Sponsored

We're far from done with production hell

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
If you're waiting for your Jeep order, patience will be your best friend.

CBC just reported that the Windsor assembly plant, where the Pacifica is built, extends its shutdown due to microship shortage. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/stellantis-wap-shutdown-extended-may-10-1.6015817

So it seems like Stellantis can't fix its production hell problem.

Meanwhile, Elon Musk's Teslas are being built at a very fast pace.

As Michael Scott would say, "how the turntables..."
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you're waiting for your Jeep order, patience will be your best friend.

CBC just reported that the Windsor assembly plant, where the Pacifica is built, extends its shutdown due to microship shortage. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/stellantis-wap-shutdown-extended-may-10-1.6015817

So it seems like Stellantis can't fix its production hell problem.

Meanwhile, Elon Musk's Teslas are being built at a very fast pace.

As Michael Scott would say, "how the turntables..."
Tesla’s entire production is what, 200,000 vehicles a year?

That’s how many minivans Windsor alone can produce in a good year.

My guess is Stellantis is routing whatever chips it has to models that bring in the fattest margins, like Rams, Wranglers and Gladiators.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I own a company in the chip space, so I have too much knowledge of this stuff ...

This is way beyond just Stellantis, or even the auto industry. Apple, GE and Samsung are just three of the large companies who expect to have billions of dollars cut from their revenue stream. As for Tesla, many companies work on a longer inventory path than the “Just in time” auto manufacturers, but it is inevitable they get hit. There are too many small components and chips in a Tesla for them to go unscathed.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I own a company in the chip space, so I have too much knowledge of this stuff ...

This is way beyond just Stellantis, or even the auto industry. Apple, GE and Samsung are just three of the large companies who expect to have billions of dollars cut from their revenue stream. As for Tesla, many companies work on a longer inventory path than the “Just in time” auto manufacturers, but it is inevitable they get hit. There are too many small components and chips in a Tesla for them to go unscathed.
Cue the 3k refurbished iphones. Steel is the same and probably going to get worse before it gets better, the steel fenders I just got have gone up $400 since I ordered, for 2.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've purposely avoided monitoring the ever-expanding valuations of what I have in the garage, and possibly also in the safe. ;)

Just from reading representative threads, like this one, I can reasonably estimate how much bank I'd make if I sold X, Y or Z. The real problem right now aren't the replacement costs, but rather if another X, Y or Z can be purchased at any price.

It's a mixed blessing to know that certain of our possessions are liquid in a manner, or to a degree, not previously witnessed. Is the juice worth the squeeze, though?

Joe Z

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Edition
Just got word this evening our Willy's JLU is in, pick it up Saturday. From order to pick-up will be 3 days short of 4 weeks. Started production 6 days after the order. Built in Toledo, and truck carrier to Elkhart, In. I was told a week ago it was on the carrier, for some reason it took a week to arrive.

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Just got word this evening our Willy's JLU is in, pick it up Saturday. From order to pick-up will be 3 days short of 4 weeks. Started production 6 days after the order. Built in Toledo, and truck carrier to Elkhart, In. I was told a week ago it was on the carrier, for some reason it took a week to arrive.
Hope ours comes that fast. Ordered 2 and a half weeks ago. Meanwhile Vroom keeps offering more and more for our JKU

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I've purposely avoided monitoring the ever-expanding valuations of what I have in the garage, and possibly also in the safe. ;)

Just from reading representative threads, like this one, I can reasonably estimate how much bank I'd make if I sold X, Y or Z. The real problem right now aren't the replacement costs, but rather if another X, Y or Z can be purchased at any price.

It's a mixed blessing to know that certain of our possessions are liquid in a manner, or to a degree, not previously witnessed. Is the juice worth the squeeze, though?
I am going to sell off my motorcycles. Not sure if the market is strong for them but now seems a good time to sell off a bunch of toys I don't use anymore. This craziness can't go on much longer.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Cue the 3k refurbished iphones. Steel is the same and probably going to get worse before it gets better, the steel fenders I just got have gone up $400 since I ordered, for 2.
there are certain chips that just about all manufacturers use, ranging from phones to toasters. For those, the bigger players will outbid/threaten to get it first, so Apple will likely fair better than most. As for steel, you can add in lumber, copper and just about anything else related to infrastructure and homes. If you need to buy anything with electronics in it, buy it now.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am going to sell off my motorcycles. Not sure if the market is strong for them but now seems a good time to sell off a bunch of toys I don't use anymore. This craziness can't go on much longer.
I've toyed with the idea of selling the Russian conveyance. I'm still undecided. It's a working motorcycle, meaning I've used it to carry flowers, groceries, friends, etc. The new Wrangler is the New Girl, though. She gets a bit more of my attention these days.

Jeep Wrangler JL We're far from done with production hell Ural at Sheetz

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Tesla’s entire production is what, 200,000 vehicles a year?

That’s how many minivans Windsor alone can produce in a good year.

My guess is Stellantis is routing whatever chips it has to models that bring in the fattest margins, like Rams, Wranglers and Gladiators.
True, but I'm not sure Wranglers are the high margin vehicles you think they are, with everybody and their sister claiming to have gotten 10% below FWP on this board.
Sponsored