price for one? I don't, and Stellantis' P/L statement would be a lot flusher if they did. Their numbers are public information, and they are not pretty. Once in a while Jeep Wranglers will drive a swing in profitability, usually around a model redesign, but not consistently. With respect to dealers, their margin is ~ 8% at MSRP, and a loss can result from selling below 97% of FWP -- but at least they can make it up on trade-ins, service and parts.
70% to 75% of FCA's global profits have been coming from North America; the bulk of that from sales of Rams, Wranglers, Grand Cherokees --NOT Cherokees-- and Gladiators.

I don't think anyone needs to feel bad for FCA/Stellantis not making enough money off Wranglers. In fact, due to inventory shortages, profits are up across the board in 2021.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It sounds like you're reading financial statements. Of course there is no profit on a financial statement. Any accountant worth his/her salt will tell you that profit on a corporate financial statement is a big no-no. Profit on a financial statement means you have to pay taxes and shareholders really dislike it when corporations pay income taxes. It cuts into their dividends.
To truly know if a company is making money you have to look at stock price, stock price trends, stock sales volumes, and dividend payouts.
That's an easy way to rack up message board likes, but not true in real life. Sarbanes Oxley guarantees jail time for management teams who sign off on misstated financials, and Arther Andersen *was* an auditing firm until they were criminally charged with committing financial fraud with Enron. Dividends can still be paid without profits - many companies pay dividends out of current cash balances, and some issue debt to pay them. And show me an Apple shareholder who is unhappy with profits the company puts on the financial statement. To equate a company making money with stock price movements is naive, as there are many unprofitable companies that are stock market darlings. Think of a stock price like the sales price of a wrangler...the cost to build them is relatively stable, but the prices dart around, reflect changes in supply and demand as buyers and sellers transact in the marketplace.

Last edited:

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
70% to 75% of FCA's global profits have been coming from North America; the bulk of that from sales of Rams, Wranglers, Grand Cherokees --NOT Cherokees-- and Gladiators.

I don't think anyone needs to feel bad for FCA/Stellantis not making enough money off Wranglers. In fact, due to inventory shortages, profits are up across the board in 2021.
"Cherokees" was meant to be inclusive of the family, but even if broken out basic Cherokees still outsell Gladiators 2-to-1. There were no net profits last year, and I don't see how shutting plants and selling fewer cars and trucks helps on that front - dealers with inventory = yes, manufacturer = not really. That was my point. North America generated $6B operating profit (not bad) but net profits were like below-MSRP 392s....nonexistent.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Material availability logistics are nuts right now. Cottage companies around the US are being hit hard just like the big industry leaders out there.

I've been trying to put together a semi-ultralight hiking and bikepacking setup for a friend, but lead times are long or nothing more than a best guess for custom made items.

I'm thinking the next two years will be... interesting, but I'm hoping a normalization or calming of the waters will start to be seen before then.

On the bright side my Jeep expenditures have dropped. Not because I've ran out of mods to do, but because nobody has stock for the components I need... I mean want! ;)